Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Now be prepared for the wide beam "Drum" hire boats. My son was cursing a narrow beam one of theirs gong up the locks back towards Bingley. Dad, mum, sons and they just stayed on the boat and expected my son's companion to do all the lock work until my son insisted the dad get off and close their gates. Still probably their fist time on canals and maybe did not get or did not take notice of the hire yard briefing.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Yes, sorry about the delay to the blog. I did write a couple of days, but we then have to select from the many photos that get taken every day, upload our choices, then faff around with blogger's less than intuitive formatting. We were just trying to do this yesterday evening when I started emptying my stomach. Alan is now working on adding captions. He has been wonderful, not getting much sleep last night, he has kept us on schedule.

Lovely to meet Janet and later Martin Clerk (sorry, i missed your wife's name).

I have just managed to drink nearly a whole cup of tea!

Lovely to meet Janet and later Martin Clerk (sorry, i missed your wife's name).

Cath, my dear.....

When I said it is "Clark" with an "e", that isn't quite what I meant! And, whilst his name starts with an M, it isn't Martin.

It was Mike Clarke you met this evening!

Never mind - you are ill, so we can make excuses!

BLOG:

I have tried to knock into shape the 2 days Cath had written, but not selected pictures for, before she got ill. They are now posted, (but may still have a few errors in spelling and formatting - I'm too tired now!).

We are, of course, still 2 days behind, after today, but the deficit is now halved.

Edited by alan_fincher

Just had a thought Alan. If you are heading for the Rochdale as planned you will need a 'hand spike' for the locks on the Calder and Hebble. I doubt you will have one already as their use is pretty unique to the C&H. I cant see anybody has mentioned this so far, though I believe the Nicholson's guide for the C&H mentions it.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm

Edited by The Dog House

Hey Alan & Cath

I've been dipping in and out of the forum over the last week and only just caught up with this thread. Thank you for bringing back so many memories - the L&L was our first experience as liveaboards and was particularly special because we were taking Iona home - she was build in Barnoldswick which you'll have passed by now.

I'm deeply envious and am now itching to get back up north, even though that's not going to be possible for some time due to spending copious amounts of money on international travel!

I'll be following this thread with interest - you're passing through much loved territories, though we only made it as far as Skipton. From there you'll be doing stuff that's still on our wish list.

Have fun and when an old boy with a flat cap and a whippet on a lead says something to you from the towpath don't even bother to say "pardon". After three "pardons" you just nod and smile and hope that's the right reaction :D

Just had a thought Alan. If you are heading for the Rochdale as planned you will need a 'hand spike' for the locks on the Calder and Hebble. I doubt you will have one already as their use is pretty unique to the C&H. I cant see anybody has mentioned this so far, though I believe the Nicholson's guide for the C&H mentions it.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm

edit !

Edited by 8 Hairy Feet

Thank you for bringing back so many memories - the L&L was our first experience as liveaboards and was particularly special because we were taking Iona home - she was build in Barnoldswick which you'll have passed by now.

I was certainly aware Iona carries "Johnson's Hillock" as a home location, but didn't realise she was built up this way!

Not sure how well we have done with photos yesterday with Cath out of action, but we'll try and get further blog updates written soon.

Mike, so sorry. I do of course know your name, but yesterday I don't think I knew my own name.

I am now able to drink coffee again, which is going a long way to reducing the throbbing headache I had also developed.

I've been out this morning with the dog and I've been looking at the drumlins. It's interesting that as I climbed out of the boat yesterday evening, the first thing that hit me about the scenery was 'glacial'.

.....I now realise that I must be very strange if that is the way that my brain works.

Lovely to meet you Mike, I hope that it will be possible to meet again at some future time when I don't feel unwell, you are clearly a mine of fascinating information.

Thanks for all the tunnel info folks.

When we came up through the timed tunnel at Preston brook on the T&M, you can see very clearly through it with no ambiguities.

A boat coming the other way very clearly didn't enter it until some minutes after the 10 minute slot allowed for entry each hour in that direction so it is plain not everybody sticks fully to the rules.

When we were going through Preston Brook, we arrived at the North entrance at 26 minutes past, It was deserted. Dutifully waited until half-past and I was just going into gear to set off, when there was an enormous commotion at the tunnel and a boat reversed out with a Very Angry Man on the back. He was ranting and raving about a boat coming the other way who "must have gone in after the time slot". Hmm, I thought, nothing to do with you jumping the gun by at least four minutes then? He was still ranting as he went through Dutton lock, after the tunnel.

MP.

