Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Up here and East of Skipton, you buy diesel where you can.....if it costs a bit more from hire boat firms it's for a reason....

Except it is widely admitted that some hire boat firms find the idea of selling diesel to private boaters a PITA, and hence price it high enough to discourage anyone but those needing it in a dire emergency.

I don't mind paying a fair and reasonable price, but if there are places that price to discourage casual sales, given that I will need most of a tankful, I'd rather avoid them, if they are known about.

Except it is widely admitted that some hire boat firms find the idea of selling diesel to private boaters a PITA, and hence price it high enough to discourage anyone but those needing it in a dire emergency.

I don't mind paying a fair and reasonable price, but if there are places that price to discourage casual sales, given that I will need most of a tankful, I'd rather avoid them, if they are known about.

I suppose that is my point, only a different take on it - retailers of diesel are like hen's teeth and hence the hire boat yards cash in on it I believe.

Other than hire boat yards in Skipton and Silsden coming east towards the C&H you have Apperly Bridge Marina (but check their opening times) and then Rodley Boat Services in Rodley who bring the fuel to the boat in drums. I cant think of any other, unless anybody else can.

There is then nothing for a while, even in Leeds which I have always found surprising. Supreme Marine in Castleford Cut is your next possibility, but last time I called there they had ceased stocking it after only doing so for a few months. Then heading towards the C&H on the Wakefield branch of the A&CN there is Stanley Ferry Marina. (I have been told they are not licenced to sell fuel but personally I find that hard to believe.)

The last time I was up that way was I think 1991 the year of the IWA festival at Wakefield. My cousin had gone to it solo from Stoke-on-Trent and I caught the train on the Saturday from Kings X to meet up with him there. The festival was a complete washout, rain, rain, rain, it didn't stop. Anyway I was due for a bit of a holiday as the garage was a bit quiet so I decided to help him back to Stoke where he intended to winter.

We left the festival site at Stanley ferry on the Sunday in the rain and went for it like devils as I could only spend a few days on the trip. We did long days in pouring rain and reached Stoke in seven days, overnighting at Woodlesford, Rodley, Skipton, East Marton, Hapton, whatsaname, top of the Wigan flight, 2.3/4 hours to go down the flight, on and on and arrived in Stoke one fine sunny afternoon.

My cousin had topped up with fuel at I think Doug Moores place at Barnoldswick which saw him through to Wakefield and all the way back where we topped up there again. Despite the continual rain storms the trip was splendid, splendid views that the rain seemed to enhance somehow.

All that in seven days in an old 1970's Rugby boats 40 footer with a little old Lister SR2 that was thrashed but never missed a beat.

Silsden had a notice saying "we do not sell diesel". Nicks says Boat transprort above the Bingley 5 do diesel but they did not seem to be around a couple of weeks ago. Apperley Bridge has "odd" opening hours. Closed Tues & Thurs, only open 9.30 to 15.00 or some such and one day less than that. Then Rodley as has been said but in 20 liter drums. So I suspect its Skipton or Apperley.

Strumble was up for sale recently since Richard and Karen decided to give up the boat hire business to concentrate on their young family and actually having a life! A delightful little boat.

Janet

And she sold a couple of weeks ago to a lovely couple who are enjoying the head turning effect the boat has.

We ran out of diesel the very first weekend we went out on our boat.

Because of that I get twitchy when the tank gets to half full.

We went past Apperley bridge on a Tuesday and they were closed. Supreme Marine don't sell diesel. The bloke there said Selby was the next nearest place. We weren't heading that way and filled up at Thorne when we got there.

Glad you liked Skipton. We had a lovely stay there back at the start of July, Tour de Yorkshire time.

Currently sampling the recommended Narrow Boat pub in Skipton - Nice pub, but I guess i'm surprised by pricing that is almost "Southern", (pint of Landlord, plus a large glass of white wine £8.70). That said, Skipton seems to have a lot more disposable income than many places we boat through, and certainly doesn't suffer the empty shops, betting shops and pawnbrokers syndrome that is increasingly common in many towns.

Going east from here, does anyone have any idea where best to buy diesel, or anywhere to specifically avoid, please? Many of the possibilities appear to be hire boat firms, which, further South, is often an expensive option.

Alan, you happened to choose a pint of the most expensive but more mundane beer that the NB sells. Others of better flavour and price are always available (take Mary Jane as just one example on the regular pumps). Yes, the large glasses of wine are expensive but the locals know that and don't buy that many of them.

Roger

Yes, the large glasses of wine are expensive but the locals know that and don't buy that many of them.

Yes,

But it was Cath's first venture out after being rather unwell, and that's what she wanted!

EDIT:

Filled with Diesel in Skipton, so that's one out the way. They didn't have an oil filter for a BMC 1800 amongst the many they had in stock though, so that is one still to solve......

