SLOW DOWN!

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

Alright, but make sure you slow down enough while you're passing all the other Topics.

:clapping: very good :D

My first successful move - with a sigh of relief when it arrived at it's destination intact!

(Not that there have been any previous unsuccessful moves!)

Edited by Ange

Saw a boat with one of those tick over stickers back and front last time out. I wouldn't like to estimate what speed he was passing moored boats but it was no where near my tick over.

^^^^^^ Exactly this!

We have had several boats speed past our moorings in recent weeks, engines buzzing, and apparently barely slowed down, that have proudly been displaying a prominent set of those magnetic roundels.

Now in practice we are quite used to it, and, other than a bit of rocking, the speeders seldom cause much bother.

But I'm amazed by the hypocrisy of those who can't even be bothered to peel them off before doing the exact opposite to what they are displaying.

Actually the word I'm looking for might be stupidity rather than hypocrisy!

I try to be reasonable and slow down past moored boats but I admit that there are odd occasions when I do probably pass too fast. The strange thing is, I have never been shouted at while in my current boat. I put it down to the fact that no one (even myself) can hear my engine when it's below about 1200 revs. The prop and the drive, a 12 foot, 3 part monstrosity, can be heard but not the engine.

I have concluded that many people do not judge the speed of a boat well, rather they listen for changes in engine speed and start yelling if they do not hear a reduction.

Frank.

Met a huge widebeam yesterday who had broken loose and wedged across the cut and blocked the whole canal near the stink'ole. The only way to move it was to shunt it round 90 degrees with it rear still tied to the bank.

Enjoyed that one. It had been staked with vast mooring stakes so someone must have gone past at a hell of a chat to dislodge it. Unless it was a build up over time.

Having just chugged through Cropredy a couple of days after the end of the festival, we must have passed 100 boats with no problem. But near the end as we were gliding last with barely any water disturbance let alone effect on moored boats, a girl started waving at me - ie the "slow down" gesture and then said "Slow down!". Since she was only about 14 and I was in a good mood I said "we are already at tickover, the boat won't go any slower and in any case if your boat was tied up properly it wouldn't be a problem" ie the polite version! I guess she was just mimicking behaviour she had learnt from others, but a bit sad really.

Yes some can't think of anything else to fill their time but moaning. Let it wash over you, they clearly have a miserable life if they feel the need to be angry all the time. Actually Jeff has a good line in these circumstances which is "you need to m.. more" (it's a family forum so you'll have to guess) which is perhaps one up on "tie your boat up properly"

Slow down!!

Particular if using 'nappy pins' I can secure the boat so it would have to be passed by another boat at full chat to really annoy me (usually use two at the bow and one at the stern)....however what does get my 'goat' up is when I am trying to tie up the boat, so am clearly holding the centre line and people go past me at full speed whilst I am trying to hold on too a 20t boat....... angry.png

• Greenie 2

Particular if using 'nappy pins' I can secure the boat so it would have to be passed by another boat at full chat to really annoy me (usually use two at the bow and one at the stern)....however what does get my 'goat' up is when I am trying to tie up the boat, so am clearly holding the centre line and people go past me at full speed whilst I am trying to hold on too a 20t boat....... :angry2:

This ^^^^

We were trying to leave that offside water point at Buglawton on the Macc the other day with the stern very close to the bridge abutment when a boat went through at such a speed that the two of us were frantically trying to save the stern gear from a nasty crunch.

Particular if using 'nappy pins' I can secure the boat so it would have to be passed by another boat at full chat to really annoy me (usually use two at the bow and one at the stern)....

How do you do that with nappy pins? I find they come free from the piling so annoyingly often that I have to use goat chains exclusively on piling.

How do you do that with nappy pins? I find they come free from the piling so annoyingly often that I have to use goat chains exclusively on piling.

Must be lucky, took me a while to get learn how to use them and then try and use them all the time now. just don't start talking about goats......

Must get lucky with the pilings! Also Honestreet doesn't seem to have any chains (and def no goats ninja.gif ) so its either Pilling Pins or Mooring Pins. Last cruise when out for two weeks we only used mooring pins on two occasions.

EDT as no idea where my previous post disappeared! Maybe a goat ate it?

Possibly because your stern sits low in the water, not giving the right angle for the nappy pin to hold.

When I took Stroller out for an instructional drive couple of weeks ago under supervision of Dad, being that I have only really handled narrowboats before I found the turn of speed on a river cruiser quite suprising! Luckily I had Mr Pitt saying quite dryly "Its not British Grand Prix son..." to remind me to keep the revs down!

Met a huge widebeam yesterday who had broken loose and wedged across the cut and blocked the whole canal near the stink'ole. The only way to move it was to shunt it round 90 degrees with it rear still tied to the bank.

Enjoyed that one. It had been staked with vast mooring stakes so someone must have gone past at a hell of a chat to dislodge it. Unless it was a build up over time.

Was he sounding his horn?

Some people just have to moan, they will do it whatever speed you go past at, just ignore them, your day is going on be better than theirs.

Pass our mooring at your own chosen speed, if you go slow that gives more time for the exchange of pleasantries.

Top Cat

• Greenie 1

Don't try to retaliate, a reaction is what they want, some folk need confrontation and conflict in their lives, it's a problem for them so understanding that makes it easier to turn your back, wrap the incident in a mental bag, chuck it overboard and carry on.

Please don't do that. I am fed up with mental bags around the prop.

N

I try to be reasonable and slow down past moored boats but I admit that there are odd occasions when I do probably pass too fast. The strange thing is, I have never been shouted at while in my current boat. I put it down to the fact that no one (even myself) can hear my engine when it's below about 1200 revs. The prop and the drive, a 12 foot, 3 part monstrosity, can be heard but not the engine.

I have concluded that many people do not judge the speed of a boat well, rather they listen for changes in engine speed and start yelling if they do not hear a reduction.

Frank.

That's the problem with hydraulic drives which are arranged to have constant engine speed. Apparently most people don't feel the draw they just listen to the engine.

N

Please don't do that. I am fed up with mental bags around the prop.

N

That's the problem with hydraulic drives which are arranged to have constant engine speed. Apparently most people don't feel the draw they just listen to the engine.

N

That's odd. I feel the draw generally 10 or 20 seconds or so before I hear the engine of a passing boat.

Frank.

I'm not surprised you go slowly with a 12 foot prop in a 3ft ditch!

That's odd. I feel the draw generally 10 or 20 seconds or so before I hear the engine of a passing boat.

That, my boy, is exactly the point!

N

I,ve only ever been shouted at once for speeding, and that was by that big fat bloke on cats whiskers, who was on the narrowboat programme, being launched at stourport, he had rather a lot to say, in front of a group of embaressed onlookers, I apologised three times,even though I don't think I was speeding,but he carried on, until I took my coat off and invited him to sort it out like a man, at which point he asked the onlookers to witness my crimes,when they all went inside there boats and slammed the doors, he ran to the marina office and made an official complaint, funny thing was it was,nt my boat or a marina I had anything to do with, I was just having a test drive with a view to buying for a friend, he even claimed his wife had been knocked off her feet even though I was in a twenty foot cabin cruiser and had barely moved ten yards when I past him on his Dutch barge,

Sometimes when my mind is drifting I do forget to slow to ticker and am so grateful to those who advise me...I apologise profusely since I know the error mine.

Occasionally I am at tickover ad receive advice to slow down..in these instances I do not apologise but ignore.