When we were going through Preston Brook, we arrived at the North entrance at 26 minutes past, It was deserted. Dutifully waited until half-past and I was just going into gear to set off, when there was an enormous commotion at the tunnel and a boat reversed out with a Very Angry Man on the back. He was ranting and raving about a boat coming the other way who "must have gone in after the time slot". Hmm, I thought, nothing to do with you jumping the gun by at least four minutes then? He was still ranting as he went through Dutton lock, after the tunnel.

MP.

wink.png

Nothing wrong, in my book, with going in five minutes early provided you check it's clear before entering.

Just to add that at very busy times, certain Bank Holiday weekends for instance, that's the only way to get the number of boats through that want to go. I did work out the number of boats which can enter the tunnel in ten minutes at the recommended spacing, can't remember the answer but it's not many relative to the hordes which descend on Cruising Club outings.

Tim

Edit to add that I've just checked the sign at the tunnel entrance. It used to specify a spacing between boats, now it just says something vague about keeping a safe distance behind other boats.

Edited by Timleech

I'm touched by people turning out specifically to find us, and say "hello".

Cath is considerably better this morning, (and actually steering at the moment), but still not 100%. However we are not planning a very heavy day, so should be fine with the locks to Skipton. Thanks for offers to assist, though.

However to satisfy requests on update as to were we are, we are currently about a mile and a half from bank Newton Top lock. If anyone else wants to come and find us at any point on or travels, then please do - the current plan is to overnight in Skipton, I think.

Mike, so sorry. I do of course know your name, but yesterday I don't think I knew my own name.

I am now able to drink coffee again, which is going a long way to reducing the throbbing headache I had also developed.

I've been out this morning with the dog and I've been looking at the drumlins. It's interesting that as I climbed out of the boat yesterday evening, the first thing that hit me about the scenery was 'glacial'.

.....I now realise that I must be very strange if that is the way that my brain works.

Lovely to meet you Mike, I hope that it will be possible to meet again at some future time when I don't feel unwell, you are clearly a mine of fascinating information.

No problems, I'm just glad you are about over the bug. I hope you like the views as you descend Bank Newton, which are some of the finest from a canal anywhere.

Hi Alan & Catrin,

So glad you are enjoying the North, and are on the mend from the stomach upset.

Having noted your comment on being vegetarian, I thought it may be worth a mention that some of the traditional chip shops in Yorkshire still prefer to cook in Beef Dripping.

As one who loves fish and chips I much prefer it that way, but for a vegetarian who just has some chips, and maybe a veggie option it can catch you out.

Now in Skipton, it's lovely here.

It didn't half rain though!

How are you coping with all the swing bridges?

None have been any great problem so far, though David has done most of them.

The last one, (possibly the first one in Skipton, I'm not sure?), was being operated for a trip boat, so we did nothing. The next one, (first one tomorrow) appears to be electric, and there were men working in its cabinet as we walked past - I hope that is not a bad omen!

I've just fixed both the bike and (hopefully) the shower pump - now do we do some more blog, or simply find a pub?................

I was certainly aware Iona carries "Johnson's Hillock" as a home location, but didn't realise she was built up this way!

Doiug Moore built his later boats at Lower Park Marina, where Richard H ran his a hire fleet from until recently. It was nice to pay the place a visit when we passed and met up with Richard who had just bought a DM boat Strumble which he kindly gave us a tour of.

It felt good to take Iona home - she got a lot of recognition as a Dougie Moore boat once we were on the L&L

Strumble was up for sale recently since Richard and Karen decided to give up the boat hire business to concentrate on their young family and actually having a life! A delightful little boat.

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Currently sampling the recommended Narrow Boat pub in Skipton - Nice pub, but I guess i'm surprised by pricing that is almost "Southern", (pint of Landlord, plus a large glass of white wine £8.70). That said, Skipton seems to have a lot more disposable income than many places we boat through, and certainly doesn't suffer the empty shops, betting shops and pawnbrokers syndrome that is increasingly common in many towns.

Going east from here, does anyone have any idea where best to buy diesel, or anywhere to specifically avoid, please? Many of the possibilities appear to be hire boat firms, which, further South, is often an expensive option.

Currently sampling the recommended Narrow Boat pub in Skipton - Nice pub, but I guess i'm surprised by pricing that is almost "Southern", (pint of Landlord, plus a large glass of white wine £8.70). That said, Skipton seems to have a lot more disposable income than many places we boat through, and certainly doesn't suffer the empty shops, betting shops and pawnbrokers syndrome that is increasingly common in many towns.

Going east from here, does anyone have any idea where best to buy diesel, or anywhere to specifically avoid, please? Many of the possibilities appear to be hire boat firms, which, further South, is often an expensive option.

Up here and East of Skipton, you buy diesel where you can.....if it costs a bit more from hire boat firms it's for a reason....

Apperley bridge marina sells diesel or if you have a car I can tell you where to get some real cheap in Bradford?