Best marina youve stayed on on the system?

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

I have been sat thinking about this for a while. I really am not fond of marinas, they are places I stay when I need to.

My little cruiser has very basic facilities and an overnight in a marina is sometimes needed (especially with the state of repair of CRT showers) It's something I prefer to avoid.

I would agree with TDH about Mercia, Barton has excellent facilities, Sawley but that isn't big, it's humungus but again not bad.

I liked Anderton the best although it is small and has a slightly worn look but has the comfortable feel of a well worn pair of slippers......yes I think that was my favourite

As you might have gathered I feel more at home in a small, older style boatyard with idiosyncratic ways complete with the delightful, interesting people that seem to inhabit them

Fazeley Mill - have used this from time to on a short term basis to split up cruises. Always friendly and helpfull, mooring rates very reasonable and cheap diesel. Also very secure for both boat and car - left the car here while we cruised to Llangollen, and had a problem finding it when we got back, the birds had camouflaged it for us!

£250 non returnable registration fee!!! they must be havin' a laugh

No not having a laugh - they didn't require that a couple of years ago. Are you sure its not just used as a deposit against monthly/annual payment?

Mercia Marina at Willington on the T&M.

Big but very well run and in a great location.

Not a marina but the Saltisford Arm is a most excellent pit stop on a long cruise. We spent a week there one summer.

Both of these have been great places to stay for a week or so. Also Northwich marina on the Weaver. Management and environment is so much more important than all singing all dancing facilities for me!

Our home mooring is the top basin at Stourport-on-Severn. We love this mooring and this is echoed by many temporary moorers. Most of them seem to enjoy the fact that the moorings are so centrally located with shops, pubs and eateries within walking distance. Also, you can get public transport to Brum and Worcester should you need to.

Col

£250 non returnable registration fee!!! they must be havin' a laugh

It's £400 at Calcutt!

Offset by cheaper prices per foot than the local competition. I think they do it to encourage people to stay.

Perfectly good marina though, if you like that sort of thing :)

MtB

Not a marina but the Saltisford Arm is a most excellent pit stop on a long cruise. We spent a week there one summer.

I went there on my first trip out. My goodness, there was hardly an inch to spare. Would have been nice to have lingered, but it it was full, so, turned around at the end and came straight out. Did a doughnut in the wide area outside and went back to the Cape.

Mercia is a pretty good marina. It has a village atmosphere and they have recently installed a barrier at the already electric gates. This little addition is to stop cars tailgating their way into the marina behind moorers who enter in cars.

That clearly refers to the long term table and not to the visitor moorings which are below.

I realise that....but I still think they're having a laugh!! non returnable £250 for the pleasure of signing up to pay them mooring fees....no chance

in my book that's a total rip off. If someone wants to charge a refundable deposit against keeping to the rules etc...fair enough but to pay that just for the pleasure of them charging you rental.........On your bike!!!

Aqueduct Marina, where I bought the boat from, was nice, they've got a fantastic restaurant with some of the best food I've ever eaten, however that wasn't the sort of thing I'd be using on a regular basis and it was expensive. Currently I'm at Brinklow and although there's not a great deal there in the way of facilities, it's very quiet, peaceful and friendly, the on-site boat engineer is good and charges a very reasonable hourly rate, the mooring fees are reasonable, I've not got a lot I can compare it to but it suits me for now.