Dodgy Welding

Pennie

Featured Posts

That looks like a good 'un, and also in Pennie's geographical area. It's a bit shorter than she wants but, like many smaller Springers, the lack of a front well deck means that the interior space is well used.

One drawback is that the only place to sit is also the bed, but it looks as if there could be space for a free-standing chair in front of the stove.

Very strange as I thought I'd posted an apolloduck link to ALL the Springers listed!

I'll try again:

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/search.phtml?search=springer&exact=1&sr=1&q=1#result

:)

MtB

The 'problem' with boats in the 30 foot range is that they generally do not have a fixed bed - they have a 'put-up' bed.

This is not a huge issue for a weekend / holiday boat but as a liveaboard (even a 2 or 3 week holiday) it does become a 'of a chore'. every night getting the bed out, making the bed, and then in the morning puting all the bedding away and putting the bed away - it sounds such a minor thing, but it really does start to irritate after a while.

If there are two people aboard, it means that you both go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time - no chance of one of you going to bed whilst the other stops up and watches TV

• Greenie 1

A good weld should be smooth like butter and must penetrate the full thickness of the steel, heat generated to melt both the filler (stick or wire) and the plate to form a smooth joint. Chicken shit weld is where no penetration is seen and blobs of filler are seen on the surface. Vertical welds should be stiched from side to side. The easist Argon ark mig weld uses the gas as a flux to guard and help electrons heat and flow metal. Thus it cannot be used outside because the gas can be blown away. . Idealy the steel should be ground back to form a vee for the filler to flow into and melt with the steel but this is a lot of work.

Not negative at all, I appreciate all forms of advice. Its all stuff I have considered. I know my budget is very low despite saving for the last 4 years. Coming to realise that another year down the line I will have a much better budget and much wider choice of options just hope I don't go more insane inside bricks and mortar lol

My advice, spend the next 12 months saving and looking at and learning as much as you can about boats. Another year, a few more grand and some more experience could save you a heap of heartache and hassle.

Oops....

Now corrected in my posting.

I agree with that "Pennie" could really do to get some others involved in looking at candidate boats before committing to a full survey.

Lots of alarm bells here, if the advert is actually correct.....

1) Unknown builder

2) Use of a BMC 1.5 in a boat claimed to be just 6 years old - nothing intrinsically wrong with that, but looks like bid to do things cheaply. What is the history of this engine, and was it a properly reconditioned unit?

3) Raw water cooling - another implied attempt to do things cheaply - search out the experiences of forum members Fade to Scarlet and Black Ibis with a raw water cooled BMC 1.5, (which had to be converted to a skin tank to overcome the issues).

4) 2008 boat, but new anodes in 2010. If it really needed new anodes after 2 years, and has now gone twice that long without a docking, might it not already need some more?

5) Electrolux RM 4400 Fridge described at 12v /240 v, but is almost certainly a "3-way" model that could not realistically run on either whilst cruising, and is hence useless unless also connected for LPG operation.

You may be aware of all this, of course, and have had satisfactory answers on those points before committing to a survey, but if not, they are all the kind of thing that can easily be worked out by someone just from the details, without even seeing the boat.

One more thing would be on my mind - if this is a "DIY" boat, to the extent that even the steelwork is DIY, does it come with all the correct paperwork for the RCD, (Recreational Craft Directive)? I'm no expert on the RCD, (I've never owned a boat new enough!), but a boat this new should be fully compliant.

Very very good point.

No RCD may mean that should you need to sell, nobody will buy, unless you very very expensively create the RCD paperwork.

In short, if no RCD walk away very quickly.

(RCD = Thick paperwork file, covering all aspects of the build and equipment)

Bod

[quote name="Athy" post="1387757" timestamp="1409725802"

In your price range, it is worth looking at Springers. They are a very mixed bag and condition ranges from lovingly maintained to ohcorblimey. Apollo Duck lists a 36-footer for sale near you (Long Eaton - probably Sawley marina judging by the photo) at £16,000. The advert does not give copious details (only one photo for example) but there is a landline contact number if you want to ask questions. Worth a look - it may be a nail or it may be a gem.

I'm pretty certain that this is my old Springer. When I had it it was called Asphodel. I obviously can't vouch for its present condition, but if anyone is interested I've got pictures of it being built at the Springer works in 1987.

