The End of My One Plan and Unlimited Tethering!!

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Hi all

Without trawling thro this entire thread can anyone possibly answer me this................

My One plan runs out in august and I am hoping they will not notice as I am a low data user but its nice to have. I pay 36 quid a month including the fone, now when the 2 years is up I dont care two hoots about the so called " upgrade " term I will be more than happy to keep the old fone and still pay the 36 quid a month for the one plan I dont want a reduction in price I am happy to pay what I pay now without a new phone..........will they let me do this?

Tim

Hey Tim

My contract finished last summer and I'm still on the One Plan. We use 20-30gb per month. Keeping my fingers crossed we stay under the radar as I can't see anything out there yet that'd suit us.

Three moved me off The One Plan (was using over 200GB a month tethering) at the start of this month onto a Sim Only plan with 4GB Tethering and unlimited handset data.

From what was about £15/month I now only pay £8/month and so far, none of the data I've used through tethering (about 2.5GB) has been deducted from my personal hotspot allowance blink.png .

My heavy data usage has shifted from my PC to a mobile app, so I've still used over 170GB this month and remained within the terms of the package, but Three now get paid less for delivering the same amount of data!

Three moved me off The One Plan (was using over 200GB a month tethering) at the start of this month onto a Sim Only plan with 4GB Tethering and unlimited handset data.

From what was about £15/month I now only pay £8/month and so far, none of the data

Could I ask how you managed to get them down to that price?

I'm in the last 30 days of a 2 year contract with Three which came with a phone and all you can eat data and is currently £33 month (no tethering).

I asked to move on to sim only with all you can eat data and the required amount of minutes which is 600, but when I tried to do a deal they wouldn't offer anything over and above what was available to new customers on their website at a cost of £22 per month. The retention advisor refused to give me a pac code saying I could call back for one when I decided to leave.

Am I getting through to the wrong team or am I asking the wrong things?

Best deal they would offer me for 200mins, unlimited phone data and 4Gb tethered was £14. I said I would stay if they would do it for £8,but they wouldn't go below £14. I had my PAC code within hours.

I guess the £8 deal must depend on who you get, or what their individual targets might be.

I'm fully aware of the justifications for such piss taking and I tend to agree that it would have been better if Three had an iron cap of 20gb per person but they didn't and it could have (did) work very well until people like you cocked it up for everybody.

I'm curious. If a customer has a requirement for hundreds of gb's of data, and a network offers to sell him a plan which provides that, and says it's ok to use that much, then what do you think that customer has done wrong?

On reading the terms and conditions, it seems that Three do have an iron cap on "unlimited" data of 1000gb. On top of which they are also keen to point out that they have no fair use policy; which seemimgly welcomes, if not encourages usage up to that limit. As such, heavy users haven't cocked anything up for everybody, as it seems the tariff was specifically designed to attract those users.

From Three's price guide:

"A usage cap has been set at a 1000GB in order for example to identify commercial use of the service, which is not permitted under the Terms for Three Services...With all-you-can-eat data, there are no “fair use policies”

Perhaps a plan with a 20gb cap may suit you and, if Three provided one, I doubt you'd think it reasonable if a 10gb user called you a selfish piss taker for using 18gb, but you'd be no less of one than those who use hundreds of gb's on an "unlimited" tariff. The reality is that Three offered a plan with 1000gb of data, and so anyone using that much doesn't need to justify anything, as they simply bought precisely the plan that was offered to meet their needs.

The fact that Three feel they can no longer sustain such a plan is hardly the fault of a customer who took them at their at word and bought in good faith. Nor is it that customer's responsbility to set a self imposed limit that Three said was unnecessary. In the end it's just a commercial decision by Three, and any responsibility for that rests with them, and not its customers.

Edited by abraxus
  • Greenie 1

Given that Three's network seems to be throttled or congested at peak times, the only way one could get 20+ GB/month must have been to be downloading a high amount of videos/films using some kind of file sharing through the night - probably more downloaded than you could ever watch????

As it happens one can easily get through that much without using any file sharing through the night. I cant get a decent tv signal on the boat, and so use iPlayer, Netflix etc. I also have a lot of films and tv shows on my home pc, which I stream to the tv on the boat. A film in full HD can be as much a couple of gb or so, and tv shows a bit less. As such I can easily get through tens of gb's in a week, never mind a month. I tend to stream and watch at peak times and rarely seem to have any bandwidth issues.

I get why some people might moan about heavy users, but frankly I buy according to what's available and what I need, and whilstever I pay my bills I expect the supplier to live up to their side of the bargain.

