Slight navigational error....

frangar

Featured Posts

Looks less like a ship and more like a box in that video.

Staggering how little of the hull is below the waterline compared to the topsides, judging by the waterline on the hull...

Nothing like a narrowboat, obvs ;)

MtB

Looks less like a ship and more like a box in that video.

Staggering how little of the hull is below the waterline compared to the topsides, judging by the waterline on the hull...

Nothing like a narrowboat, obvs wink.png

MtB

I always wonder why they don't fall over, just like the new big container ship that is in Felixtowe at the moment http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-30700269

I always wonder why they don't fall over, just like the new big container ship that is in Felixtowe at the moment http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-30700269

It's all about weight distribution and centre of gravity. Most of the weight of the ship is lower down. In the box like shape of the RORO car transporters there is an awful lot of empty space inside the upper part of the ship even when it is full of cars. They also take on ballast in water tanks low in the hull to even out the load and keep the centre of gravity low. They do look precarious all the same but is is rather an illusion. The modern cruise liner is much the same with a lot of apparent structure above the water line.

Some of it seems credible - excavator breaking loose and knocking a hole in the side - but I'd expect that to be a result of the serious list rather than the cause, and assuming the decks are numbered up from the bottom the sixth deck would surely be well above the normal water line. Probablly an excited journo has got the sequence of events muddled.

Tim

If that was the case I find it strange that it would float on the rising tied and not just fill with water

If that was the case I find it strange that it would float on the rising tied and not just fill with water

The last I heard was that the ship floated off because of the rising tide AND the fact that they were pumping water out.

Presumably they had plugged whatever hole had let the water in?

George ex nb Alton retired

Some of it seems credible - excavator breaking loose and knocking a hole in the side - but I'd expect that to be a result of the serious list rather than the cause, and assuming the decks are numbered up from the bottom the sixth deck would surely be well above the normal water line. Probablly an excited journo has got the sequence of events muddled.

Tim

Sounds likely, excavator will be 20ton or so, and on tracks, so holding it at 50deg would be hard work. Otherwise as you say, unlikely it broke free before the list was gained.

Daniel

UPDATE: HOEGH OSAKA - 8 JAN 2015

The vessel is currently stable at the anchorage. Three tugs kept it in place overnight despite some high winds in the early hours.

Up to 3000 tons of water is estimated to be on the vessel. Work will start today, when the weather improves, to pump this water off. An oily film has formed on top of this water from the hydraulics of the vehicles on board. The salvors will use a technique that draws the water from the bottom of the vessel to avoid this oily film. The removal of this water should reduce the vessel’s list.

​Before the vessel can be moved back to the Port of Southampton salvage work needs to be completed which will take between five and seven days. This work includes a hull inspection by divers, the removal of the water that entered the ship through the now-repaired crack, and ballasting operations to reduce the list.

Salvage teams are on board the vessel today and The Queen’s Harbour Master has now introduced an exclusion zone of 300m to remove the risk to leisure users of the Solent. Forecasts predict worsening weather at 0300 on Friday, which abates during the morning before picking up again at 1500 and reaching very high winds Saturday morning.

Sounds likely, excavator will be 20ton or so, and on tracks, so holding it at 50deg would be hard work. Otherwise as you say, unlikely it broke free before the list was gained.

Daniel

Looking at the photos taken before the ship sailed I would say that at least one of the excavators was a lot bigger that 20 tonnes, not that I should be telling Dan about Excavators though :-)

Tim

Looking at the photos taken before the ship sailed I would say that at least one of the excavators was a lot bigger that 20 tonnes, not that I should be telling Dan about Excavators though :-)

Tim

The photos not the best, but yes from the one photo in the article machine shown looks bigger than a 20ton machine, and coukd easily be a JS460 which is 46ton.

Daniel

I don't see any obvious signs of holding down straps/chains on the deck holding the heavy machinery (Daily Mail photo). AFAIK trucks are restrained on Ro-Ro ferries, so why not on a vehicle transporter?

Soon after the incident an (ex) employee appeared on TV saying that cars were restrained by webbing straps but bigger stuff was chained down.

George ex nb Alton retired

I don't see any obvious signs of holding down straps/chains on the deck holding the heavy machinery (Daily Mail photo). AFAIK trucks are restrained on Ro-Ro ferries, so why not on a vehicle transporter?

I'm pretty sure the photo was taken during loading. They won't have been strapped down until most were loaded

The photo is definitely not taken on the 'tilted' vessel

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The Hoegh Osaka has been safely berthed at 101 Berth at Western Docks Southampton.

Earlier: The Hoegh Osaka car carrier has departed the Alpha Anchorage in the Solent and is underway to the Port of Southamption.

The UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency reported Thursday that salvors were able to reduce the list to just 5 degrees, down from 25 degrees on Wednesday.

The ship is now under tow to Berth 101 in Southampton Port. The tow is expected to take about 3 hours. The vessel’s departure was scheduled for 1545 GMT.

According to the Southampton VTS, the towing operation is to be conducted by 4 tugs secured to the Hoegh Osaka, under the control of the operation’s Salvage Master and assisted by 2 ABP Southampton Pilots. The tow is expected to proceed at a speed of approximately 4 knots.

During the tow, there is an exclusion zone being enforced approximately 1,000 meters ahead and behind the vessel and 100 meters on either side. An exclusion zone has also been placed in the airspace, approximately 1 mile on either side of the navigation route and up to 2,000 feet.

The tow comes nearly 3 weeks after the vessel grounded on the Bramble Bank after developing a severe list shortly after departing Southampton with approximately 1,400 cars. The vessel self-floated from the bank on January 7 and was moved to the nearby Alpha Anchorage, where salvors from Svitzer have worked to reduce the list by pumping water from the vessel.

Edited by Dalesman