The End of My One Plan and Unlimited Tethering!!

Richard10002

Featured Posts

My contract with Three for The One Plan costs £31 per month, as it included a phone. I called them today to ask if they would reduce my payments as my 2 year contract ended last month, and they offered to reduce it to £14 per month but, as expected, I would be restricted to 4Gb of tethering.

I asked if they would do 200minutes, not many texts, AYCE data, inc. 4Gb tethering, for £8, and they stuck at £14. So I've got my PAC Code, and will be switching to Giff Gaff on 16th March.

If necessary, I'll get a £20 15Gb mobile Broadband sim from EE to provide my onboard internet.

My costs would be the same, but I would be rid of Three, who were reasonably good while they lasted, but I think they may have shot themselves in the foot.

PAC code so that you can take your existing phone number with you.

I'm with 3 on the One Plan SIM Only, 12 month contract due to expire 20th March 2015, havent heard anything yet. My data usage fluctuates wildly, the least I've used is 8GB in a month, the most was 186GB in a month. Between 20GB & 30GB seems to be the norm for me. The number of minutes I've used rarely goes above 10 mins, despite an allowance of 2000 mins + 5000 3 to 3 mins. The number of texts rarely goes above 10 despite an allowance of 5000 texts.

4GB tethering is simply not an option, thats just 6 min per week of video on Youtube @ 1080p.

But who to use? I detest BT, I've had nothing but bad experiences with them over the years & have vowed never to use them again. Unfortunately it seems BT are buying EE. I was willing to give EE a go.
I also cant stand O2 thanks to using them once, where I had 2 years of no service but they kept taking my money, even when I cancelled the DD multiple times which kept getting reinstated at their request, & I've been to court multiple times with them where they have lost each & every time & still they wont cough up what the court has ordered them to pay me back, it seems contempt of court is reserved for people but not corporations.
I dont think much of Vodafone either, full signal strength but virtually no data, dropped calls, poor quality calls, & the last time I was with them service disappeared for almost 2 months, which they denied, but the whole area was out, & it turns out they had removed the transmitter, which they still denied, & then 1 day the transmitter magically re-appeared, but they were still in denial about it having ever gone.
So Giff Gaff is out cuz they use O2, Talkmobile is out cuz they use Vodafone. Tesco simply dont do enough data

So Giff Gaff is out cuz they use O2, Talkmobile is out cuz they use Vodafone. Tesco simply dont do enough data

As far as i'm aware, Tesco also use the O2 network. (Well OH's contract with them certainly does)..

In my experience the coverage of anything based on Vodafone is so poor as to make it near useless.

Based on how much tethered data some people are saying they use on "one plan" I can fully understand why Three say they need to shut off unlimited tethering. However many people will not find 4GB enough. A great shame in my view that Three are not offering something that kills off the unlimited, but doesn't put such a low cap on tethering. It would seem fairer to stop "unlimited" use without so heavily penalising the more moderate.

My data usage fluctuates wildly, the least I've used is 8GB in a month, the most was 186GB in a month.

May I ask what you're doing to rack up 8-186GB of downloaded data in a month? Or am I best not asking?

Perhaps you could obtain the "material" you're downloading on DVD?

I still have my one plan sim only at £15 per month. Contract ended July last year now rolling and have not been told they are changing its terms so my iPad and smart TV are permanently tethered to my phone

Our contract (at £15 month) ended last October, we have (so far) no notification of any changes and hopefully it continues to roll over. It is our sole means of communication and internet access.

Using 12-20 Gb per month tethered

I still have my one plan sim only at £15 per month. Contract ended July last year now rolling and have not been told they are changing its terms so my iPad and smart TV are permanently tethered to my phone

Mine similar, although contract only ended just before christmas.

Before they stopped selling the One plan, I was getting up to 5mb at home, but dropping to virtually nothing in the evening. For the past month its been between 5mb and 10mb all day, so a vast improvement - I can now trust it to deliver 24/7.

Just hoping to have dropped off their radar for a while yet! (Usual use is between 5 and 15gb per month so 4gb useless for me).

What a lot of freeloaders there are on here! It's a good job they're not Romanian, or single mothers ...

Why is it freeloading?

If Three's business logic is faulty, you can hardly blame their customers for that. smile.png

What would be really cool is an exchange where spare GBs of allowance could be traded for credit and back again, on the same network.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

What a lot of freeloaders there are on here! It's a good job they're not Romanian, or single mothers ...

To be fair the so called "freeloaders" are only exploiting exactly what was being used as the main marketing feature of the "One Plan".

It is the supplier that caused the problem by offering something that clearly they could not deliver for ever, if people actually chose to take the "unlimited" part of their contract at face value.

Those who say they have not been contacted by Three are lucky. Despite not having had the plan for even my first contract year, I am being constantly phoned by a variety of numbers from Three all beginning 0800 358 xxxx. I have no doubt what the intent of these calls are, so I'm ignoring them until I get contacted in some other way. I am not a big user, and my use is intermittent, but when all of us are on the boat for a month or more, then the 4GB tethering limit would be useless, unless we massively reigned in our Internet use.

My one plan unlimited tethering has been limited to 4gb and it is useless. There is no way to buy a meaningful amount of tethering off 3 either so it does look like they have shot themselves in the foot. I think it's going to be EE for the data at least.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

My contract with Three for The One Plan costs £31 per month, as it included a phone. I called them today to ask if they would reduce my payments as my 2 year contract ended last month, and they offered to reduce it to £14 per month but, as expected, I would be restricted to 4Gb of tethering.

I asked if they would do 200minutes, not many texts, AYCE data, inc. 4Gb tethering, for £8, and they stuck at £14. So I've got my PAC Code, and will be switching to Giff Gaff on 16th March.

If necessary, I'll get a £20 15Gb mobile Broadband sim from EE to provide my onboard internet.

My costs would be the same, but I would be rid of Three, who were reasonably good while they lasted, but I think they may have shot themselves in the foot.

Just changing from the One Plan to one of Threes sim only plans. The tethering had become very slow/unusable, but their coverage warrants retaining their services for the phone.

The £26 a month saving (it was an expensive phone!) is more than enough to top up any of the numerous networks sim cards that get used in the unlocked mifi device.

Just found that you can still find a simple tariff on Vodafone - its called Sainsburys mobile!

We need Elon Musk / Branson / Google to hurry up with the low orbit satellite broadband as it looks like the wireless providers just can't keep up with requirements. It's not so much that its unaffordable, it's unavailable. EE 50Gb deal is about the only viable option and that's only for business accounts.

Before I cancel my Three contract I'm going to try TetherMe on my iPhone (Jailbreak) to see if that allows me to go above the 4Gb. We seem to be stuck at 2Gb, not sure if there is a weekly limit as well as the overall 4Gb one?