Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

not sure if you have read this http://www.academia.edu/860270/Water_transport_in_the_industrial_age_Commodities_and_carriers_on_the_Rochdale_Canal_1804-1855 i came across it when I was doing a project on employment generated on the Canals during the nineteenth century. your family is mentioned a few times

I have quite a lot of information on Coal Companies and have records of tolls paid by J & J Veveers they were certainly a fairly significant player on the Rochdale and what was collectively known as Manchester Coal Carrying Companies. You certainly have a very interesting family with lots of Canal History and significant employers both direct and as contractors

The Rochdale Canal Letter books in Greater Manchester Record Office have references to the Veevers. I looked at them when researching the history of the lock at Todmorden. Some letter books have indexes, and from the ones I copied, Veevers are mentioned in B2/6/1/20 and B2/6/2/13. The letter books give a fascinating insight into the canals history and have not been used by historians in any detail. When I looked at them, I was obviously the first person to do so since they had been put into the archive.

Thank You Cotswoldman, I do have that article, and maps showing other warehouses they used.

Pluto, that sounds interesting. Thank You.

What I don't want to do is hijack Alan and Catrin's holiday thread.

However it may well be worth me starting a new thread in the History section of the forum. I do have a lot of info, but am always looking for more.

Any details are gratefully received.

I don't have a problem with that Henhouse, but it would probably be better elsewhere, just to make it easier to find.

The latest news is that we have had a trip to Urgent Care in Rochdale, because Alan fell off the bike lockwheeling, and needed to have his face steristripped. He will have a black eye for a few days, but the cut to his cheek has gone back together cleanly. Now a few locks behind schedule.

He also managed to break the head off one of our long throw windlasses.

Maybe someone's trying to tell you something about lockwheeling by bike.

Mr Smelly, possibly? biggrin.png

I've stuck to doing it on foot today, (but was thwarted when the floating pontoon that is supposed to form the tow path of the Rochdale under the M62 culvert wasn't actually in place!).

face is now all colours of black and blue, (it is obvious many people are trying not to stare, but not really managing it!), but I realise it could easily have been heaps worse.

With the help of an efficient couple on another boat, we have got a further 23 of these deep locks done today, (every single one against us), before calling it a day near the attractively named (!) Slattocks.

The Rochdale summit is a stunner, and worth the hard work involved - in its own way even more magnificent that the Leeds and Liverpool was.

Tomorrow looks set to be a considerably heavier day (!)

Mr Smelly, possibly? biggrin.png

I've stuck to doing it on foot today, (but was thwarted when the floating pontoon that is supposed to form the tow path of the Rochdale under the M62 culvert wasn't actually in place!).

face is now all colours of black and blue, (it is obvious many people are trying not to stare, but not really managing it!), but I realise it could easily have been heaps worse.

With the help of an efficient couple on another boat, we have got a further 23 of these deep locks done today, (every single one against us), before calling it a day near the attractively named (!) Slattocks.

The Rochdale summit is a stunner, and worth the hard work involved - in its own way even more magnificent that the Leeds and Liverpool was.

Tomorrow looks set to be a considerably heavier day (!)

There's more gripping things going on here than on Eastenders.

Bob

Tomorrow is potentially an easy day, you only have to get to the Rose of Lancaster and set off down to piccadilly basin the following morning. If you are doing it in one from Slattocks it will indeed be a considerably heavier day. I've done piccadilly basin to Slattocks in a day! Hope you aren't feeling too sore, and keep shtum about the grandeur of Rochdale Summit, it will get infested with southerners, cmers etc. ?

On our wishlist is the HNC and the Rochdale but we've found a lot of negativity about both - I'm starting to wonder are they worth it? The feedback we've had from serious boaters has always been that they are really hard work and there are sinkings where the boat owners are not to blame at all.

This is turning into Dave's wishlist - he wants to do Standedge Tunnel, maybe we should just stick with that.

On our wishlist is the HNC and the Rochdale but we've found a lot of negativity about both - I'm starting to wonder are they worth it? The feedback we've had from serious boaters has always been that they are really hard work and there are sinkings where the boat owners are not to blame at all.

We've done a lot of locks and a lot of miles - I'll be interested to talk to Alan & Cath to find out whether these canals are really worth doing in terms of effort / reward.

This is turning into Dave's wishlist - he wants to do Standedge Tunnel, maybe we should just stick with that.

