CRT advertising for chuggers all over the place - how to waste more money!

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Ever been annoyed by those Towpath Chuggers? well it seems they want more and they are paying £9.00 per hour, travel and accommodation expenses!

Is this the way forward for CRT fundraising? putting it out to a third party fim "Inspired People" - What exactly will this achieve and what is the true cost in the first place to CRT. Maybe Ruth Ruderham can explain.

http://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1030390425?page=1

http://www.gumtree.com/p/general-jobs/footpath-fundraisers-for-canal-river-trust-london-%C2%A39-hour/1030390425

I was very surprised when reaching the top of the Farmers Bridge flight the Sunday before Christmas to see 2 young ladies setting up a folding gazebo area and a CRT back screen.

I was there in the top lock half an hour, pumping the bilge out, making a cup of tea and removing t shirts and bags from the prop.

In that time, they chatted to each other under the gazebo as a few people walked past.

I exited the lock next to them, got off to close the gate next to them, and got back on....they carried on chatting to each other without looking, saying hello, or perhaps noticing that there was a boat there.

It was probably one of the first boats up there for 2 months.

At least they could use people that have a smidgen of interest in what they are selling - rather than someone who can irritatingly bounce towards you blocking your way with a big smile and talk to you like you are their best friend - or not as the case was this time.

Well, I've learned what a 'Chugger' is today!

Matty, the extracts below from the links may explain why they weren't interested in you as a boater:

Canal & River Trust are looking to gather together a team of friendly and passionate people who love their wildlife .....

You will be talking to the other path users.....

Maybe if you'd taken the time to sit on your bicycle, planting rushes whilst sniffing glue and knitting yourself a wooly otter hat you'd have made a better impression? wink.png

ETA a wink in case anyone thought I was being serious.

Edited by Sea Dog

Not sure who or what "Inspired people" is. A chugging company or a recruitment agency?

My understanding is the initially CaRT used a chugging company and were not happy with the cost or results, and so now employ their own chuggers directly. I have watched these chuggers at work at a few locations (including the top or Farmers) and they do look ok. I personally do not approve of chugging but the CaRT ones appear a lot less forceful or "in yer face" as the city centre types.

As Matty observed, they appear to leave boaters alone (maybe told we are not worth it?) though are always happy to chat to us if approached.

I chatted to a couple of the Chuggers in Bham last year and they did have an impressive success rate, so maybe the more relaxed approach is working.

...............Dave

Just an idea but why not pay the lock keepers nine pound an hour and get them to tell everyone that passes what a wonderful place the canal is for people and nature, then they wouldn't need to keep advertising for volunteer lockies or pay doughnuts to sit under a gazebo chatting shite all day, seems like a win win to me

• Greenie 4

Just an idea but why not pay the lock keepers nine pound an hour and get them to tell everyone that passes what a wonderful place the canal is for people and nature, then they wouldn't need to keep advertising for volunteer lockies or pay doughnuts to sit under a gazebo chatting shite all day, seems like a win win to me

I think the two jobs are different and many volunteer lock keepers might not want to be salesmen.

Remember how pissed off the AA patrols got when they were told to be "financial product" salesmen a few years ago????

However I do think that any lock keepers who are willing should be given the training and paperwork needed to sign up donators.

...........Dave

I think the two jobs are different and many volunteer lock keepers might not want to be salesmen.

Remember how pissed off the AA patrols got when they were told to be "financial product" salesmen a few years ago????

However I do think that any lock keepers who are willing should be given the training and paperwork needed to sign up donators.

...........Dave

So its mid August and 4 boats at the bottom of Bingley 5 waiting for half of the 6 coming down and the lock keeper is busy talking to a group of visitors who may join CaRT. Will it really work?

I was very surprised when reaching the top of the Farmers Bridge flight the Sunday before Christmas to see 2 young ladies setting up a folding gazebo area and a CRT back screen.

I was there in the top lock half an hour, pumping the bilge out, making a cup of tea and removing t shirts and bags from the prop.

In that time, they chatted to each other under the gazebo as a few people walked past.

I exited the lock next to them, got off to close the gate next to them, and got back on....they carried on chatting to each other without looking, saying hello, or perhaps noticing that there was a boat there.

It was probably one of the first boats up there for 2 months.

At least they could use people that have a smidgen of interest in what they are selling - rather than someone who can irritatingly bounce towards you blocking your way with a big smile and talk to you like you are their best friend - or not as the case was this time.

