Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The crew of "Chalice" are self-confessed "softies" used mostly to the easy canals of the South. That is all about to change again, as we head further North.

We are currently heading up the Bridgewater towards Barton Swing Aqueduct, and I would expect to arrive in Wigan by this evening, (assuming a "technical problem" that started occurring last evening doesn't come back).

From Wigan we plan to head East over the L&L, through Blackburn, Burnley, Skipton and Leeds, but have no experience at all of this canal. So this thread is to ask advice of those who have.

First question, I guess, is that as Wigan marks the start of (from memory), a 21 lock flight, we are not going to be going any further than there today. So what is the moorings situation in Wigan please? I think there are two locks before the junction, called Poolstock, I think, but again from memory). Do we go through those, or are we better off looking for moorings before them?

No doubt we will be asking lots more as we progress, but any general advice now on the journey out to Leeds would be appreciated. For a start, what are those 21 locks at Wigan like, and anything special to be aware of, please?

and anything special to be aware of, please?

Keep an eye on the stoppages for up here. The Wigan flight has just re-opened (again) after being closed (again) due to paddles being left open overnight.

As for general advice - apart from the stunning beauty of parts of it you will find much of what your are well used to on a wide canal. Some of the ground paddles are a bit unusual in that you don't wind them up but lift them, they are best tackled with a sharp and firm pull up wards and then 'walk' them back pushing them open.

Don't miss stopping and having a mooch in Gargrave, Skipton, Saltaire and Leeds itself. Coming down into Leeds this is generally regarded as best tackled in one go over the morning, mooring in Rodley the night before. The locks down into Leeds are locked overnight as an anti-vandal measure, and you may get the assistance of a lock keeper which can help with some of the small staircase locks.

Watch out for the natives who are in the main very friendly, some might not be coming down into Leeds but mostly people don't seem to have a problem, I would however avoid wearing the bowler as it may attract comment!

We stop at the Dover Lock inn, and pray for rain to go up the locks. But we have stopped around the bottom of the flight with no problems. Do not get into an argument with the scrots as it solves nothing. I carry sweets to throw to them. Steak and cowheel pies from Wigan market. Sarsaparilla on Blackburn market. Hot black puddings from Burnley market. Barnolswick has good cafes. Skipton springs branch for hot pork pies to die for. Visit Leeds center and market. If you have time Liverpool is well worth a visit.

Do not get into an argument with the scrots as it solves nothing. I carry sweets to throw to them. Steak and cowheel pies from Wigan market. Sarsaparilla on Blackburn market. Hot black puddings from Burnley market. Barnolswick has good cafes. Skipton springs branch for hot pork pies to die for. Visit Leeds center and market. If you have time Liverpool is well worth a visit.

Oh my life, lucky scrotes, they won't have to buy a barm cake ever again!

Oh, just realised there's a full stop in there somewhere smile.png

I recommend an early start up Wigan, unless you are content to spend the whole day on the flight.

We left Dover at 8am, and were too late - rapidly caught up with five narrow boats which were apparently working each lock individually, nobody setting ahead, and not opening gate paddles until the lock was almost full, until some of our crew gave a hand. Even so, the 21 locks took us 5 1/2 hours.

Tim

I recommend an early start up Wigan, unless you are content to spend the whole day on the flight.

We left Dover at 8am, and were too late - rapidly caught up with five narrow boats which were apparently working each lock individually, nobody setting ahead, and not opening gate paddles until the lock was almost full, until some of our crew gave a hand. Even so, the 21 locks took us 5 1/2 hours.

Tim

Depending on how short the pound is, I wouldn't always set the next lock. There are occasions when it overspills the lock you're in. The rapid release of water from the next lock can exceed the speed water is being used to raise the boat in its present lock.

Common sense is required when locking ahead on the flight. i wouldn't stay over at Poolstock personally. Dover Lock Inn for me, and get an early start from same. Watch the water levels at Poolstock, they have been dire lately, even worse than what we accept as "normal." Have a great trip on the beautiful canal.

