Great news at Glascote Basin, the new branch of Norton Canes Boatbuilders takes over

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Some really good news for the weekend.

Norton Canes Boarbuilders have taken over the former Glascote dock which was formerly the home to the renowned S M Hudson boatbuilding operation.

This ensures quality work will continue to develop at the site and its historic importance will continue. Formerly the home of S E Barlow the famous carriers then known by the name "Anchor dock" the site will once again be busy with all the activities associated with narrow boats.

So its Congratulations to the team from NCBB for securing a piece of our heritage and its continued use.

A while back it looked like this, I think Mr Barlow on the counter would be proud of the latest developments.

gallery_5000_522_219182.jpg

That's great news, I was worried it would become a hire base. Are NCBB keeping their facility at NC as well?

Yes the original docks remains as always, the Glascote dock is a expansion of the business.

Norton Canes Boarbuilders have taken over the former Glascote dock which was formerly the home to the renowned S M Hudson boatbuilding operation.

This ensures quality work will continue to develop at the site and its historic importance will continue. Formerly the home of S E Barlow the famous carriers then known by the name "Anchor dock" the site will once again be busy with all the activities associated with narrow boats.

So its Congratulations to the team from NCBB for securing a piece of our heritage and its continued use.

A while back it looked like this, I think Mr Barlow on the counter would be proud of the latest developments.

Good news. Interesting picture as well although having trouble relating it to the basin as I know it. Tow path appears to be bottom left with hard standing on opposite bank, Where is the top lock and basin for example?

Good news. Interesting picture as well although having trouble relating it to the basin as I know it. Tow path appears to be bottom left with hard standing on opposite bank, Where is the top lock and basin for example?

The basin is behind the cameraman. The dock (Anchor dock) occupied the off side opposite todays basin. The basin was principally a loading facility served by railways. Today the area is totally modernised and much of what is in the photograph is just history.

Laurence, time to update your photo library don't think many people on the site were alive when that was taken

What an odd statement, how on earth could you update that picture?

Today there is nothing to see and as that picture was approx mid 1950's I guess there is still plenty of people including myself who remember Glascote like that. I indeed remember the railways that served the basins both there and further down at Baddersley.

• Greenie 2

The basin is behind the cameraman. The dock (Anchor dock) occupied the off side opposite todays basin. The basin was principally a loading facility served by railways. Today the area is totally modernised and much of what is in the photograph is just history.

Thanks Lawrence - that was my first thought given slope of ground, but found it hard to believe how much its changed.

I'd like to join the well-wishers for this new venture, there's no lack of work to get it all up and running. As some will know, I've been the in house signwriter and boat decorator at Norton Canes for many years now and I'm happy to offer these services at the new facility at Glascote, one of the few yards in the midlands I've yet to work at. Graham and I are meeting soon to discuss some new signs that will be needed. Others will detail the range of other services that will soon be on offer. Watch this space!

Cheers

Dave

• Greenie 1

I'd like to join the well-wishers for this new venture, there's no lack of work to get it all up and running. As some will know, I've been the in house signwriter and boat decorator at Norton Canes for many years now and I'm happy to offer these services at the new facility at Glascote, one of the few yards in the midlands I've yet to work at. Graham and I are meeting soon to discuss some new signs that will be needed. Others will detail the range of other services that will soon be on offer. Watch this space!

Cheers

Dave

Is there room for veterans then?

<sorry Dave> :)

Nice one Mark! Should anyone be wondering, I was recently pictured in Waterways World lettering Halsall for Junior and was referred to as a " veteran signwriter" in the caption. Next stop " vintage "......

Cheers!

Thanks for posting the picture Laurence- Mr Barlow's sister, Elsie, was my 70yr old brother in Law's mum. She had a butty names after her. Brother in law was going to have a motor named after him...... but he did something naughty so the name was changed to something else.

It was such a shame ALL of the many items (100's) of memorabilia went missing in the sixties (hmm). My Brother in law only has the little cup presented to Mr Barlow in 1961 (I think) when the Business ceased. Cant wait to show the old fella this picture.

Just wondering, are they re-employing the Hudson workforce? And if so will they be building boats there to their own NC design or to the Steve Hudson design?

Excellent news whichever. Heard it on the grapevine at Braunston!