A couple of months before Matty's encounter, I had a completely different experience in the same place. However, I was on foot.

Amongst, the 'facts' I was given by the single male chugger -

CaRT has 2,500 miles of canal.

CaRT has been in operation for three years.

In that three years it has restored 250 miles of canal including the Droitwich.

Government would match fund any donation.

Ever been annoyed by those Towpath Chuggers? well it seems they want more and they are paying £9.00 per hour, travel and accommodation expenses!

Is this the way forward for CRT fundraising? putting it out to a third party fim "Inspired People" - What exactly will this achieve and what is the true cost in the first place to CRT. Maybe Ruth Ruderham can explain.

http://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1030390425?page=1

http://www.gumtree.com/p/general-jobs/footpath-fundraisers-for-canal-river-trust-london-%C2%A39-hour/1030390425

As has been pointed out earlier in the thread, CaRT's chugging efforts are now 'in house'.

They started out using three chugging companies, only to have the largest go bust very early on.

Later, at least one other chugging company refused to work with them rather forcing their hand to to employ direct.

With regard to recruitment success, they still seem to be aiming for 100,000 regular donors over the first ten years of the Trust - at least that is what was said in an advert attempting to recruit an 'individual giving manager' to Ruth Ruderham's team.

If we assume that, to hit that target, CaRT has to get an extra 10,000 regular donors each year, then they are currently somewhere between a quarter and a third of where they should be. This is not very good when you take into account that they should have had some goodwill on startup and they have amalgamated TNT donors.

However, there are signs that recruitment rates are getting better as the new method of chugging is being rolled out across the country.

I will be giving a talk and short heritage walk for the CRT volunteers and 'chuggers' next week so that they know a bit more about the history of the L&LC, and are able to answer questions more easily. The walk should introduce them to some of the heritage features on the canal, particularly the locks, so that they can add interest to any discussion with towpath walkers or boaters, depending upon what they are doing at the time. It will also introduce them to what the canal society has done/is doing with Kennet, as we already work alongside each other at some events.

• Greenie 1

I will be giving a talk and short heritage walk for the CRT volunteers and 'chuggers' next week so that they know a bit more about the history of the L&LC, and are able to answer questions more easily. The walk should introduce them to some of the heritage features on the canal, particularly the locks, so that they can add interest to any discussion with towpath walkers or boaters, depending upon what they are doing at the time. It will also introduce them to what the canal society has done/is doing with Kennet, as we already work alongside each other at some events.

Brilliant well done you. Thank god not everyone here is so negative toward CART.

Ian.

It's no different to the bright sparkly young people who knock on our days at night wearing caps and sweaters emblazoned with ....

Heart Foundation

RSPCA

Ironing Boards for the Blind Agnostics

"..... for only £2 a month you'll get a regular magazine, stickers to cover your car in and 3 letters a year from the pig you've donated your heart to."

A couple of years ago having just lost my dog I signed up to Dogs Protection League. I stipulated that I wanted my donation to go to helping dogs, I didn't want the fluffy toy, I didn't want the welcome pack, I didn't want the letters from my imaginary adopted hound. Just have my money and use it.

After 3 months I canceled the payments and chucked the accumulation of magazines, stickers, adoption certificates, raffle tickets, soft toys and baseball cap in the bin.

It's no different to the bright sparkly young people who knock on our days at night wearing caps and sweaters emblazoned with ....

Heart Foundation

RSPCA

Ironing Boards for the Blind Agnostics

"..... for only £2 a month you'll get a regular magazine, stickers to cover your car in and 3 letters a year from the pig you've donated your heart to."

A couple of years ago having just lost my dog I signed up to Dogs Protection League. I stipulated that I wanted my donation to go to helping dogs, I didn't want the fluffy toy, I didn't want the welcome pack, I didn't want the letters from my imaginary adopted hound. Just have my money and use it.

After 3 months I canceled the payments and chucked the accumulation of magazines, stickers, adoption certificates, raffle tickets, soft toys and baseball cap in the bin.

I think that most people do not realise that when they make a donation to a charity that only part of the money ends up being used for the purpose intended.

With CaRT, at the moment, it is much worse. It costs them about two pounds for each pound they raise.

Put another way, CaRT's annual report shows them as raising £1.2m in 2013/14. However, the costs associated with raising that were £2.2m.

On the original projections, it was not until about year five when 'charitable giving' income exceeds expenditure to secure that income.