• Greenie 1

As it happens one can easily get through that much without using any file sharing through the night. I cant get a decent tv signal on the boat, and so use iPlayer, Netflix etc. I also have a lot of films and tv shows on my home pc, which I stream to the tv on the boat. A film in full HD can be as much a couple of gb or so, and tv shows a bit less. As such I can easily get through tens of gb's in a week, never mind a month. I tend to stream and watch at peak times and rarely seem to have any bandwidth issues.

I get why some people might moan about heavy users, but frankly I buy according to what's available and what I need, and whilstever I pay my bills I expect the supplier to live up to their side of the bargain.

Yeah I think its quite variable according to location. I noticed that in more built up areas, Three's speed slowed down at peak times but in slighly more rural locations it continued to perform at more/less normal speeds.

Yeah I think its quite variable according to location. I noticed that in more built up areas, Three's speed slowed down at peak times but in slighly more rural locations it continued to perform at more/less normal speeds.

I suspect so, as I'm in an area that I guess is borderline suburban, but not too built up. I get occasional buffering, but it's quite rare. In fact it's faster (as was O2's old all you can eat plan) and more reliable than the wifi was at my previous marina.

To be honest, in areas where a tv signal is difficult on a boat, and there's no wifi, the all you can eat tariif is a godsend

I'm curious. If a customer has a requirement for hundreds of gb's of data, and a network offers to sell him a plan which provides that, and says it's ok to use that much, then what do you think that customer has done wrong?

On reading the terms and conditions, it seems that Three do have an iron cap on "unlimited" data of 1000gb. On top of which they are also keen to point out that they have no fair use policy; which seemimgly welcomes, if not encourages usage up to that limit. As such, heavy users haven't cocked anything up for everybody, as it seems the tariff was specifically designed to attract those users.

From Three's price guide:

"A usage cap has been set at a 1000GB in order for example to identify commercial use of the service, which is not permitted under the Terms for Three Services...With all-you-can-eat data, there are no “fair use policies”

Perhaps a plan with a 20gb cap may suit you and, if Three provided one, I doubt you'd think it reasonable if a 10gb user called you a selfish piss taker for using 18gb, but you'd be no less of one than those who use hundreds of gb's on an "unlimited" tariff. The reality is that Three offered a plan with 1000gb of data, and so anyone using that much doesn't need to justify anything, as they simply bought precisely the plan that was offered to meet their needs.

The fact that Three feel they can no longer sustain such a plan is hardly the fault of a customer who took them at their at word and bought in good faith. Nor is it that customer's responsbility to set a self imposed limit that Three said was unnecessary. In the end it's just a commercial decision by Three, and any responsibility for that rests with them, and not its customers.

Well said, have a greenie.

It's a bit like when the landline based ISPs would blame slow connections on the teenager next door for hogging all the bandwidth by gaming & watching Youtube & torrenting. Where in actual fact they had oversold what they could provide. Let's say they could provide 100Mbps in total, they would sell it at 10Mbps to the individual households, which was fine as long as only 10 households used it at the same time, but in reality they had sold it to 1000 households, so if they all tried at the same time to use it they'd only get 0.1Mbps each, must be the teenagers fault. It was called contention ratio. It was common for that ratio to be over 1000.

I was offered unlimited data, so I bought unlimited data, dont have a go at me for using what I'm paying for. When you bought your boat did you buy a whole boat? (shared ownership not included obviously) Does that make you a bad person for using the whole boat instead of sharing it with other boaters who bought from the same place.

Yet there never seems to be complaints about people who dont use their minutes allowance or their text allowance. I barely use 10 mins & 10 texts each month, yet the allowance is 400 mins & 5000 texts.

/rant

With regards to the One Plan ending it's unlimited tethering mine finished 3 days ago. I was on a SIM Only version, in other words I supplied my own phone, & it costs £20pm. I'm usually a heavy data user, Christmas was 186Gb, January was only about 8Gb unusually low for me. I havent heard anything yet, so I'm still getting unlimited tethering. So fingers crossed.

I'd be interested to know, those who have had their plans ended, were you on a SIM Only plan or did it come with a phone?

I'd be interested to know, those who have had their plans ended, were you on a SIM Only plan or did it come with a phone?

Mine was a sim only plan, and the unimited tethering part of the contract ended in February.

That said, I stll tether just as much and, whenever I check how much allowance I have left, it always says 4gb. I did once ask them how much tethered data I used and they couldn't tell me and so, for now at least, its seems that they don't have any reliable way of measuring tethered data usage, and don't seem to be enforcing the cap.