The Trials and Tribulations Of Historic Boat Buying ?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Hopefully we already have a shell that will not need too much work other than painting, so hopefully not!

Famous last words ???

We thought that and then were advised to cut out and replace most of the base plate before spending on the interior.

Thanks - perhaps we should have had a survey!:lol:

I didn't on purchase but had hull sand blasted then surveyed prior to the yard starting the work guess that tells you we were going to buy Aber whatever a survey revealed , the base plate forward of the engine room was marginal and we decided to cut out and replace to ensure no future worries.

Love that dark back cabin. So many are done in light Oak finish and I like dark hidey holes. (Just a personal thing . . )

The minimal fit out is a bonus - get that sheeting off and get behind for maintenance and insulation - just imagine the same task with a fancy fully fitted cabin! Get it sound and keep it simple.

Interesting post Alan.

To be honest I think starting again on the fit out is better than being lumbered with somebody else's nicely done but not what you really like choices.

One of the things that I like about historic boats is the simplicity and lack of complications . That bath would be top of my get rid list, they aren't even a good place to keep the coal.

Another fan of dark hidey holes too, I put a stainless steel fruit bowl over the bullseye if I want a good lie in . Cats being champion sleepers as you all know.

Edited by madcat

I too would certainly start from scratch.

Although it took a long time to fit out the motor, when it came to the butty it was much quicker.

The long holdups were mainly because I was waiting for steel work to be competed. The actual fit out was quick. It was, however, very simple. No complicated electrics and very straightforward heating and plumbing.

I went from this

cakes002_zpsa09bf3dc.jpg

via this

Mar17013_zpsf0d4bde2.jpg

to this within a couple of weeks.

IMG_0043_zps17274e60.jpg

Love that dark back cabin. So many are done in light Oak finish and I like dark hidey holes. (Just a personal thing . . )

The minimal fit out is a bonus - get that sheeting off and get behind for maintenance and insulation - just imagine the same task with a fancy fully fitted cabin! Get it sound and keep it simple.

Cracking read, thanks for sharing.

Dont know if I would ever be mad enough to take the plunge into historic or second boat ownership, but equally, am hugely envious of those that have!

Danirl

Dont know if I would ever be mad enough to take the plunge into historic or second boat ownership, but equally, am hugely envious of those that have!

We are taking the view that you are only old once!

Thanks - perhaps we should have had a survey!laugh.png

Surveys are for girls!

I had Rufford out earlier in the year and poked in the odd place with a hammer / screw driver. I'd rather be the one to put a hole in me boat that some surveyor that I have paid silly amounts.

Surveys are for girls!

I had Rufford out earlier in the year and poked in the odd place with a hammer / screw driver. I'd rather be the one to put a hole in me boat that some surveyor that I have paid silly amounts.

Hi,

You are right in some respects, but the trouble is that due to the age of these historic boats you have to get a hull survey from a qualified Surveyor every 4? years for insurance purposes............... unless you go down the Third Party route.

L

Hi,

You are right in some respects, but the trouble is that due to the age of these historic boats you have to get a hull survey from a qualified Surveyor every 4? years for insurance purposes............... unless you go down the Third Party route.

L

Typically, I think an insurer like Towergate Mardon, (probably by far the ost used for "historics"), needs to see a hull survey dated within the last 6 years for comprehensive insurance, so not quite as bad as you suggest, I think.

Fortunately some insurers will maintain cover on the basis of a survey or even just a condition report for a previous owner. We will have owned "Sickle" for 4 years this coming may, and have never ourselves yet had to get a survey. It must soon be requested, surely?

As an aside though, for those who maybe don't understand the vagaries of the world of historic boats, there are actually, in my experience, only a very small number of surveyors that people tend to use for craft of this type, (and I do mean a very small number). In reality, any recent (or less recent) survey of each of 4 boats we considered had all been done by the same person, who is also therefore the name many people would suggest you use if wanting a pre-purchase survey. Had we gone for this, he would have been resurveying a boat he carried out a survey on relatively recently, in most cases.

So whilst Richard says he did not have a survey done, what he is not saying, is that he almost certainly sighted the same relatively recent survey as we did, so will at least know what the declared situation was then.

All that said, I note the recent story of "Reginald", surveyed by one of the well known names, (not the one I'm talking about above). Presumably the survey did not predict a likely sinking, so it does throw the whole idea into some doubt, in my mind!

Typically, I think an insurer like Towergate Mardon, (probably by far the ost used for "historics"), needs to see a hull survey dated within the last 6 years for comprehensive insurance, so not quite as bad as you suggest, I think.

Fortunately some insurers will maintain cover on the basis of a survey or even just a condition report for a previous owner. We will have owned "Sickle" for 4 years this coming may, and have never ourselves yet had to get a survey. It must soon be requested, surely?

As an aside though, for those who maybe don't understand the vagaries of the world of historic boats, there are actually, in my experience, only a very small number of surveyors that people tend to use for craft of this type, (and I do mean a very small number). In reality, any recent (or less recent) survey of each of 4 boats we considered had all been done by the same person, who is also therefore the name many people would suggest you use if wanting a pre-purchase survey. Had we gone for this, he would have been resurveying a boat he carried out a survey on relatively recently, in most cases.

So whilst Richard says he did not have a survey done, what he is not saying, is that he almost certainly sighted the same relatively recent survey as we did, so will at least know what the declared situation was then.

All that said, I note the recent story of "Reginald", surveyed by one of the well known names, (not the one I'm talking about above). Presumably the survey did not predict a likely sinking, so it does throw the whole idea into some doubt, in my mind!

My insurer's do indeed let me use a previous survey. I must be honest I dont think I did see a survey prior to buying Rufford - I think I just asked the lads at Brinklow Boat Services if she was sound and they told me all the steel work was sorted in 2009 (they did the work, and I dont think they have it in them to tell porkies, they are just too nice!). So I reasoned that in theory its only a 5/6 year old boat now... I think I saw the survey for the first time when I met the owners on the August bank holiday to pick her up.

I have since seen the survey and while there is nothing to worry about (I think there was some pitting down to 4mm in some places) but I am starting to save for the new fit out / steel work I expect will need doing in 15/20 years time (plan being to totally strip out the cabin, inspect everything and go from there).

Im not a big fan of surveys, use them as a bargaining point by all means - anyone can find problems with any boat, but they will not stop a boat from sinking - problems can be missed and there are always little niggles/problems with boats even a survey will not pick up on all these. Only thing that will stop a boat from sinking is regular use and maintenance.

And I must admit that I do carry pumps to pump water out while I find the problem and get to a dry dock just in case of an emergency.

Definition of an old boat owner. Everybody thinks you're stark staring bonkers but you just don't care what they all think.

Surely this is just someone older than one is oneself!

Just like the definition of an alcoholic. Someone who drinks more than his GP

:D

MtB

And I must admit that I do carry pumps to pump water out while I find the problem and get to a dry dock just in case of an emergency.

So do I. Also I make sure I've always got some waterproof epoxy putty handy.

Somewhat worryingly, I found a length of hose sticking up from the "depths of darkness" when we briefly visited "Flamingo" a few days ago. I tugged on the end to see what it was attached to, and it proved to be a substantial mains driven submersible pump.

I would be less worried if the pump didn't look like it had been well used at some point!

Still I brought it home to "evaluate" it, so I can't be panicking too much, or I would have left it where it might be needed!

Lol, so pleased Reg is ahead of you in the queue at Brinklow, haha!

Nice wine, this...

biggrin.png

MtB

Ah yes "Reg", now I remember.

I knew there was a name painted on the pump, but it has taken you to remind me what that name is!