Price of diesel

nebulae

Featured Posts

I'd expect it to ease off a bit in spring when the demand for heating oil goes down, but only if the other market conditions stay the same. You never know, China might set off again like an economic juggernaut and push prices back up again!

it would depend on the boatyards throughput.

A yard may have bought at a much higher price months ago - have slow sales at this time of year, and not be able to reduce it until the next tanker is delivered.

Another boatyard or coalboat may have built up a good trade, not only with boats, but surrounding agricultural and industrial customers, shift lots, and be able to react far quicker to market changes. Diesel around Northants is currently sub 70p from several suppliers.

New to all this but I thought diesel in a boatyard/marina was still up around 90 p/ltre isn't it ?

Am I right ? I need to fill my new boat up so quite relevant at the moment.

65 p a litre at Sawley.

Nice trip out on ya boat.

Tim

As I said I am new to all this but can't believe the variations in price.

I have just called 3 Marina's within a couple of miles of me and have been quoted

89p/l (all domestic)

57p/l (Domestic) and 117p/l (Propulsion)

117p/l (Flat rate no split)

I need about 150 litres so it could be either £85 or £175

How does one sensibly buy diesel I ask, the boat will be on its mooring for next 3 months and that fill up will be used exclusively for domestic heating whilst we do renovations and modifications. Clearly I would like to fill up with the 57p/l Domestic, will I have any problems with stating that and getting it at that price ?

It is up to you to declare what split you are going to use the fuel for.

A retailer should have no input and no argument.

A retailer that is enforcing a split (ie 60:40) - or charging a flat rate is not operating within the guidelines and may well be feathering their own pockets with the proceeds.

Report this supplier to HMRC as that is not legal !

Not correct.

A supplier can say they will only sell to someone who will make a 60%/40% declaration. This has been explored with HMRC, and what they are doing, though annoying, is not illegal.

57p/l (Domestic) and 117p/l (Propulsion)

This one on the other hand......

The difference between the propulsion and non propulsion rates, (i.e. the difference in Fuel Duty, plus the 5% VAT added to that fuel duty), still works out at a fixed amount of about 50 pence per litre. So if the non propulsion rate is 57p/litre, then the propulsion rate should be about 10p less than shown here at 107p/litre. Don't know about legality, but the 60p difference between the two rates is plain wrong, if the base price being charged for the fuel is the same.

• 1 month later...