What paint for coachlines? (Yellow on to Green)

DHutch

Featured Posts

Can someone recommend a good quality gloss for painting the coach lines on? There are yellow onto dark green/red so not the easiest to cover, but also need to stay put for 8-10 years.

We brush paint then, with masking tape each side, somewhat using them tidy up the boundary between the red and green, width is about 12mm or 1/2 inch.

Happy to do to coats if needed, although would obviously prefer not to. Dont know.if sign writing paint would be suitable as it tends to go clalky fast, but equally the brandless stuff we bought from a canalside outlet in a hurry was a mistake last time as it was thin as it comes and a pig to get it to cover.

Daniel

Can someone recommend a good quality gloss for painting the coach lines on? There are yellow onto dark green/red so not the easiest to cover, but also need to stay put for 8-10 years.

We brush paint then, with masking tape each side, somewhat using them tidy up the boundary between the red and green, width is about 12mm or 1/2 inch.

Happy to do to coats if needed, although would obviously prefer not to. Dont know.if sign writing paint would be suitable as it tends to go clalky fast, but equally the brandless stuff we bought from a canalside outlet in a hurry was a mistake last time as it was thin as it comes and a pig to get it to cover.

Daniel

Always used standard paint. The same type as the boat is painted in. Stopped using undercoats to help with colours - like red. The lighter undercoat shows when the tape is removed, as it was the first coat down and shows at the edge.

Cut a 4" gloss roller down to fit just a bit more than the coach line width. More than an inch, about an inch and a half. Roll into the coach line space and lay off with brush. Produces very even and glossy lines without too much build-up. It avoids creating an overly noticeable step at the tapes edge.

Key up with a scotch type pad. Vacuum and tak rag. If you use good quality tape, leave until the coach line is a bit more than touch dry, before removing. Any bleeding under the tape will be less cured than the paint exposed to the air. Bleed spots can be removed with a soft rag, with a small amount of white spirits, leaving a clean edge to your coach line. Do not linger, if you do use white spirit impregnated rag. The rag pulled tight over a good thumb nail is useful.

Two coats of paint should do. It is very fast to paint. I would recommend using a small piece of plastic to stick to the lower edge of the tape. It only needs to be a couple of feet in length, to be moved as you work along the coach line. This to contain any spatters that may be caused by the brush or roller flicking of paint onto the main body of the cabin side.

You only need to key up for the first coat. The whole job would usually be done and finished within 24 hrs. Two coats can be done, with a few hours between, on hot days.

Edited by Higgs

I'd recommend One Shot mid chrome yellow lettering enamel, available by mail order from Wrights of Lymm, already mentioned, or W Habberleys Meadows of Chelmsley Wood, not far from Birmingham airport. You may want to consider an initial coat of white undercoat over the green to aid coverage. Many of the coach painters I work with use Trimaco Easy Mask Kleen Edge tape, readily available from chandlers or decent decorator's merchants, Craftmaster is also excellent. Good luck!

Dave

All signwriting paints are high opacity, pigment rich synthetic enamels, formulated to cover well, usually in one coat. Yellows are less dense, I've found, I often have to second coat on the rare occasion I use the colour out of the tin. Naturally they are comparatively expensive, but if they get the job done....

Dave

Seams like Toplac 'yellow' it is, can't find anywhere with either Tahiti Yellow or Japlac other than as new old stock, or Wrights of Lymm.

The latter appears to have 'Wright-it' and 'One shot' gloss enamels, I have heard of one-shot plenty of times which is slightly more but not much. As said, the website is terrible.

Daniel

I'll stick with my One Shot Mid Chrome Yellow recommendation, readily available from quoted sources. I'm less sure, from Matty's pictures, why the letter colour has to match the coach line...I usually try to do something complementary but different, feeling that it enhances the visual impact of the lettering...if it doesn't turn heads, in my book, then the livery isn't doing it's job!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Just like to say that I love the complimentary colour lettering Dave did on our boat-bostin ! We've had loads of compliments over the summer(10 wks away so far...) Dave knows his stuff & just seems to know what will look good.

Trina

The veterans' pretty good. We get the odd person (in both senses) studying Daves brushmarks. smile.png

IMAG2062_zps1be1f9db.jpg

I'm starting to think that Sign-writing is getting fashionable.

Edited by mark99