What type or style of bow is this?

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

Don't know - the bow itself is fairly anonymous, but none the worse for that.

However that ugly baulk of wood across the front end of the cabin, in connection with some kind of "cratch" arrangement certainly does nothing at all for the appearance of the boat!

A thought....

If you know boat name or index number, then who does the boat list on CanalPlanAC say built it?

The picture in the OP comes from a Boatshed advert...

http://www.boatshed.com/narrowboat_36ft-boat-204206.html

The advert itself says "Stowe Hill Marine" as the builder.

Yes, I think I can believe that.

Long before they went for the highly individual "pinched in a pair of heavy lock gates" look, Stowe Hill did build remarkably conventional looking boats, (something it is a great shame in my view they ever felt the need to change!).

I'm not personally aware of the barleytwist metalwork having been a Stowe Hill identifying feature, but it may well have been

Thanks to all so far. I'm beginning to think its is indeed form following function - you have to end a boat somehow.

It might be a generic short bow, but there are not that many of them with exactly that shape I can see on the duck or on boatshed.

The pic posted is indeed described as a Stowe Hill boat, but that was just a good picture available online of the bow shape I was looking at (Pretty looking boat though - we spotted it whilst out cruising over Easter)

Extra credit to dave moore - I hadn't spotted the barleytwists in the original pic either!

The boat that prompted this query doesn't have any pictures available online, but is in a very poor state - hence the enquiry as to if it was a specific boat builder's style.

That boat is described as a Colecraft shell, but I can not find any other Colecraft boats with the same shape and detailing on the bow.

I think some call it a Norseman bow

Norseman was Hancock and Lane of Daventry. There is a chap who post as Kedian on here that worked for H&L.

Good rugged well fabricated boats. Mum and stepdad just sold their 45' H&L, of which I had done a fair bit of welding on.

I might be a neejit.

Hints in this thread have made me look closer at the one I'm curious about, and there are minor differences.

I'll try the real thing this time ...

UswFH2Cl.jpg

L4uJVZtl.jpg

2fyYGx1l.jpg

Edited to shrink huge images

Edited by TheBiscuits

It's very similar to the bow on Beau. A compromise between form and function and maximising space within the boat length. Likely to be favoured by pragmatic types for whom aesthetics and historical detailling aren't of the highest priority. Having said that, I rather like the look of a bow like this. I would describe it as 'purposeful'.

Have you got a better overall shot, so we can see the line of the bow from the cabin onwards? Does look decidedly Colecraft to me.

2014-01-11183338_zps7609e224.jpg

2014-01-11183319_zps26845fd7.jpg

The front edge of those cabin sides and the shape and size of the cratch is wrong. My Calcutt/Andicraft is more similar.

Edited by Dave_P

, I rather like the look of a bow like this. I would describe it as 'purposeful'.

A word which I use to describe, for example, the bow of Fox's boats. I mean it as a compliment, as I am sure you do.

I might be a neejit.

Hints in this thread have made me look closer at the one I'm curious about, and there are minor differences.

I'll try the real thing this time ...

UswFH2Cl.jpg

L4uJVZtl.jpg

2fyYGx1l.jpg

Edited to shrink huge images

Doesn't look like a Colecraft to me - foredeck and cant shape is wrong and I've not seen that profile on the cabin sides (or roof) on a Colecraft. I could go with the Andicraft suggestion, or Dave Clark maybe?

ETA - nice to see one of Waterway's hireboats (Water Snail) getting some love!

Edited by Rose Narrowboats