Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The frontage to the warehouse at Eanam could be padlocked off to prevent access. It did make it a safer place to moor. I am not sure of how things stand at the moment as I am more interested in the canal's history. smile.png

That's correct for some reason the length of 'towpath' under the canopy at Eanam Wharf (Blackburn) is locked. I think from 7PM until the following morning.

it was even locked on the Friday of the blackburn Canal festival a few weeks ago. I know one of the organisers tried to negotiate with the security guard who locked the gates, but it was "more than his jobs worth" not to lock it..

I think one end might be a handcuff lock, but the other end is chained and padlocked. I know the council youth service boat 'Bill Hunt' is moored there, so maybe its for the security of that ? - doesn't seem to be any point otherwise.

we've moored several times outside the 'locked' bit and never had any problem ...

Edited by jonathanA

The frontage to the warehouse at Eanam could be padlocked off to prevent access. It did make it a safer place to moor. I am not sure of how things stand at the moment as I am more interested in the canal's history. smile.png

Ah, I see.

Just one relatively short bit then - that makes more sense.

FURTHER QUESTION.

Tunnels

The guide says that Foulridge is controlled by traffic lights. Is that still correct, and can someone please advise what the longest you might wait is if you just missed being allowed in.

Also, how does Gannow work, please? Is it simply a "check and enter if clear", or does it also have any kind of timed operation?

Thanks.

Blog update status - defcon fail..........

Ah but you should see the views, and the sunset, and the dog walking is magnificent!

(Also, much less romantically, the bloody switch that works the shower pump broke.....)

Will try harder tomorrow, (or the day after, or the day after that.............)

FURTHER QUESTION.

Tunnels

The guide says that Foulridge is controlled by traffic lights. Is that still correct, and can someone please advise what the longest you might wait is if you just missed being allowed in.

Also, how does Gannow work, please? Is it simply a "check and enter if clear", or does it also have any kind of timed operation?

Thanks.

Foulridge is indeed light controlled, I think the longest we have waited is 30 minutes. It's a very easy tunnel though.

FURTHER QUESTION.

Tunnels

We just missed the green light, apparently, and had to wait. A passing walker said "they were green a minute ago". I think it was about a 50 minute wait. Again, if I remember correctly, the lights turned to green at half past the hour.

There was no notice that we could see saying what the procedure was so we moored, turned the engine off and waited for the lights (there are two of 'em) to change.

Edited by Victor Vectis

FURTHER QUESTION.

Tunnels

Thanks.

Ah but you should see the views, and the sunset, and the dog walking is magnificent!

(Also, much less romantically, the bloody switch that works the shower pump broke.....)

Will try harder tomorrow, (or the day after, or the day after that.............)

Yes Gannow is a "check and enter if clear " tunnel.

There was no notice that we could see saying what the procedure was so we moored, turned the engine off and waited for the lights (there are two of 'em) to change.

There is a notice posted at the side of each portal about instructions for the tunnel (you can see them in this pic. taken whilst we waited) and I seem to recall they specify timings and that you wait for the lights to turn green, but regardless I guess CRT reckon most if not all people understand red means stop and wait.

It may go without saying but it is also still worth checking before you enter that a boat is not still coming the other way as it is not unknown for one to take longer than the allotted time to make their passage if for example they have had a mechanical problem or they are just very nervous and have gone very very slowly. I have heard it said too that some boaters are not afraid to 'jump' the lights.

It has happened to us once where the lights have gone green but there has been a boat still making it's way through, it was a CRT work boat as it happens

4D30Ir2.jpg

Once you are through Alan you are getting towards the very scenic bits of the L&L - enjoy!

Edited by The Dog House

Once you get through the tunnel you are only a short way from Lower Park Marina at Barnoldswick, if you need any bits to fix it they may be able to help.

you get 10 minutes on green plus 20 minutes to travel in each hour from each end. one end is o'clock to 10 past on green. and the other is half past to 20 to the hour on green... I can't remember which end is on the hour and which is on the half

therefore the longest you should have to wait is 50 minutes. Its not unusual for one end to stick usually on red...

approaching Gannow towards burnley, you have to get right up to the entrance to see through as the canal bends up to the portal, so be prepared to beat a hasty retreat if a tunnel light is approaching....

