What makes a Hudson?

Featured Posts

Hi chaps

I see many references to distinct features (such as bow and stern) of boats built by the late Mr Hudson. I'm not very good at spotting / identifying different boats yet, but what exactly makes them so distinctive?

Thanks

This is a wind up, right?

Hi chaps

I see many references to distinct features (such as bow and stern) of boats built by the late Mr Hudson. I'm not very good at spotting / identifying different boats yet, but what exactly makes them so distinctive?

Thanks

Sorry couldn't resist, it's the butler in frock coat walking ahead with a red flag shooing inferior type boats out of the way captain.gif

SM Hudsons are well built, well turned out - built to a set hull/rear design with variant on "dressing" specifications.

The hull and rear are very distinctive - some say that the hull shape is almost a charactature of what an elegant ex FMC scaled down "Josher" style hull should be - the double curved/compound curved hull ending up looking slightly pointy - people mainly in here joking that the bow looks like a mole or winkle picker shoe from certain angles.

The rear does lift up and pinch in maybe a wee bit too much for some.

Hull/shell design is a very personal thing - to some it's nothing to some, everything.

Hudsons are a true English classic imo and are a feast for the eyes - eye candy for most. After a while you may start to notice the slightly exaggerated lines of the front and rear - but as said it's a personal thing.

There is a light hearted banter in here re Hudson owners being more disconcerning than most - keeping very shiney boats and having an attendant butler.

NB I have attended Hudson open days and crawled round a few, hired one even - they are quality - but I decided not for me personally.

Edited by mark99

Hi chaps

Thanks

Easy. Pop rivets.

A Hudson, well, you can't stick a flower in a backside and then expect it to be a vase.

Yes, but which of the two is a Hudson?

Certainly the fake rivets - and excess thereof - would put me off, but a hull is much more than those obvious details and a lot are subtle -

good tumblehome

lack of welding showing through the panels,

side decks that are not rolled

Fuel and water connections in a sensible place

sensible roof curvature

internal strengthening

Some of these are difficult to achieve and add to the cost. A good / best builder won't compromise on 'doing it right'

Not the one I've just finished....that says " Registered at Tamworth XXXXXX" in the black panel. I entered it over the main panel, rather than towards the stern. Sorry.

Dave

Yes AFAIK they all say registered at Tamworth (not Glascote).

Another feature are the hooded vents front and rear, not unique but fairly rare - many other boats just have unsightly grills in the doors or bulkheads.

This is a wind up, right?

Not in the slightest, I had nothing to drink last night smile.png

It's not going to end well, either way...

I don't know, I'm not asking for why they are good or bad, just what makes them recognisable

open your eyes and you will see

I am trying, but without comparisons and examples it's quite hard to see.

Sorry couldn't resist, it's the butler in frock coat walking ahead with a red flag shooing inferior type boats out of the way captain.gif

Sounds like the Morgan Owners Club..

SM Hudsons are well built, well turned out - built to a set hull/rear design with variant on "dressing" specifications.

The hull and rear are very distinctive - some say that the hull shape is almost a charactature of what an elegant ex FMC scaled down "Josher" style hull should be - the double curved/compound curved hull ending up looking slightly pointy - people mainly in here joking that the bow looks like a mole or winkle picker shoe from certain angles.

The rear does lift up and pinch in maybe a wee bit too much for some.

Hull/shell design is a very personal thing - to some it's nothing to some, everything.

Hudsons are a true English classic imo and are a feast for the eyes - eye candy for most. After a while you may start to notice the slightly exaggerated lines of the front and rear - but as said it's a personal thing.

There is a light hearted banter in here re Hudson owners being more disconcerning than most - keeping very shiney boats and having an attendant butler.

NB I have attended Hudson open days and crawled round a few, hired one even - they are quality - but I decided not for me personally.

Thank you Mark

Thanks - the pictures help.

Nick Norman not only has a Hudson, he does actually have a Butler too. Called Alan Fincher or something. smile.png

There are/were numerous other Hudson owners in here too.

Edited by mark99

Yes AFAIK they all say registered at Tamworth (not Glascote).

Ah, yes, I stand corrected.

To the OP, maybe you are not aware that sadly Steve Hudson died suddenly a few months ago. Still in his 50's. I always admired the build quality of his boats if not particularly the style. So the Hudson marque is no longer in production. But they will be around for a long time, thats for sure.

Ken

ETA. Since posting I realised the OP is aware Steve is no longer with us.

Edited by NB Ellisiana
  • Greenie 1

The fore end is quite distinctive, and has much more of an upwards swoop, over a shorter length, than most Joshers. The stern end is much better. Sometimes there are other little features like rings on the bulkhead being put on the wrong way around compared to how they were used on the boats the feature is copied from, e.g.

www.bargeshare.co.uk/arthur/IMG_0563.JPG

That said, they are always built solidly, and look solid too, and everyone I've talked to says they swim well. They are markedly different from most mass market boats and capture something of the flavour of a Josher, even if they're not a replica; if you want one of them, you go to Roger Fuller or Norton Canes.

If you try and see them as replicas, then they look wrong; but they're not, they're Hudson boats.