Eta. Sorry I've mucked up the quotation. Having accidentally erased a square bracket, I can't replace it since my tablet doesn't have one. Grrr.

Edited by koukouvagia

A good weld should be smooth like butter and must penetrate the full thickness of the steel, heat generated to melt both the filler (stick or wire) and the plate to form a smooth joint. Chicken shit weld is where no penetration is seen and blobs of filler are seen on the surface. Vertical welds should be stiched from side to side. The easist Argon ark mig weld uses the gas as a flux to guard and help electrons heat and flow metal. Thus it cannot be used outside because the gas can be blown away. . Idealy the steel should be ground back to form a vee for the filler to flow into and melt with the steel but this is a lot of work.

Sort of.

Even pretty looking welds can be useless.

Its impossible to condense how to weld correctly into one paragraph, I spent an extra 3 years as a mature student gaining my diploma in welding and fabrication on top of my original apprenticeship.

If you are not sure of how a boat should be constructed or what an iffy weld looks like, ensure you get a good survey carried out.

Thankfully this is the course the op took.

This reminds me of a boat recently for sale locally. It looked ok to the untrained eye.

A string of potential buyers had surveys done by a string of surveyors until following verbal abuse from the owner towards the surveyors for 'dissing' his boat most refused to attend.

Eventually it was sold to a couple who had:

1) Never been on a boat before

2) Didn't have a survey done

3) Set off towards the Calder and Heb without.......

a) Anchor

B) Handspike

c) Handcuff key

d) Windlass

I wonder if it is still floating?

Edited by RichardH

My first boat was a an ex share boat with high canal miles generally in good condition but a bit basic inside it was a good buy and relatively cheap so maybe you could look at these. Also my friend Arnold sold his Springer last year which he bought new and had never been plated and it wasnt expensive. Good luck in your search I am sure you will find a boat that suits you captain.gif

Peter

Very very good point.

No RCD may mean that should you need to sell, nobody will buy, unless you very very expensively create the RCD paperwork.

In short, if no RCD walk away very quickly.

(RCD = Thick paperwork file, covering all aspects of the build and equipment)

Bod

And perversely, AIUI, the RCD does not cover the physical integrity of the hull or the quality of the welding...

MtB

The springer in long eaton isn't quite what I'm looking for, if it had a fixed bed it might be more my thing, but the chore of putting the bed up and down all the time sounds like poop.

I think I'm going to take your advice of saving for another year, get another couple of my uni modules done without having to worry too much about boats (but keeping an eye out for a gem)

Thank you everyone, I'm very grateful

The 'problem' with boats in the 30 foot range is that they generally do not have a fixed bed - they have a 'put-up' bed.

This is not a huge issue for a weekend / holiday boat but as a liveaboard (even a 2 or 3 week holiday) it does become a 'of a chore'. every night getting the bed out, making the bed, and then in the morning puting all the bedding away and putting the bed away - it sounds such a minor thing, but it really does start to irritate after a while.

If there are two people aboard, it means that you both go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time - no chance of one of you going to bed whilst the other stops up and watches TV

Ah. We must have been doing it wrong for six years on our 23fter tongue.png

As well as the Duck, keep an eye on Ebay. ISTR Starcoaster got her Springer from there at a good price.

Some that caught my eye around Pennie's price bracket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrow-Boat-for-Sale-/271594459121

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55ft-Cruiser-style-Narrow-Boat-/281428691801

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canal-Narrow-Boat-/251632845734

As well as the Duck, keep an eye on Ebay. ISTR Starcoaster got her Springer from there at a good price.

Some that caught my eye around Pennie's price bracket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrow-Boat-for-Sale-/271594459121

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55ft-Cruiser-style-Narrow-Boat-/281428691801

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canal-Narrow-Boat-/251632845734

Monet is lovely but 50ft may be a bit too long for me and Jennie is a sweetie too :-) Thank you

Gosh- just seen a 40ft 36year old springer on FB for £35K- doesn't give the location

https://www.facebook.com/groups/narrowboatsforsaleuk/?fref=nf

Group may be a closed one- so you may not be able to open the link

I have passed a springer with a sign in its window saying 35k in the last week so there is one on the GU or Nen up for the same money.