The Trials and Tribulations Of Historic Boat Buying ?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Cracking read, thanks for sharing.Dont know if I would ever be mad enough to take the plunge into historic or second boat ownership, but equally, am hugely envious of those that have!Danirl

Tell you what, when I win the lottery and get my FMC steamer, you can be in charge of sourcing the engine and boiler, and being the engine driver?

Tell you what, when I win the lottery and get my FMC steamer, you can be in charge of sourcing the engine and boiler, and being the engine driver?

Not sure I support ripping equipment our of vintage boats to replace it with mock-old plant.... :P

Daniel

Stretton as in the Shroppie black and white aqueduct over the A5, just north of Brewood.

I reckon there should be a rule that there are not muliple places with the same names on different canals - it's just too confusing!

Stretton, Thrupp, Heyford, etc. Fenny causes confusion too, although obviously that could be avoided if people used the full name of each.

Stretton as in the Shroppie black and white aqueduct over the A5, just north of Brewood.

Far too confusing for Google Maps to work out. Comes up with Coventry; Stamford, and Stretton Westwood (that was closer, but no cut on the Edge). And only being a 'Southerner' . . . . Even the aqueduct states "Birmingham & Liverpool Canal"!

Coh! I dunno . . .

Edited by Derek R.

Tell you what, when I win the lottery and get my FMC steamer, you can be in charge of sourcing the engine and boiler,

This has been done in the recent past - MONARCH was fitted with a steam engine and boiler in 1992, only to be removed again in 2005 to be replaced by a diesel again. To my mind this was a 'dark period' in MONARCH's history which also included a reduction in hull length.

Every 'working narrow boat' enthusiast knows that the 1930's Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. narrow boats were the Rolls Royce of the system, and they represented the best of modern design. It is just a matter of raising your expectations. F.M.C. Ltd. - no thanks you can keep you blowlamps and Bolinders, I will stick with quick start engines and self generated electricity. I have however heard a rumour that some old 'Joshers' have been modified to nearer G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. specifications over the years - I am not surprised really captain.gif

edit - of course the final, and ultimate development of the modern carrying narrow boat was the Pimblott built 'Admiral Class' motor boats of the late 1950's (excluding GRENVILLE which has badly designed fore end) as they also incorporated air cooled diesel engines. This design did take a turn for the worst with the last two pairs built by Yarwoods which are not so easy on the eye.

Edited by pete harrison

Far too confusing for Google Maps to work out. Comes up with Coventry; Stamford, and Stretton Westwood (that was closer, but no cut on the Edge). And only being a 'Southerner' . . . . Even the aqueduct states "Birmingham & Liverpool Canal"!

Coh! I dunno . . .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6949498,-2.1900352,310m/data=!3m1!1e3 smile.png

Probably of less interested to outsiders than the actual trials and tribulations of buying, but for anyone still following the plot in this post we finally get to own "Flamingo" and actually start moving it.

Just what is that thing on the roof about 1/2 way down? barrel of rum?

I can empathise with the bank business - NHS are just the same. But Alan & Catrin - quote:

"It had no fitted furniture beyond the kitchen, so there would be no tables or chairs."

I thought it had a back cabin?

First priority - get the stove lit. Milk tea and sugar - mugs. Pies. Check fuel and oils, start up. Does it leak. Does it engage gear. If yes and no leaks - get going!

Good luck, and best wishes for a healthy bank balance. You are going to need it. I'm quite envious in many ways, but lifestyles change etc..

Looking forward to more installments.

Edited by Derek R.

I love the picture going into Newbold tunnel - standing in one hatch and closely following another must feel like you are right up behind a pilotless boat!

Coming through MK anytime soon?

eta - just noticed the date at the top so probably long gone by now!!

Edited by Mike Tee

Probably of less interested to outsiders than the actual trials and tribulations of buying, but for anyone still following the plot in this post we finally get to own "Flamingo" and actually start moving it.

Your blog brings back painful memories of our maiden voyage when we brought Owl from Sileby to Cowroast. Because of water shortages it took five days to get from Leicester to Foxton. This included being stuck in the mouth of Saddington tunnel for 36 hours. It was in the days before mobile phones and it meant a very long walk to summon help.

Also I hadn't really got the hang of starting the Seffle yet and it would regularly take half an hour's kicking the flywheel before it fired - usually going backwards!

The light conked out in Blisworth tunnel and at Great Linford we managed to get a complete tipcat wedged between the stern post and the blade (no cabin shaft, of course) and I remember taking the sharp bend just before Fenny too fast. (The mark in the concrete is still there to this day).

Mind you - these make good stories to tell a quarter of a century later over a pint or two.

Best of luck Alan. And keep the blog entries coming.

Edited by koukouvagia

Just what is that thing on the roof about 1/2 way down? barrel of rum?

The front button fender, I think, (with a tyre wrap on it).