Making good progress through swing bridges with David "bridge wheeling" ahead on the bike. Our Nicholson's says 191 (Cowling) normally left open - this doesn't appear to be the case. Interesting surface on that one, created largely by cows, I think!

Edited by alan_fincher

Alan, you happened to choose a pint of the most expensive but more mundane beer that the NB sells. Others of better flavour and price are always available (take Mary Jane as just one example on the regular pumps). Yes, the large glasses of wine are expensive but the locals know that and don't buy that many of them.

Roger

Steady on. Landlord is not 'mundane beer', though many pubs don't know how to keep it. The Wooly Sheep would be my choice for Landlord.

Yes,

But it was Cath's first venture out after being rather unwell, and that's what she wanted!

EDIT:

Filled with Diesel in Skipton, so that's one out the way. They didn't have an oil filter for a BMC 1800 amongst the many they had in stock though, so that is one still to solve......

Making good progress through swing bridges with David "bridge wheeling" ahead on the bike. Our Nicholson's says 191 (Cowling) normally left open - this doesn't appear to be the case. Interesting surface on that one, created largely by cows, I think!

Sometimes people close the 'normally left open' ones as they haven't clocked what it says in the Nicholson's guide. We closed one once that we thought had been left open by a boater, it may even have been the same bridge. It was fun getting crew onto the bridge as at the time we were first time ever narrowboaters.

That said it does sound like the farmer is using it again from your description of the surface.

Ed. - all the images I can find of it show this bridge in the closed position, it's also very near the farm buildings so given this and the state of the surface I'd be inclined to say close it. I'd be surprised if it is meant to be left open TBH despite what Nicholson's says.

Both bridges before 191 Cowling (189 Lanehouse & 190 Woodside) are meant to be left open according to Canal Plan AC so I guess Nicholson's have got themselves a tad confused.

http://canalplan.org.uk/gazetteer/4ok9

Edited by The Dog House

Steady on. Landlord is not 'mundane beer', though many pubs don't know how to keep it. The Wooly Sheep would be my choice for Landlord.

The NB can keep it OK, it's just that it is one of the more over-priced (and in my opinion, mundane) regular beers that they offer. The Woolly Sheep is a Timmy Taylors pub IIRC so they have to sell it. Sorry, but I would not walk the identical distance to the Woolly Sheep to have Landlord when I can have better beers in the NB.

Roger

Edited by Albion

The NB can keep it OK, it's just that it is one of the more over-priced (and in my opinion, mundane) regular beers that they offer. The Woolly Sheep is a Timmy Taylors pub IIRC so they have to sell it. Sorry, but I would not walk the identical distance to the Woolly Sheep to have Landlord when I can have better beers in the NB.

Roger

The Wooly Sheep (in Sheep Street) has been a TT pub for years. Before that, they sold Black Sheep.

Currently sampling the recommended Narrow Boat pub in Skipton - Nice pub, but I guess i'm surprised by pricing that is almost "Southern", (pint of Landlord, plus a large glass of white wine £8.70). That said, Skipton seems to have a lot more disposable income than many places we boat through, and certainly doesn't suffer the empty shops, betting shops and pawnbrokers syndrome that is increasingly common in many towns.

Going east from here, does anyone have any idea where best to buy diesel, or anywhere to specifically avoid, please? Many of the possibilities appear to be hire boat firms, which, further South, is often an expensive option.

Alan,

When do you plan on reaching Leeds? If it's this week and you arrive with room on your tank for fuel I may be able to help.

For this coming week I have access to a car and lots of barrels. There is a garage selling red not far from Clarence Dock where we're moored. Should be able to work something out if you like.

Bob

Alan,

When do you plan on reaching Leeds? If it's this week and you arrive with room on your tank for fuel I may be able to help.

For this coming week I have access to a car and lots of barrels. There is a garage selling red not far from Clarence Dock where we're moored. Should be able to work something out if you like.

Bob

If you have a car try this place in Bradford s its quite cheap.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.792006,-1.741438,3a,15y,162.79h,88.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLKgh0SJFg8K-9wujHzXrEg!2e0

OK Bob.

Where is this garage as I have a mooring at Clarence Dock?

Down the road, past the turning for the Morrisons, and carry straight on.

What's your boat's name?

My guess would be just up the road from the Arla facility.

A BP garage from memory......

No, not BP I don't think, but not sure of the brand.

Edited by lyraboat

Alan,

Bob

Thanks for the offer, but too late I'm afraid - see post 160...

Down the road, past the turning for the Morrisons, and carry straight on.

What's your boat's name?

No, not BP I don't think, but not sure of the brand.

Troutbridge sad.png I didn't call it that.

I'm not in my mooring at the moment but planning on coming up in a couple of weeks.

Troutbridge sad.png I didn't call it that.

I'm not in my mooring at the moment but planning on coming up in a couple of weeks.

Look forward to meeting you, that is if we're still here ourselves. The boat will be, but we're in the process of buy a house and will be moving off some time.

Bob