We are inconsiderate boaters! Apparently...

johnmck

Featured Posts

Today, in the rain, halestone and wind,

She was not apparently a happy bunny.

Although she was not in the right, perhaps a little understanding at frustrations that can arise on a bad day would be preferable to moaning about someone on a public forum.

Although she was not in the right, perhaps a little understanding at frustrations that can arise on a bad day would be preferable to moaning about someone on a public forum.

I think if you are someone who moans at other boaters not leaving locks for you, then you aren't allowed to moan about someone who does the same to you.

however......

I think if you are someone who moans at other boaters not leaving locks for you, then you aren't allowed to moan about someone who does the same to you.

however......

Well, OK, this forum is often used a vehicle for moaning and let's face it people like a moan. But if someone came up to me and started moaning on a wet, miserable, cold day i might have a bit of decency and let it go rather than carrying it around until I got the chance to dump it in public.

Or even, shock horror, start a conversation and explain to the offender exactly why you acted as you did - and point out as somebody has that 1. every other lock behind you will be in her favour because you, her and the other boater kind enough to set the previous locks for her are the only ones stupid enough to be out on a day like this or 2. there's no more locks for x miles so she can go in and get warm and soon as she has done this lock which you are about to leave in her favour with the gate open.

Just saying like.....

Edited by Dave Clinton

Naaah !!! would lose half the most amusing posts that way ;-) (manual emoticon 'cos only Mr Angry available in replies window)

Naaah !!! would lose half the most amusing posts that way ;-) (manual emoticon 'cos only Mr Angry available in replies window)

Yeah, what's happened to the emoticons? I'm seeing lots of little black & white crosses and most of NaughtyCal's posts seem to end with 'Fusty.gif'

Edited to change 'moist' to 'most' as I didn't want to evoke unwanted images.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Today, in the rain, halestone and wind, we left Wheelock heading for Middlewich.

For the miles before we reached the first lock, we saw ner a boat moving. The weather was truly awful.

Upon arrival at the first lock, Crows nest, we found it against us, but with nobody in sight, Ali filled it and we began the descent.

At this point a boat hove into view and an agitated lady disembarked. She was not apparently a happy bunny. When she approached Ali, she told her that we had "wasted" a lock which was in her favour!

Ali tried to explain that their boat was not in view, that we were already descending upon their approach, but all to no avail.

Transpires a single hander was ahead of us, and all the locks had thus far been in their favour and thus, So should this one have been!!!

So to the lady. Please accept our sincere apologies. Perhaps Black Prince will compensate you for your distress...

Had something similar in Banbury last year, we were going down and lock was six inches off being full, no other boat in sight so the Mrs topped up the lock and opened the gate, at this point Mr angry appeared at started a right old rant at my missus oblivious to me and the boat approaching. He got it back with both barrels and scuttled off with his tail between his legs.

I'm normally pretty placid and would have just spoken to the guy but my wife was recovering from a long term illness and the boat was supposed to be chill out time for her, the last thing she needed was a jumped up little t*ss*r shouting the odds at her.

Well I'm sure it has happened to all of us at some point ie:

Had a lock turned

Been accused of having turned a lock when one hadn't, or couldn't reasonably have known another boat was in the vicinity wanting to traverse the lock.

And also failed to take sufficient steps to see if another boat was coming eg walking the few paces down to the bottom level to see beyond the bridge at the lock, and then been embarrassed about it when a boat appeared shortly after opening the top paddles.

But also:

Had help from another boat going same way who raised a paddle for you when they left the lock, and done likewise for someone else.

Gone back to open the gate just closed when another boat hoves into view, and had the same done for you.

Had someone arriving at the lock before you, but seeing the lock was 1/2 full but slightly in your favour, open the paddles and gates for you, and have done same for someone else.

We tend to remember the bad things and I have nothing against a cathartic moan but also let's remember that most people are kind, considerate and friendly.

Well until you get the wrong side of MK that is.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

On the other hand, we arrived at a lock set in favour of a smart Hudson coming the other way. The gates were even open for them, but instead of motoring straight in, they moored up on the landing stage.

I walked down somewhat irritated and asked if they were coming through the lock, they said 'yes, we are'. A bit taken aback I was all like, why are you waiting here then, and not going into the open lock?

They explained they'd seen we arrived at the lock first and therefore it was our turn not theirs, to use the lock and it was only polite to wait for us to pass through first...

A brief chat revealed they were first-time hirers so I ran through the normal lock protocol with then and they were grateful to find out. And on my part, I had no idea until then there were Hudsons out there as hire boats!

I have had that where by the time we have got up there they have turned the lock for us.

Well I'm sure it has happened to all of us at some point ie:

Had a lock turned

Been accused of having turned a lock when one hadn't, or couldn't reasonably have known another boat was in the vicinity wanting to traverse the lock.

