Hassle In Middlewich

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

"Trade boat causes chaos in Middlewich"

Just on the Shropie after Wardle lock a fuel boat called Hasssle(or was it Halsell, or something like that) tied up on the offside on a very long, loose piece of string, boats moored on the towpath side (for the festival) and the fuel boat drifting across the cut, every boat that wanted to get past needed to knock it to the side as the gap was under 7 feet.

No one on board, - shouted but no answer, - even shouted "Ayup Junior", still no answer.

You would think these traders would know how to tie up properly !!!

Is this a wind up or not?

Only in a 'jocular' light hearted way.

I came up and had to push you aside, a boat coming the other way then had to push you aside as you had been drawn into the centre of the available width in my 'slip-stream'.

I did shout but no answer.

It was not a major problem.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

don't mess with another's property

I take it that was not a serious remark?

I've retied a few boats over the years, never seen it as an issue.

I certainly would have retied it (if poss) before 'moving it out the way' with my own boat to get past.

Only in a 'jocular' light hearted way.

I came up and had to push you aside, a boat coming the other way then had to push you aside as you had been drawn into the centre of the available width in my 'slip-stream'.

I did shout but no answer.

It was not a major problem.

The boat was tied up on a friends EOG mooring for under 2 hours whilst Brian and I nipped to the bank. When we left it there was plenty of space for even a novice steerer to get past.

It is not clear from your post, but If you're saying the boat became untied then i sincerely apologise and must thank whoever re-tied it. If that is not the case then I'd say there was an element of poetic licence being applied as when we returned the boat seemed exactly how we left it.

I appreciate your post may have been "jocular", but i fail to see how a thread like this can do anything but harm to somebody grafting to start a new business.

Anyhow, which way are you headed? It's always nice to put a face/boat to a forum name and maybe start a micro - banter!

Edited by junior

I have tied up many a drifting boat over the years and also adjusted moorings as required, I'm even known to have supplied additional bits of rope to retie the other boat! .

It's a done thing for bumpy water boaters to adjust lines for others, but it can be added, that they probably know how to tie a boat up properly anyway!

If my boat was adrift or causing a problem, I would hope someone would retie it for me, as i would for them!

Nipper

There was real trouble here (Mddlewich) last week. A hire boat had come untied just below the big lock and was blocking the cut. It was about 10am and the curtains were closed. A passing boater knocked but got no reply so walked the gunnels to get the centre line and pulled the boat in. The hirers then emerged (hungover???) and gave this poor boater loads of abuse and threats!!!!

...........Dave

Cor, I bloody hope my boat never gets loose on a river or starts to sink when I'm not there, while randoms just stand on the bank watching it happen cos they're too scared to get on my boat without permission...

Honestly if I'd passed someone's coming-adrift boat in the channel and not bothered to help, I'd be much too ashamed to own up to it on a forum in some kind of subjectively-funny takedown of the other person's mooring skills!

Y%20u%20no_zpslzz2n1dv.jpg

Edited by Starcoaster