New job - new mooring needed. Please help!

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

I've just got a new job as Emergency Care Assistant based at Staverton, Gloucestershire so need to find a new mooring for our 70ft narrow boat. Becky works at Leicester General Hospital and for various reasons needs to keep her job there for at least the next year or so.

We are therefore looking for moorings between the two that allow liveaboard, are cat friendly, and no more than about an hours drive to Staverton or Leicester! Would ideally have liked North Stratford (M42 corridor) but have so far tried Warings Green, Swallow Cruisers, Lady Lane Wharf, Lyons Boatyard and Alvechurch Marina and all say they have no spaces and no likelihood of any coming up in the near future.

Has anyone got any other ideas? Will have to widen our search so thinking of Coventry/Birmingham Fazeley/GU heading into Birmingham so any recommendations that are near good transport routes would be welcome.

I have until beginning of February (stoppages depending) to find new mooring as have 9 weeks training first.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tom and Becky

We moor 'Red Wharf' at Kingswood Basin, Lapworth.

It is expensive, aroundabout £2700 pa but it ticks our boxes and that isn't what we're talking about here.

I was there the other week and it struck me that there were a lot of empty moorings.

Also I think there were a number of boats there on short term/winter moorings.

It's not that far from the M42 at Solihull so it might be worth giving the moorings manager (Keith Wright 07766774704) a ring to see if he can offer you anything.

Hope this helps.

SAM

ETA Thinking about it there are also some CaRT moorings on the link between the Stratford and the GU. Some of those looked vacant too. More or less the same as those in the basin but no locked gate for security or mains hook up.

Edited by Victor Vectis

I've just got a new job as Emergency Care Assistant based at Staverton, Gloucestershire so need to find a new mooring for our 70ft narrow boat. Becky works at Leicester General Hospital and for various reasons needs to keep her job there for at least the next year or so.

We are therefore looking for moorings between the two that allow liveaboard, are cat friendly, and no more than about an hours drive to Staverton or Leicester! Would ideally have liked North Stratford (M42 corridor) but have so far tried Warings Green, Swallow Cruisers, Lady Lane Wharf, Lyons Boatyard and Alvechurch Marina and all say they have no spaces and no likelihood of any coming up in the near future.

Has anyone got any other ideas? Will have to widen our search so thinking of Coventry/Birmingham Fazeley/GU heading into Birmingham so any recommendations that are near good transport routes would be welcome.

I have until beginning of February (stoppages depending) to find new mooring as have 9 weeks training first.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tom and Becky

There are still spaces at Grendon at the bottom of the Atherstone flight, off side with a locked gate but parking is tight

Thanks for those suggestions so far, that's given us a few more to try. Unfortunately Calcutt is a bit too far from Staverton and Tibberton to far from Leicester. I did look on the CRT moorings site and Tibberton was the only one that came up at 21m length.

I forgot about Kingswood basin but would have expected any vacancies to appear on the CRT site? I'll try the number given above just in case. Does anyone have the contact details for Grendon at the bottom of Atherstone? Are they CRT moorings?

Would ideally like moorings with electric but with addition of some solar panels for the summer I'm sure we could manage without as we are quite low users.

Thanks again

Tom and Becky

Sherborne Wharf? Walking distance of decent rail links, traffic dependant an hour from Gloucester and Leicester by road, Eclectic bunch of moorers, most are friendly. Last I heard, they may be relocating next year though.

Definitely cat friendly, one kept pooping on my stern mats when I was there.

I forgot about Kingswood basin but would have expected any vacancies to appear on the CRT site?

They do every now and then. There was a 'buy it now' mooring that came up earlier this year and the price was about £500 less then the reserve for auctioned ones. I wondered if someone in the office had stuffed up?

I forgot 'Diesel & Dust' was a 70 footer when I posted earlier. I think most of the moorings in the basin are for shorter boats. You might be better looking at the CaRT moorings on the link. Probably more cat friendly too, unless your puss likes trotting along a pontoon.

Oh, and I wouldn't use the 'L' word in your enquiries as officially they are not residential moorings.

