Any idea what this is?

KJT

Featured Posts

They are mooring bollards. Some folk are having problems tying across towpath to trees when stopping for lunch.

Be warned though they are only for c/cruisers with a pump out, trad stern and vintage engine. Users must display an idiot moorer licence. Use is a maximum of one hour and no return within the boats lifetime. Overstaying will result in refusal of a navigation licence . All in the new t&c from crt.

Edited by valrene9600

They are canalside toasters. As a feature to assist boaters, CRT are providing towpath-side (mostly) toasters. The project is in an early phase (the first 20 years) and the pilot models have zero slots. If this phase is a success, the next batch will have 2 slots, and the phase after that 4 slots. In the next few years an appraisal will be made to assess the merits of this first phase and several people (maybe even boaters) will be asked what they think of it. The results of this survey will be used to confirm the decision we have already taken about the next phase.

Posts for dogs to wee against? Bottom looks rusty.

That particular post looks quite old and rusty, but others I have seen have been freshly painted, either in black or dark green paint.

So clearly someone is maintaining them.

Ken

That particular post looks quite old and rusty, but others I have seen have been freshly painted, either in black or dark green paint.

Ken

I'm wondering if CRT's maintenance man is confusing them for locks...

:D

They are canalside toasters. As a feature to assist boaters, CRT are providing towpath-side (mostly) toasters. The project is in an early phase (the first 20 years) and the pilot models have zero slots. If this phase is a success, the next batch will have 2 slots, and the phase after that 4 slots. In the next few years an appraisal will be made to assess the merits of this first phase and several people (maybe even boaters) will be asked what they think of it. The results of this survey will be used to confirm the decision we have already taken about the next phase.

So this means there is a fairly high power electric supply. Can we somehow tap into this when mooring beside these toasters to charge the batteries? I'm pretty sure that the average Joe boater would find a 2kw electric hookup considerably more attractive than an outdoor bread burner.

Perhaps there is method in this madness.

To count ped movement wouldn't there need to be a corresponding post on the other side?

Could be passive infra red like security lights but the little window looks very little.

N

Well, we'll obviously have to stake them out and follow them to their lair...

Mr Saunders - not everybody here knows everything, if they did I'm sure someone would have said, so instead we go down the avenue of a bit of mirth - makes a change from "How far do I have to move if I'm a CCer?" threads.

It's good to be silly sometimes, a little break from the serious stuff.

• Greenie 1

They aren't on the offside.

Oops, I somehow didn't take in what the OP wrote about the location. I'm baffled.

If the only hole on the outside is a keyhole to unlock the lid part, any sort of infra-red sensor to count anything seems unlikely, and I think the nearest we have so far to a plausible answer is Mike J.E.W saying it's this electrical thingy. But as he says, what equipment would it be connected to?

Oops, I somehow didn't take in what the OP wrote about the location. I'm baffled.

If the only hole on the outside is a keyhole to unlock the lid part, any sort of infra-red sensor to count anything seems unlikely, and I think the nearest we have so far to a plausible answer is Mike J.E.W saying it's this electrical thingy. But as he says, what equipment would it be connected to?

There are a fair number of data 'cables' along canals as they go from city centre to city centre. This may be some tap off point for testing/fault finding - just a guess.

There are a fair number of data 'cables' along canals as they go from city centre to city centre. This may be some tap off point for testing/fault finding - just a guess.

Probably the best bet

They look remarkably similar to some which were placed alongside the cycle route/ex-railway about 20 miles north of me when they laid new fibre-optic cables.

They are part of the new automated scanning system being implemented to ensure we all move around. New licenses will have gizmos embedded in them which will pass on details, as you cruise past.

Speeding tickets will be automatically issued as an added bonus

:) :) :)

For the avoidance of doubt this is a joke!

Unless you are in a purple fatboat!

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0042_zpsfgv44ghs.jpgDSC_0043_zpsfe71ynrb.jpg

At Nantwich today near the sanitary station I had a peek at the post there. There is a sloping lid fastened with a little padlock. On the sloping top is a round plastic cover about the size of one of those darning mushrooms your mum used to mend socks.

Under this is a thin wire fastened to it...leading downwards... low voltage I imagine. It was difficult to discern anything else inside.

The post was on the towpath side between the hedge and the path. I couldn't see anything inside the tiny keyhole aperture nor any sensor on the far bank.

At Nantwich today near the sanitary station I had a peek at the post there. There is a sloping lid fastened with a little padlock. On the sloping top is a round plastic cover about the size of one of those darning mushrooms your mum used to mend socks.

Under this is a thin wire fastened to it...leading downwards... low voltage I imagine. It was difficult to discern anything else inside.

The post was on the towpath side between the hedge and the path. I couldn't see anything inside the tiny keyhole aperture nor any sensor on the far bank.

Many apologies for this multiple post on a very slow connection on the Middlewich branch. Please can a mod adjust it for me?