Thanks for all the tunnel info folks.

When we came up through the timed tunnel at Preston brook on the T&M, you can see very clearly through it with no ambiguities.

A boat coming the other way very clearly didn't enter it until some minutes after the 10 minute slot allowed for entry each hour in that direction so it is plain not everybody sticks fully to the rules.

When we came up through the timed tunnel at Preston brook on the T&M, you can see very clearly through it with no ambiguities.

A boat coming the other way very clearly didn't enter it until some minutes after the 10 minute slot allowed for entry each hour in that direction so it is plain not everybody sticks fully to the rules.

Were they out in time, though?

It generally takes 12 to 15 minutes to pass through Preston Brook, if someone knows how long they take with their boat then they might go in a minute or two late in the reasonably certain knowledge they will clear the tunnel before anyone is due to enter from the other end.

On the other hand, people do occasionally wilfully disregard the timings which can cause chaos during busy periods.

Tim

I think that those that know the tunnel do this, happened to me yesterday a boat entered the tunnel a good 5 mins afwter the time I joked with the boater as he came out to the effect "is it a different time zone the other side" he informed me he is a regular and knows it only takes him 10 mins to get through the tunnel so still plenty of time before I was due to go, he is right ofcourse I still had to wait 5 mins before I was due to go Edited by cotswoldsman

Nice to meet up with the "Southern softies" at lunchtime today, and thanks to both for taking the time out of your schedule to stop for an hour. Alan makes a cracking cup of coffee!

Lovely to see the magnificent Odin too!

Janet

Chalice just leaving the old wharf in Burnley, ready to head across the Burnley Embankment (or t'Mile Cut as it's known locally!)

14872856253_74d40a80dc_z.jpg

I'd tried to get the afternoon off to be able to help lockwheel up Barrowford Locks but no luck.

Cath seems to have picked up a bit of a tummy bug but remained cheerful. They moored just before Hapton last night, very close to one of our favourite mooring spots - I'm envious, to say the least! They had a lovely sunset and fabulous views down the valley (including my house!) and across to Pendle Hill.

I'm sure they'll manage just fine, but I'm equally sure that they wouldn't say no to a helping hand with some of the locks on their way to Skipton if there are any forum members in the vicinity!

I held off warning them about the swing bridges...

They are hoping to moor at Greenberfield overnight - as they're not too late and the weather and light are good, they should go through the locks tonight.

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Chalice just leaving the old wharf in Burnley, ready to head across the Burnley Embankment (or t'Mile Cut as it's known locally!)

14872856253_74d40a80dc_z.jpg

I'd tried to get the afternoon off to be able to help lockwheel up Barrowford Locks but no luck.

Cath seems to have picked up a bit of a tummy bug but remained cheerful. They moored just before Hapton last night, very close to one of our favourite mooring spots - I'm envious, to say the least! They had a lovely sunset and fabulous views down the valley (including my house!) and across to Pendle Hill.

I'm sure they'll manage just fine, but I'm equally sure that they wouldn't say no to a helping hand with some of the locks on their way to Skipton if there are any forum members in the vicinity!

I held off warning them about the swing bridges...

They are hoping to moor at Greenberfield overnight - as they're not too late and the weather and light are good, they should go through the locks tonight.

Janet

Love he picture - can we use it in the blog, please, (if we ever get it written!), as we seldom have a picture of the boats with all of us in.

Cath certainly has been severely out of it all day, (and all last night), and you probably saw her at about her best, to be honest.

This means I have been steering all day, (after a night emptying sick buckets!), and am knackered, (to put it mildly!).

So if anybody really is waiting for the last few days blog, it might remain behind for a bit.

I guess, apart from being concerned for Cath, my biggest concern is that neither I nor David go down with the same thing - I couldn't be doing this if I was in the state Cath currently is.

Incidentally we caught Foulridge just before 16:30, so the lights turned green within minutes - couldn't have been better.

I not that signs at Gannow says it is two way working, and I thought the boats that were approaching as we were most of the way through were coming in - they seemed to only decide to hold back when they saw how close we were to the end.

Presumably two narrow boats can pass in that one? Clearly though it is not "two way working" if one of the boats were a wide-beam, so if you are going in with something coming the other way, you need to be fairly confident it is narrow!