Rocking

Pennie

Featured Posts

All the new stuff added to the boat has mainly been put evenly either side at floor level. I'm hoping my neighbour will be back this evening and maybe when he's moored abreast we'll stop rocking so much

short boats seem to rock more than longer ones.. presume they are just lighter? You want heavy items as low as possible. You get used to it eventually - then when you have your boat out for blacking and its on the trailer, you'll get inverse "sea legs" and won't be able to walk straight without the boat rocking!

Could you have dropped a tin behind the cooker unbalancing the trim of the boat?

Bluddy 'ell, he drops in for the first time in weeks and I have to award him a greeno.

I wish my boat was rocking. Sat on the bottom leaning over by about 8 degrees. It's weird. The water level has dropped a good 8 inches in the last 48 hours.

I don't like it. I feel drunk. Actually I am drunk. Completely wasted in fact but that's beside the point. I can normally walk about in the boat completely wasted but now I can't.

The Boat is only 40 ft and is moored on a bow rope nose in . Of course its gonna rock.

Probably the truth. I reckon, re-arrange your boat so all the stuff, furniture, fittings and all is down each side of the boat and leave yourself a small corridor up the centre. That way, when you move about, you'll upset the balance less.

Am I reading this right,

Up till now the boat has been moored bow in, with only a bow rope and wedged between to other boats.

No wonder it did not rock.

Now it has free movement (one boat moved off).

No wonder it now rocks.

neighbour is back and the boat is still moving a ton more than it was. I'm in the cabin bilge atm cleaning the water pump and no water in there. I'm getting used to the extreme rocking and will just assume she was more wedged in before and now there has been a jiggle round of the boats around me she has a bit more movement. Just got to remember to be careful not get wacked in the face by the bathroom door when I pass lol

Isn't Bill Hayley dead now?

Who is/was Bill Hayley ? did he have something to do with boats ?

The Bill Haley that bizzard wrote about was well known and quite famous, he died more than 30 years ago, but may still be rocking around the clock in heaven, God only knows.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

The idea of water in the cabin bilge has already been mentioned, but from the waterpump thread it seems that you

either dont have access or have't found it yet - try this :- you need a length of small bore tube preferably reasonably

stiff and reasonably straight (I have a piece of about 4mm od nylon air tubing about 2ft long), where the hull lining

meets the floor you may find somewhere (in my case there are small cut outs under the carpet, where the hull lining

battens pass through the floor) where you can feed the tube down into the bilge area, and with careful probing and

twisting get the end of the pipe down to the bottom plate, then blow - if you can hear bubbles then there's water in there,

it may take a few attempts to get the end down to the bottom plate but if water in the cabin bilge is the reason for the

rocking then there's likely to be more than just a drop.

ok you may have to cut an access hole to actually extract the water and get the bilge reasonably dry but it may

give you a clue.

If it is water sloshing around then you may also be able to get a clue by deliberate rocking - stand in the middle

and lean gently from one side to the other - if the boat continues to move after you've come to the end of your "lean"

then that again suggests water moving in the bilge.

Just noticed you've added solar panels - how many and how heavy - on the roof they will have maximum

effect on the rocking.

springy