Edited by Victor Vectis

There is a marina at the bottom of Lapworth flight that I can't remember the name of, but I'm sure I've seen afew vacancies there on the CRT auction site this year. I've admired it on passing a couple of times as it looks a nice place, but I would imagine cruising from there would mean doing either Lapworth or Hatton flights just to go anywhere.

Thanks for those suggestions so far, that's given us a few more to try. Unfortunately Calcutt is a bit too far from Staverton and Tibberton to far from Leicester. I did look on the CRT moorings site and Tibberton was the only one that came up at 21m length.

I forgot about Kingswood basin but would have expected any vacancies to appear on the CRT site? I'll try the number given above just in case. Does anyone have the contact details for Grendon at the bottom of Atherstone? Are they CRT moorings?

Would ideally like moorings with electric but with addition of some solar panels for the summer I'm sure we could manage without as we are quite low users.

Thanks again

Tom and Becky

yes Grendon is a CRT mooring, contact the local mooring officer Sandy Dunston 0 seven seven 47 8977 eight 4 but like i say the parking is tight

Thanks again for all your replies. Will do some ringing round tomorrow on my day off.

Wasn't going to mention liveaboard unless specifically asked about, was just going to ask about any restrictions on staying aboard. We have a land based address we can use for mail so hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

Tom & Bex

There may be a 70ft space coming up at Hockley Port just outside centre of Brum soon - we think someone has left this week. Keith Wright is the moorings manager - worth giving him a ring to sound out what might be coming up in the area. Sherborne are private and expensive but convenient. The moorings will be staying where they are (I think) even though their services will move.

Well after a day or so of diving round looking at different sites and making phone calls, I think we've narrowed it down to 3 choices. Alvecote marina, Grendon (bottom of Atherstone locks), and Rising Lane long term moorings.

We couldn't get hold of the CRT moorings managers for Grendon and Rising Lane yesterday so don't know if either of those actually have spaces yet but it looked like they did when we had a look.

Does anyone have any experience or views of those 3 moorings?

Thanks again

Tom and Bex

Well after a day or so of diving round looking at different sites and making phone calls, I think we've narrowed it down to 3 choices. Alvecote marina, Grendon (bottom of Atherstone locks), and Rising Lane long term moorings.

We couldn't get hold of the CRT moorings managers for Grendon and Rising Lane yesterday so don't know if either of those actually have spaces yet but it looked like they did when we had a look.

Thanks again

Tom and Bex

I don't have first hand knowledge of mooring at Alvecote but i hve known a couple of boats that do moor there and they were positive about the place.

A possible alternative is Springwood Haven Marina on the Coventry just a few miles above Alverstone locks. I don't know how the road links are but it is in a nice peaceful location and can't be too far from the M6 as Nuneaton is not far away.

We moor at Alvecote, this is a cut and paste of my comments from a previous thread:

Yes I do moor at Alvecote but have only been there for 6 months so haven't experienced a winter yet. Up to now we are very happy there and have no intention of moving. The key issue for us was the time to get from home to the marina as we don't live aboard (yet) but are very regular boaters, and Alvecote fitted the bill being less than half an hour. Also there are a number of options for weekend boating for us which are relatively lock free.

I don't find the marina grim at all, far from it. There are plenty of facilities on site (not least the pub), the boatyard is just over the cut with Lawrence and Nick providing a great service for pretty much anything that wants doing. The dry dock at Grendon is also available and less than an hours boating away. The folks who moor on site are very friendly and happy to help if you're in bother or need help.

As far as Malcolm is concerned, I have heard one or two comment that he is a bit of a character, but I've got to speak as I find and say he's always been fine with me. Yes he can come across as a little brusque on a bad day, but then can't we all if we are under pressure. I try not to judge as one never knows what problems someone may be having at the time.

For my part I can recommend it to you and would be happy to show you 'round if you are seriously considering it. Good luck finding somewhere that suits

Forum member Woodstock also moors there, so may be able to add their view. If you have any specific questions please ask, or if you fancy a visit just let me know

• 1 month later...