Stoke - on - Trent Moorings

Pete & Helen

Featured Posts

Moor at Great Haywood, then moor just before Harecastle Tunnel at the lakeside.

Coming the other way, I would moor up the macc before doing the tunnel in the morning, then moor at Stone or beyond.

Stoke is one of the few places I would hesitate to moor at, especially if i was leaving the boat.

Moor at Great Haywood, then moor just before Harecastle Tunnel at the lakeside.

Coming the other way, I would moor up the macc before doing the tunnel in the morning, then moor at Stone or beyond.

Stoke is one of the few places I would hesitate to moor at, especially if i was leaving the boat.

What's wrong with Barlaston? A very good mooring, to break an otherwise long trip. Has the advantage of the Wedgewood factory tour just across the cut.

I've just come through Stoke and it certainly isn't somewhere I'd want to spend the night.

My last stop (going north) was just passed Trentham where the Wedgwood factory overlooks the canal. There is a wide curve just after a bridge and there are rings for about 4 boats.

Once past Trentham Lock I wouldn't stop anywhere until you get to the big lake park thing mentioned by Matty. It looked really nice as I went past. I made my next overnight stop at Red Bull in the pound above the pub pound.

I stopped for lunch outside the pub/marina the KU mentions above, festival park I think it's called. There were no other boats around and whilst I have heard people say it is safe there, I don't think I'd have stopped overnight there unless there was plenty of other boats.

Edited by junior

I agree, if heading south it is better to moor about one mile up the Macc canal. Avoid mooring at the northern portal of the tunnel. The southern portal is OK. Westport Lake is good for up to 48 hours similarly the industrial museum at the end of the Caldon is OK for 48 hours. Continuing south mooring is not recommended until Trentham or Barlaston. If you decide to venture up the Caldon good mooring either below or above Engine Lock (lock number 4), after that mooring I'd good anywhere along the Caldon.

What's wrong with Barlaston? A very good mooring, to break an otherwise long trip. Has the advantage of the Wedgewood factory tour just across the cut.

Long trip?, sorry, I forget people don't cruise like me.

Great Haywood to the Westport Lake is a very easy days cruise, I do know there are good stops before Stoke, however,that is a very short day.

Stoke can be unpredictable of the DeanS - Manchester proportions.

Have stopped overnight at Etruria,but in the company of several other boats. Not recommended if it can be avoided. Do not leave the boat unattended at the north end of Harecastle,even in daylight. Barlaston,by the Wedgewood factory is fine.

You can moor outside the Marina & China Gardens Pub fairly safely. The food there is a bit plastic sometimes but not too bad. While there you can visit Dave & Ange who are moored in the Marina at the moment.

Yup we're moored in Festival Park marina and will happily share a beer or just a chat with passing boaters smile.png

Westport lake is a lovely place to moor - we've had an outing there. I wouldn't hesitate to moor next to China Gardens (which is now branded Toby Carvery), a few of our friends and family have stopped there overnight to visit us and had no problems. Last summer we moored for a week In January we moored for a fortnight (memory fail - checked diary to confirm and found I was way out!) at Etruria and had no trouble at all - I'm convinced sometimes it's down to luck rather than location, people have been set adrift in Braunston but I don't hear cries of that being declared a no go area because of isolated incidents.

We winter moored at Barlaston last year and it's a lovely place to stop (can't wait to get back there when this year's winter mooring starts). I wouldn't bother with the Plume of Feathers if you do stop there - it's worth a walk to the Duke of York - if you like steaks you'll be in heaven but it's worth booking cos it's very popular.

Edited by Ange

Long trip?, sorry, I forget people don't cruise like me.

Great Haywood to the Westport Lake is a very easy days cruise, I do know there are good stops before Stoke, however,that is a very short day.

Just got signal again!

Great Haywood to Westport is 22 miles and 18 locks. If that's an easy days cruise for you on the busy 4 counties, you're keeping up with the hire boaters doing the ring in a week.

We have done that trip in the past, but like to cruise it a little more leisurely.

Have stopped overnight at Etruria,but in the company of several other boats. Not recommended if it can be avoided. Do not leave the boat unattended at the north end of Harecastle,even in daylight. Barlaston,by the Wedgewood factory is fine.

The only place I have seen an official BW notice saying they are not responsible for damage.

George ex nb Alton retired

Just got signal again!

Great Haywood to Westport is 22 miles and 18 locks. If that's an easy days cruise for you on the busy 4 counties, you're keeping up with the hire boaters doing the ring in a week.

We have done that trip in the past, but like to cruise it a little more leisurely.

Anywhere between Gt Haywood and Wedgwood is safe. After Wedgwood my next stop of choice is south tunnel mouth but many others stop at China gardens and Westport Lake without incident.

Lots of boats moored at Etruria just up the Caldon when we were there a couple of weeks back. We also moored below Trentham, one night where Junior moored and one night the other side of the bridge. Met an elderly couple who moored on rings a bit further up in Trentham with no problem

We have stopped overnight at the Festival park twice over the summer as my children like to go to Waterworld, we have had no trouble either time. Barlaston is fine as is the mooring near the Wedgewood factory. We also had an afternoon stop at Trentham to look round the gardens without any problem. Westport lake is fine if you miss the tunnel or if you go through either below the first lock at Kidsgrove at least, or if going up the Macc, just past the aquaduct over the T&M is fine. Visit the Blue Bell near the top lock, great beer

Edited by captain birdseye

• 5 months later...

Can't answer your question but I'd agree that the area immediately to the north of Harecastle does have a bad 'rep'.

We've moored in Kidsgrove, only a little way further north from there, a number of times though.

Just below the first lock on the T&M there are good moorings between there and the next lock and up on the Macc there are more good moorings between the canal and road aqueducts.

Both are handy for the Blue Bell, perhaps one of the nicest canalside pubs, IMHO.

we have moored at Eturia, between the top lock and Marina quite a few times (5-6) and have never had any problems. Push bikes do pass along this stretch of the cut rather quickly at times. we are planning to moor here again in August on our travels. May consider West port lake but dislike the goose dropping in that area!

Can't answer your question but I'd agree that the area immediately to the north of Harecastle does have a bad 'rep'.

We've moored in Kidsgrove, only a little way further north from there, a number of times though.

Just below the first lock on the T&M there are good moorings between there and the next lock and up on the Macc there are more good moorings between the canal and road aqueducts.

Both are handy for the Blue Bell, perhaps one of the nicest canalside pubs, IMHO.

At the north entrance to Harecastle tunnel is the only official BW notice I have ever seen saying they do not accept any responsibility for damage occurring to boats left overnight.

By all means, tie up at Red Bull T & M or Macc. I tied up once at the north entrance overnight, never again!

We have moored at the following several times over the years with no problem

Macc, Red bull aqueduct

T&M, Barlaston br 104, China gardens (outside pub) Westport lakes.

Caldon, Etruria out side museun (right by junction)

We have passed though Stoke many times an have never felt the least threatened.

T C