We've done a lot of locks and a lot of miles - I'll be interested to talk to Alan & Cath to find out whether these canals are really worth doing in terms of effort / reward.

There is a lot of negativity about both but mainly unjustified.

We're moored on the Calder & Hebble so have done both several times now. The HNC isn't for softies, southern or otherwise. You have to be prepared for problems with water levels and failing infrastructure. If you going up and the lock doesn't fill properly, the pounds above are almost dry and the bottom gates leak push the boat out gently if you touch the top cill back off. In the short pounds make sure there's water above. Coming down is usually easier but there's always the potential for a broken paddle, gate or mechanism. The Standedge Tunnel is likely scratch the paint off your gunnels and handrail but it's worth it. Doing the HNC to a deadline is usually a guarantee you'll meet problems - 'Murphy's other Law'

On the other hand the Rochdale has been a relative joy to do these past couple of years. It's not easy, especially the descent / ascent into/out-of Manchester but then I usually drop all the way down to Castlefied - long day! The summit is magnificent and well worth the effort.

I think the Calder and Hebble Locks are in a lot worse condition than those on the Rochdale.

Both canals are hard work and definitely not the like those wussy canals which are a total joy in the Midlands but definitely worth a punt if you've not done them and don't mind hard work.

The summit of the Rochdale IMO is the highlight of the entire system

Highest on a broad canal, apparently, but HNC summit is considerably higher, it seems.

Pennine Waterways site linky

The approaches to Manchester seem a lot less appealing!

Highlight as in one of the nicest placed not as highest place

Ah, put my misread down to the fact that my specs have not quite been what they were since I squashed them into my face a couple of days ago!

Ah, put my misread down to the fact that my specs have not quite been what they were since I squashed them into my face a couple of days ago!

And the long approach into Manchester is rather less of a highlight.

Lets be frank, bits of it are a rubbish strewn tip, and nobody seems to love it at all.

We're plan to go on the L&L next year traveling from east to west so I will bookmark this thread and its very useful information to refer to nearer the time. It certainly looks a challenging but rewarding canal but will be even more of a challenge for us because our boat is 62' so we'll have the messing about of squeezing diagonally into each lock which presumably will take longer.

It's a good job we won't have any time constraints so if it takes longer because of our length it shouldn't matter, and we also want to take our time to explore the places we are passing through.

Just one question, how busy is this canal (outside of the school holidays) because due to our length we obviously will have to go through the locks 'solo' and if it's busy it may make us unpopular with other boaters?

We're plan to go on the L&L next year traveling from east to west so I will bookmark this thread and its very useful information to refer to nearer the time. It certainly looks a challenging but rewarding canal but will be even more of a challenge for us because our boat is 62' so we'll have the messing about of squeezing diagonally into each lock which presumably will take longer.

It's a good job we won't have any time constraints so if it takes longer because of our length it shouldn't matter, and we also want to take our time to explore the places we are passing through.

Just one question, how busy is this canal (outside of the school holidays) because due to our length we obviously will have to go through the locks 'solo' and if it's busy it may make us unpopular with other boaters?

L&LC locks were built for 62.5 feet boats. However, you may end up diagonally to get away from the leaks through the gates.

As has been said 62 feet will fit without shuffling, but expect to get a lot of incidents relating to waterfalls and waterfalls from gates and paddles in poor condition.

All the Northern waterways we have done in the last couple of weeks (Leeds & Liverpool, Aire and Calder, Calder and Hebble, Rochdale, Ashton)), are very under-used, even in school holidays. You might go all day on bits of the L&L and see only half a dozen other moving boats, and by the end of the Rochdale, I think we went all day passing only a couple.

The sole exceptions were a load of rather dangerously steered day boats emanating from Skipton, and the hire fleet out of Sowerby Bridge, which don't actually seem to get that far up the climb from Sowerby Bridge before turning around again. However with a 62 foot boat you could not pass through Sowerby Bridge and on to the Calder & Hebble anyway, so the latter is probably irrelevant.

It is going to be a rare occasion you hold anyone up, (unless you take on enough leaking gate water to actually sink you!).

Incidentally, I was genuinely surprised that of all the canals listed above, the maintenance of locks and paddles is worse on the L&L than any of the others. Working locks on the Rochdale, (which some people claim as hard), seemed far easier than the L&L to us, if only because most bits work as they are supposed to.