Opinions and advice please!

elinora

Featured Posts

Going to this beaut on Sunday:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48ft-Cruiser-Stern-Narrowboat-Barge-Springer-Rosie-Red-Blue-/151771737739?hash=item23564cee8b

Have been looking for a few months and am very taken with her. Is there anything glaringly obvious that I should have noticed?

Also, the aim is to get this baby up to Manchester (if I decide I like her enough after the viewing). Are the waterways from London to Manchester wide enough for Barges the whole way? If so would hiring a boat mover be a better idea than paying for haulage/cranage/transport etc?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.

I don't really have much to say about the above mentioned boat. Have a good probing look at the boat on Sunday. I gather you will have a least a hull survey, and have your questions to hand.

Don't be afraid to ask if this works, or does that work. Have a look into lockers including the gas locker and down the engine hole.

Has the engine been serviced? BSC dates.

Sprinters can be really good purchases, they can also be a bit of a dodgy purchase.

Go in with your eyes open, with heart and head separated by reason.

Edited by Nightwatch

Welcome to the forum!

Assuming the boat is mechanically sound then it will fit on all the waterways between London and Manchester. I add the mechanically sound bit because my own boat Lutine is up north as the gearbox failed, and since it's been fixed I haven't had chance to move it!

However that's a lot for a Springer, I think you are paying London premium there. There is a reason why boats often go the other way and head south straight after purchase.

Welcome, Elinora.

Right then. For starters, this is a narrowboat, so she will indeed fit through all the bridges and locks along your way.

Springer was the first volume builder of affordable narrowboats. They could be rough at the edges but were generally solid and had character. They are fairly old now so do have an out-of-water survey by a qualified surveyor before you buy. That will cost £hundreds but could save you £thousands.

And finally...in my view, she is GROSSLY overpriced. For a budget-end boat of that vintage, about half that asking price would be more realistic. There are more experienced people on here than me with regard to boat pricing, but I would not pay more than £20,000 maximum for this boat.

Lovely party deck out the back, good size fore deck up front.

Workman like fit out, rough paint.

Key things are how sound is the hull? - it may be getting a bit thin if its been unloved.

Whats the engine and box like?

And of course, the price is bonkers!!

Well £30k for a nearly 40 year old springer is a bit OTT. The ad says "fully refitted in 2013" it's gone down hill a bit in 2 years, I'd describe it as a bit shabby looking. Is a pump out toilet the best setup for you, it means regular visits to the pump out station?

Huge cruiser stern with no cover looks like 10 feet of wasted space. There is a previous listing for this boat from July, I wonder what the story is there?

As said look at it with your head not your heart.

K

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151703731788

Well £30k for a nearly 40 year old springer is a bit OTT. The ad says "fully refitted in 2013" it's gone down hill a bit in 2 years, I'd describe it as a bit shabby looking. Is a pump out toilet the best setup for you, it means regular visits to the pump out station?

Huge cruiser stern with no cover looks like 10 feet of wasted space. There is a previous listing for this boat from July, I wonder what the story is there?

As said look at it with your head not your heart.

K

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151703731788

10' of wasted space?

Nah, I'd much prefer a big stern area rather than the Harold Shipman perch most favour these days.

There is a previous listing for this boat from July, I wonder what the story is there?

"The story" is presumably that she did not sell, and thus the owner re-advertised her.

Previous ad ends with asking price of £30,950, so Amanda has come down a bit, but still a long way to go to get to its true value!

I'd agree with all the above and a couple much better options IMHO if cruiser stern and minimum 48ft is the requirement http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=439800

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=439478 loads more on Apolloduck if you have not looked there please do.

Ebay may not be the best place to start for my tuppence worth.

Edited by Mendip-Locks
  • Greenie 1

I'd agree with all the above and a couple much better options IMHO if cruiser stern and minimum 48ft is the requirement http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=439800

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=439478 loads more on Apolloduck if you have not looked there please do.

Ebay may not be the best place to start for my tuppence worth.

Have a greenie.

Ebay and boats always seems a bad idea to me!

Edited by gazza

Glaringly obvious is its pretty much unloved, rough round the edges, and unprepared for sale, and its way too expensive.

If you live in the Manchester area, and have £30k to spend, you don't need to go to London to find a good boat for the money.

There is a previous listing for this boat from July, I wonder what the story is there?

"The story" is presumably that she did not sell, and thus the owner re-advertised her.

Possibly so, but it was a different seller in the first ad, that's what makes me wonder. pn68411 selling last time now it's Amanda doing the selling or her phone number. It's always interesting to google a phone number and see how many other boats Amanda has had for sale and it's more than one not to mention her yacht.

So is Rosie Red Blue the same as Little Elf or Rosie, hard to say as none of the are listed on Jim Shead.

K

I really agree with others.

The boat is really overpriced, and could do a lot better with that sort of money.

Saying that for £15,000 it be a nice first time live aboard.

What ever you do listen to the head, don't go with your heart

Col

Welcome, Elinora.

Right then. For starters, this is a narrowboat, so she will indeed fit through all the bridges and locks along your way.

Springer was the first volume builder of affordable narrowboats. They could be rough at the edges but were generally solid and had character. They are fairly old now so do have an out-of-water survey by a qualified surveyor before you buy. That will cost £hundreds but could save you £thousands.

And finally...in my view, she is GROSSLY overpriced. For a budget-end boat of that vintage, about half that asking price would be more realistic. There are more experienced people on here than me with regard to boat pricing, but I would not pay more than £20,000 maximum for this boat.

Agree completely and you will definitely need a survey for insurance on a boat of that age

Possibly so, but it was a different seller in the first ad, that's what makes me wonder. pn68411 selling last time now it's Amanda doing the selling or her phone number.

That's a good point, which I had missed. But I think she mentions that she and her boyfriend share the boat, so it's quite possible that he advertised it last time and it's her turn this time.

So many responses - awesome!

Tbh - I'm in London for the next 2 weeks and not working so have the time to have a look around. I really liked the look of it and thought it would be worth taking the time to look at her and maybe some others whilst I'm down. I was hoping as it said ono. I might be able to haggle it down a bit, but would definitely not pay the amount they're asking. I have been looking at Apollo duck as well, some lovely ones on there. I'm also on a few Facebook pages for boat sellers and realised some people were only selling on eBay so thought I'd take a gander.

Hi,

There are better boats 'for sale' for less - one, 3 boats up from me (on the Southern GU) - Kings Ransom (1987), (Boatshop UK) is well kept and very clean currently for sale at £26500. Again full survey recommended.