Never seen a windlass like this

Ray T

Featured Posts

What about a handle for an extending table?

Here is one type:

I think, (like many clock winders), they normally have what is effectively a long socket, as the square they go onto is usually down a recessed hole.

The thing on the ebay advert can really only act on a squared off lump that projects from something - which you would be unlikely to have on an extending table, I think.

This is also whu I think it can't be a winder for many types of large clocks - usually again you eed something that "pokes down a hole" (to use a technical phrase!).

This, (which didn't sell, it seems), claimed to be a "Banjo Crank Folding", (whatever one of those is!), but again the seller probably didn't actually know what they had!. It looks like it might serve the same purpose as Ray's mystery object?

$_57.JPG

It does indeed. So, whatever it is, there are several varieties of them

Richard

MORE: Each time I look at these folding crank handles I imagine a white gloved butler taking it out of his pocket to do something

And it is something that only goes one way

Edited by RLWP

• 1 month later...

Almost as good as Jade Goody's comment about being made an 'escape goat' !

MtB

But a 'scape goat is an escape goat. It is a goat that is allowd to escape taking the blame for some malfeasance IIRC. I must Google it.

But a 'scape goat is an escape goat. It is a goat that is allowd to escape taking the blame for some malfeasance IIRC. I must Google it.

From worldwidewords.org:

the proverbial scapegoat, originally the animal sent into the wilderness after the Jewish chief priest had symbolically laid the sins of the people upon it.

Haven't tracked down the etymology of it, so don't know if there's a link to "escape".

Eta: apparently it's the fault of William Tyndale in 1530 who chose "scapegoat" to translate the Latin "caper emissarius", the goat that leaves. Singularly inapposite it seems to me as the poor beast was driven out into the desert to die.

Sorry, that's totally off topic. I'll get back in my box now.

Edited by BruceinSanity

It might be intended for a maintenance/upkeep action, to turn a device (maybe a big coffee grinder smile.png that's normally powered.

That would explain the otherwise strange choice of the compact and relatively flimsy construction for an object with a relatively large lever arm.

Edited by Gordias