Given it was our first trip out with a lethal weapon, it might have been better attached to the front of the boat!

Coming through MK anytime soon?

eta - just noticed the date at the top so probably long gone by now!!

No, that was original plan, but we quickly revised it, and it has been on a mooring further North for some weeks now.

The light conked out in Blisworth tunnel .....................

Ah, a reminder, I should put the fiasco of the tunnel light, (and the resulting hours wasted over it), in a subsequent days posting.

(Some weird things happened - or didn't! - but there was ultimately an explanation)

I thought it had a back cabin?

A fair point....

It's rather full of stuff that shouldn't be there, but I guess we could have moved that into the big "box" at the front.

The bed hole is probably even "cosier" than "Sickle's though - definitely only for very close friends that are not too large to share!

Will you be getting rid of that boiler stack on the engine room room ?

Darren

Don't know yet.

I don't like it, or the massive boiler beneath it, but a great deal of money has been spent putting it all there, and I can't see us getting much of that back if we rip it out.

The previous owner thought the whole heating system pretty wonderful, but I have to say based on current experiences we are struggling, and it seems completely impractical for life away from a land-line.

Losing that "stack" isn't the most important thing right now, (though it seemed a distinct possibility under some of the lower Northern Oxford bridges!).

You should see the chimney it had on the solid fuel stove - I think legally it should have had warning lights on it for any low flying aircraft in the area!

No, that was original plan, but we quickly revised it, and it has been on a mooring further North for some weeks now.

If you are not yet south of Stoke Bruerne, let me know if you need a hand through the locks - we are only 15 mins away.

The previous owner thought the whole heating system pretty wonderful, but I have to say based on current experiences we are struggling, and it seems completely impractical for life away from a land-line.

We have a domestic diesel boiler in engine room with 240v pump for central heating although the exhaust exits the side of boat. I'm not too impressed either. Electric hungry and not too warm boat although rads are hot enough to touch. It's useful for autumn/spring to take edge off temp first/last thing but that's it.

I prefer to stoke up the solid fuel when it gets proper cold. And then drop the Stirling on top.

Edited by mark99

From the Maiden Voyage Second Day:

We did make Braunston in the light, but only just, and had decided we would stop as soon as a space presented itself, so didn't get as far as the junction at Braunston Turn, instead mooring up whilst still on the Northern Oxford. The towpath was soggy, and the condition poor, and the inadequate mooring stakes we had not doing a great job. I think they might have pulled out had there been a likelihood of boats passing, but hardly any boats seemed to be moving at all.

When stopping north of Braunston we have tied up about a mile north of the junction on a section where the cut is straight, there is decent piling to attach chains (or nappy pins) to, and there is enough depth for a Big Woolwich to get tright in to the side. The downside is that it is a bit of a walk to the car, especially if you have a lot of stuff to carry.

Planning a central heating system suitable for a full length cabin has as many adherents to as many different layouts/pumps/fuels as there are spots on a boxful of dominoes. I once had a conversation with a heating engineer about radiators and pipe runs for a thermosyphonic system. He was adamant that the hot feed pipe must go into the rad from a low position at the bottom, while I tried to explain that it works better if the feed is kept high going in at the top from a series of 'T's - and the feed pipe remain at radiator top height, whilst the return went out the bottom. top inlet - low outlet, is standard for domestic pumped systems with pipe runs close and parallel - this needs a pump (easier drawn than written). But if the layout is right, no pump would be needed for a natural thermosyphonic system provided the boiler output in terms of heat is balanced by the equal exchange of heat through the heat exchangers - radiators, calorifier, towel rail. For this to be efficient, the source of heat needs to be at the lower end of the water circulatory loop. In a long cabin such as on FLAMINGO, and with the natural state of vessel trim as higher at the front than the back, a boiler might best be sited near the back so that the hottest water being less dense and therefore lighter, flows naturally along the higher level pipe, replacing more dense cooler water in the lower pipe.

It will also work with the boiler at the fore end (slightly higher position) as was proven in YARMOUTH, which produced lashings of scalding water at the taps, and a radiator that would have you letting go very quickly - and all from a Morso Squirrel. Careful consideration needs to be paid to header tank, 'cold' feed position and vent pipe in all cases. This is with an open system i.e. non-pressurised.

About diesel fuelled boilers I have no experience, though there will undoubtedly be some who do have same with tales of pumps and pipes to boot.

Also; any partition of any kind within a long cabin will very effectively stop any ambient warm air being transferred throughout a cabin - hence the need for radiators in several parts! One theory that has indeed been used to good effect in practice abroad, is the circulation of warm air through ducting (think Romans). A shrouded boiler flue pipe open at floor level will have the air within heated and rising. Connect to ducting to the farthest section of cabin will create a circulation of warm air. The downside is the space such a system would take up, and with space very much an issue within boats, probably not worth the effort of executing in practice.

Edited by Derek R.