This has not stopped CaRT giving a 'golden pound' promise that all money given will be used for charitable purposes.

Why.not make every boat owner a friend on license renewal , send them the friend pack, some I'm sure will recruit more friends if boaters felt more included in CRTs wider aims.

I think this is a good idea.

CaRT's initial view was that boat owners were paying enough already so were not to be targeted by the chuggers.

Boaters would probably agree!

However, if you could tick a box on a licence application form to indicate you were a friend then perhaps boaters would not feel so excluded.

It could be very simply done by giving friends a licence discount equal to the minimum cost of being a friend.

It could be very simply done by giving friends a licence discount equal to the minimum cost of being a friend.

So what is the point in CRT making you a friend? If you support the waterways you can recruit friends from the non boating community without being called a friend yourself.

Surely the idea of being a friend is to raise money. Some boaters will have become friends. If it was part of the license then some (maybe not a lot ) funding would be lost.

As I have said I never want to be a friend, perhaps it is because of my opinion on the "Friends of the Lake District", I would however readily become a member.

Before anyone says it I don't think it is necessary to give members something after all they don't give friends anything.

Why.not make every boat owner a friend on license renewal , send them the friend pack, some I'm sure will recruit more friends if boaters felt more included in CRTs wider aims.

I have been hammering this idea at Simon Salem for ages but you just cannot seem to get them to take the simple and obvious on board. Include being a friend in your licence renewal with the option to donate or to not become a friend - simple. But they don't do simple do they?

Google Ruth Ruderham and see what public profile she displays, you will find little CRT or waterway activity linked to her, but you will find save the children, Oxfam, save the Galapagos islands etc there, not many narrow boats will ever go there......

CRT deserves to end up RE NATIONALISED like Network Rail has.

I have been hammering this idea at Simon Salem for ages but you just cannot seem to get them to take the simple and obvious on board. Include being a friend in your licence renewal with the option to donate or to not become a friend - simple. But they don't do simple do they?

Google Ruth Ruderham and see what public profile she displays, you will find little CRT or waterway activity linked to her, but you will find save the children, Oxfam, save the Galapagos islands etc there, not many narrow boats will ever go there......

CRT deserves to end up RE NATIONALISED like Network Rail has.

I think you will find that it is Ruth Ruderham's individual giving manager, Daniel Charles, who has paid with his job for the failure to recruit sufficient friends. A 'usually reliable source' in the Trust tells me that he quietly went a couple of months back (although 'linkedin' still shows him working for them).

Those with long memories will remember the Daniel Charles 'begging emails' from Christmas before last.

Sorry Laurance even though I agree with a lot of your recent posts I think it is a bit unfair to judge Ruth Ruderham based on some Google results. I have met her a number of times and have had meetings on a number of projects. She has and does work very hard to raise money I think the corporate support she has managed to get alone justifies her position, not sure of the amount but think People's Lottery alone is over £250,000

Sorry Laurance even though I agree with a lot of your recent posts I think it is a bit unfair to judge Ruth Ruderham based on some Google results. I have met her a number of times and have had meetings on a number of projects. She has and does work very hard to raise money I think the corporate support she has managed to get alone justifies her position, not sure of the amount but think People's Lottery alone is over £250,000

I guess that CaRT still have faith in her as it is her direct report, Daniel Charles, that went.

" they appear to leave boaters alone (maybe told we are not worth it?) " - they are sassier than you may think and have been dipping into the forums here - once bitten, twice shy ;)

The whole CRT 'charity' thing seems a bit bizarre - isn't it time we all went to our Government representatives and DEMANDED that the canal network be nationalised and the proper amount of money pumped into it? MPs are YOUR slaves - not the other way around!

Britain is awash with cash, and the begging bowl nonsense should be stopped.

Britain (and its Government staff) should be proud of the canal heritage, make it much better and get tourists to come over and use them - no other country has this feature.

Oh... but that would mean more hire boats on 'The Cut'..... oh dear...

What was wrong with the name 'British Waterways'? What was wrong with the name 'British Rail'?

Why do successive British Governments keep trying to ruin Britain? Why do the voters not demand what's right?

Why do we have all these different railway companies with silly names - Virgin (sick name or what?), Arriva (cancelled, not actually arriving), Abellio (Dutch company with fake Italian flavour), First (worst).

The canals need dredging TODAY not tomorrow. Employing 'chuggers' is like throwing confetti, when we need spades.

• Greenie 1