I am sure you will have a lovely time 2 years ago we went up to Saltaire from Rotherham in our widebeam we should have gone to Skipton but this beer,music and food festival got in the way :) We had no problems mooring either way and their were 5 boats so we needed spacecaptain.gif We did have some stiff locks and bridges but some natives helped the ladies on the bridges so all was well

Peter

Alan, I would moor at Plank Lane or Dover Lock tonight and make an early start tomorrow ( but look out for peak rush hour restrictions on the bridge opening times at Plank Lane).

The Wigan flight is hard work but satisfying when you have your celebratory drink at the top.

We too will be moored at Dover Lock tonight and will be going up the Wigan fight tomorrow!

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek Porteous

Depending on how short the pound is, I wouldn't always set the next lock. There are occasions when it overspills the lock you're in. The rapid release of water from the next lock can exceed the speed water is being used to raise the boat in its present lock.

The best time to empty the lock ahead in a short pound is when the lock below is filling, it just needs to be done sensibly - keeping an eye on what's going on below.

Tim

The canal is a gem. It has a few grey spots , (near the populated bits) but in between there are many places you can pull over and get lost. Dont expect to moor within a metre of the bank...if you do, you'll have to moor on official moorings...but if you're willing to rough it a bit, you'll end up mooring watching goats on a slope opposite your boat, meanderings through huge trees, zig zagging over hilltops....make sure you have your camera ready ;-)

Dont rush it...it's a canal to be getting lost along.... you can rush the end bit to Leeds.

Alan, The ground paddles you lift rather than wind: there's often a vent or at least a wide crack in the in the stonework just where you end up after hefting the thing open. On a good day the water jet can be four or five feet high. Funny when it's not you it happens to.

If you stop at Greenberfield, you can use short boat Kennet's mooring, which is just through the road bridge before the top of the locks. It is far enough away from the lock cottage for them not to complain! I live a few minutes walk from the locks, but will be out all day on Thursday at Bradford Record Office, going through some of the 137 boxes of L&LC material which came from the canal's solicitor's office. However, at other times I should be at home, and can always pop round to the locks if you want a chat. Kennet is currently away on the Bridgewater after going on dock for inspection at Runcorn.

Having come from Liverpool we spent the night before the 21 on the mooring rings opposite the dry dock & CaRT offices. Busy with walkers and cyclists (but then so is much of this canal) but lovely and quiet at night.

All the locks are a pig compared with most narrow ones but no worse than the K&A apart from the shorter length and regrettably a fully working set of paddles is almost the exception. In my view absolutely no point in rushing the 21, you will only get tired and make mistakes. We stopped for lunch in the pound advised in Nicks but got chased on by CaRT. I think it only took us about 7 hours but that was with the single hander CaRT chased us to accompany up the flight. This meant that with my knee there was no hope of setting locks ahead and the odd one was leaking badly. (No complaints about the single hander who clambered about and did his share - also apparently on pain killers.)

Blackburn was dire in my view and best passed early in the day much litter and evidence of alcohol abuse around some of the locks.

Morrisons by the canal in Colne but their moorings padlocked up. Felt it safer to guard the boat while Jen went shopping, also had to hold the boat, no rings and banks shallow.

The Shroppie has nothing on this canal when attempting to moor out in the sticks, even some piled banks have great bolders underwater stopping you getting into the side.

Once up Barrowfield locks things feel far safer but mooring difficult in most country places all the way (not got beyond Rodley yet).

Barnoldswick worth a visit probably easiest to moor at Bridge 154A and walk or bus into town. Mooring rings at Coat Wharf just south of the bridge.

Water point at Gargrave is marked as U/S but CaRT fail to mark the tap on the outside off the sanitary station.

Silsden boats have notice about not selling diesel so top up at Skipton.

Water point at Riddleston U/S, no apparent alternative. Moor a bit further on from the marked visitor mooring close to Puffer Parts and walk to East RIddleston Hall (NT) and bus to Keighley. Try to be there on a Saturday or Sunday for the open top bus Bronte tour (with commentary). (£2 all day for magic bus pass holders and not much much more full fare - hop on and off all day.

