Never seen a windlass like this

Ray T

Featured Posts

Another obvious one

The winding arbours would have to protrude so far out of the dial for the key to locate they would foul the hands.

On a turret clock of which I have seen literally hundreds in my 40 years in the trade, a bending key would be dangerous

Bored with this now.........just admit you had no idea what it was !

As long as you admit that you have no idea either! I made a suggestion as to what it might be based on my forty years experience, note, a suggestion, nothing certain. You are insisting for totally spurious reasons that it couldn't possibly be although there is one post from somebody who remembers using a holding crank.

I'm honestly not trying to twist anything, perhaps you've been unclear and/or I've misinterpreted. I enjoy reading your posts BTW and certainly not looking for a squabble so I'll leave this thread to itself now.

cheers.gif

Boathunter, I've got man flu (aka a bit of a cold) which is making me a bit tetchy!

With items like this, with no makers mark or anything else to identify its purpose, all we can do is speculate. I made the suggestion that it was a clock winder (note the ? after my suggestion) you suggested a coffee grinder handle and supplied an illustration to back up your claim. So on evidence your suggestion is more likely than mine, but there is no reason why it should not be for something else entirely and not suggested anywhere in this thread.

I suggest that although I can't prove that it was a clock winder, nobody else can prove that it wasn't.

It's all getting a bit pointless with some people turning the whole thread into a cock duelling contest rather than a quest for truth, so I think I'll leave it too.

• 3 weeks later...

Believe to be a Turkish pepper mill handle. Saw one today very

similar Have photo but can't be ar technically challenged

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/uploads/gallery/album_1229/gallery_19371_1229_19128.jpg

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/uploads/gallery/album_1229/gallery_19371_1229_35187.jpg