And also failed to take sufficient steps to see if another boat was coming eg walking the few paces down to the bottom level to see beyond the bridge at the lock, and then been embarrassed about it when a boat appeared shortly after opening the top paddles.

But also:

Had help from another boat going same way who raised a paddle for you when they left the lock, and done likewise for someone else.

Gone back to open the gate just closed when another boat hoves into view, and had the same done for you.

Had someone arriving at the lock before you, but seeing the lock was 1/2 full but slightly in your favour, open the paddles and gates for you, and have done same for someone else.

We tend to remember the bad things and I have nothing against a cathartic moan but also let's remember that most people are kind, considerate and friendly.

Well until you get the wrong side of MK that is.

you deserve a greenie for that...

It is an interesting topic of conversation though, I can liken it to entering or leaving a Sea lock, Many a time they have been against me and I've had to Hold, Hove to or wait on the Waiting pontoon. But have to say it's worse MUCH WORSE in my opinion, When you time you're arrival at a lock for 'Free Flow' and the lock keepers are having there lunch, or Loo break or whatever !, I'm chuckling as I prod & Stab at my phone keypad at some of the antics of what I have whitenessd as a gongoosaler, and break out in a sweat when I think of the antics of when I have been one of the boats (11ft beam) Entering said lock, and meeting another boat (13 ft beam) leaving the lock on such occasions.

Yeah, what's happened to the emoticons? I'm seeing lots of little black & white crosses and most of NaughtyCal's posts seem to end with 'Fusty.gif'

Edited to change 'moist' to 'most' as I didn't want to evoke unwanted images.

I blame it on Paul C I hear he is the new techie blokey now. My emoticons work. comp26.gif

Fusty = busty and feisty. (Old English)

Feisty = old English for fart, onomatopoeic, was then used to describe a yapping farting little lap dog, then to describe anyone small, noisy and uppity.

we had a weird experience at a lock. With the lock set in the approaching boats favour we waited until it reached the lock prepared to lock it through if the skipper wished us to. On reaching the lock however a woman stepped off, rope in hand and began to moor the boat up. The skipper disappeared inside. Better to check so we asked if they wanted to go through, receiving a shake of the head. We then set the lock for ourselves. With the lock now ready the skipper of the other boat appeared and began to shout and swear at us for having 'stolen' his lock. But, we said, we asked and the lady with you shook her head to say no when asked if you were locking. The skipper's reply was that there was no woman on board that boat - this despite the fact one was standing beside him?! Takes all sorts I suppose!

we had a weird experience at a lock. With the lock set in the approaching boats favour we waited until it reached the lock prepared to lock it through if the skipper wished us to. On reaching the lock however a woman stepped off, rope in hand and began to moor the boat up. The skipper disappeared inside. Better to check so we asked if they wanted to go through, receiving a shake of the head. We then set the lock for ourselves. With the lock now ready the skipper of the other boat appeared and began to shout and swear at us for having 'stolen' his lock. But, we said, we asked and the lady with you shook her head to say no when asked if you were locking. The skipper's reply was that there was no woman on board that boat - this despite the fact one was standing beside him?! Takes all sorts I suppose!

Transvestite Grandad?

George ex nb Alton retired

Had such an abusive woman last year accusing us of turning the bottom lock at autherley (which we didn't, as there was no boat in sight) we thought at one stage we were in physical danger at so stopped the conversation before the situation got out of control. Sad really . Bunny

I have just used some choice Anglo saxons turns of phrase to a headphone wearing antipodean bloke who was leaving every top gate and paddle open in front of me going up curdworth, along with ramming the gates open to enter them.

He said he didn't like to be spoken to like that and hadn't asked for my help shutting them!!!!

We had a nutter accuse us of leaving every gate open (we didn't) speeding (we didn't) and being the main thing that's wrong with the waterways (obviously we're not) on a lock flight earlier this year, deliberately jumped on the side of friends boat to make it rock as hard as he could and raged in my face from about 4 inches away whilst menacing me with a trowel in his hand held in a dagger grip just above my neck, gonna sink our boat and various other threats. Didn't do him any good, I tend to react to people the same way they treat me, up to and including violence, spent half my life facing down thugs, after a few minutes where I'd reduced the final 4" gap between our faces to zero I could see the guy was thinking "shit, intimidation failed, what have I done, how do I de-escalate this". I'm laughing about it now just remembering the look on his face, should have got a photo!

Edited by MisterDave

Feisty = old English for fart, onomatopoeic, was then used to describe a yapping farting little lap dog, then to describe anyone small, noisy and uppity.

I thought feisty meant rough-and-tumbly and fun-loving. You have let me down here, haven't you?

I thought feisty meant rough-and-tumbly and fun-loving. You have let me down here, haven't you?

So did I, it does, now, strange how meanings change over a few hundred years.