Once east of Skipton several yards that our Nicks list a supplying diesel and pump out appear now closed or you need to actually ask. Rodley Boat Centre only supply in 20 litre drums so maybe Apperley Bridge marina (closed Tues & Thurs) is a better bet.

If you have the magic pass it is also worth looking up the special "Sunday & bank holiday" bus services in the Gargrave area, well worth a visit to Malham for a walk to the Tarn and if you are energetic on up to the limestone pavement.

At 54ft I am not very happy going uphill in the locks, especially the staircases where ground paddles are U/S. Despite the baffles it looks as if it would be too easy to flood the well deck (another reason for 7 hours up the 21).

Despite what I say a very well worthwhile canal but if I come North again it may be via the Huddersfield Narrow!

That's a great suggestion from Pluto...Greenberfield is a lovely mooring spot. I love the locks! Three locks and three different types of ground paddle! Very close together too, so easy to lockwheel ahead.

You can see Kennet on her mooring in the background here...

6135248391_3e51fbf852.jpg

Please let me know when you're coming through Burnley...I'd love to pop up and say hello if I could.

It would be well worth mooring overnight at the top lock of the Johnson's Hillock flight if you're not in any hurry...good, safe moorings, facilities and a very friendly group of boaters and a rather good pub with decent ale and good food.

Blackburn and Burnley are the main grotspots along your route, but nowhere near as bad as folk may tell you...they are no better or worse than any other urban location and you are through them very quickly. Many of the old canal side warehouses and buildings have been/are being renovated at the moment and it's getting better all the time. It's looking very good ready for the Canal Festival later this year.

The Inn on the Wharf is a good safe mooring spot if you do want to stop overnight in Burnley.

If you moor for a while on the embankment (or the Mile Cut as it's known locally) then if you go down the steps you have a massive Tesco for any essentials. As you go through Nelson, you'll find a Morrison's on your right hand side with moorings right outside. IIRC you need your BW key to get through the gate. It's offside and very secure.

We've "done" most of the L&L several times and I used to do handovers for Canal Boat Escapes based at Lower Park Marina so if you have any questions, please ask.

You are SO lucky to be doing this trip...the L&L is my favourite canal...just wait until you get to Greenberfield and thence on to Gargrave and Skipton...then you'll know why we try and keep quiet about it! It simply is the most glorious canal.

Janet

• Greenie 1

Morrisons by the canal in Colne but their moorings padlocked up. Felt it safer to guard the boat while Jen went shopping, also had to hold the boat, no rings and banks shallow.

Do you mean Morrison's at Nelson? The L&L doesn't go through Colne. Well, it sort of does, but it's a long walk!

If you meant Nelson Morrison's which is canalside, then you simply need a BW key to open the padlock. The moorings are offside and very safe and we had no trouble with depth and there were mooring rings. We felt it quite safe to leave the boat whilst we did our shopping and we've done so on several occasions with absolutely no problems apart from needing our ballast checking due to the vast quantities of wine they had on offer!

The L&L can be shallow in many places, particularly if you want to moor out in the wilds, but it's just a matter of nudging in and checking the depth then moving on a little bit until you find somewhere you can fit. Well worth the effort for some of the places you'll find!

Now shush.....we don't want everyone to know about it!

Janet

!

I take it you didn't think to try your CRT key? Last time we moored there (which admittedly is a while ago now) ours operated the lock on that gate no problem, or things may have changed of course.

It lets you direct into Morrison's car park.

Ed. Cross post with Janet.

Edited by The Dog House

At 54ft I am not very happy going uphill in the locks, especially the staircases where ground paddles are U/S. Despite the baffles it looks as if it would be too easy to flood the well deck (another reason for 7 hours up the 21).

You should try it in a 60ft-er. When we first travelled the L&L, in '06 the locks leaked so badly that after nearly every set we had to pump the engine bay out. CAth got soaked standing on the back as well. But it's all worth it, we love it!

Bob

Just past bridge 134 ( Barden Lane ) is Reedley marina, there is a bar, food, diesel, pump out etc and a really good indian called the Shapla- if you like these.

Its also only a few miles from Barrowford bottom lock.

Reedley is a nice safe place to moor as well.

Have a good trip.