Hazel sat on the bottom

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Always a sad sight, but it was going to happen eventually

She's been knocking around the Oxford area for a while with no apparent home.

Now resting above Pigeons lock

gallery_1645_261_30203.jpg

gallery_1645_261_26962.jpg

No sign of any solar to run a bilge pump, so I presume that the battery eventually went flat and she went down.

Edited by Proper Job

Always a sad sight, but it was going to happen eventually

She's been knocking around the Oxford area for a while with apparent home.

Now resting above Pigeons lock

gallery_1645_261_30203.jpg

gallery_1645_261_26962.jpg

No sign of any solar to run a bilge pump, so I presume that the battery eventually went flat and she went down.

Good job its not too deep so she should be abled to be pumped out OK

I've no idea who owns her.

She was all locked up and it may well be that the owner is not aware of her predicament.

At the moment the ropes are holding her. If one breaks (IIRC, they're just around the steel pile with no chain/piling hook) she'll probably slide out in to the channel and cause a problem.

This were I feel CRT should step in and contact the owners to ensure that further damage is not caused to the boat and that it doesn't become a navigation problem. Yes I know that there has been talk of this before and the subject of legality of CRT not being allowed to touch the boat, or be accused of causing damage, but if you left your car on the side of the road and it was in danger of causing an obstruction or being further damaged the police or council would soon move it

This were I feel CRT should step in and contact the owners to ensure that further damage is not caused to the boat and that it doesn't become a navigation problem. Yes I know that there has been talk of this before and the subject of legality of CRT not being allowed to touch the boat, or be accused of causing damage, but if you left your car on the side of the road and it was in danger of causing an obstruction or being further damaged the police or council would soon move it

Given your location and the recent inactivity of CRT with respect to a sunken boat at New Mills, I think you know the answer!

George ex nb Alton retired

Well I got fed up with declaring my interest in buying this boat as the owner always had someone offering "a little bit more".

He's got my number but I doubt he'll ring.

This were I feel CRT should step in and contact the owners to ensure that further damage is not caused to the boat and that it doesn't become a navigation problem.

It is sat on the bottom, secured to the pilings.

It is not a hazard to navigation nor is it likely to become one.

I too had a long conversation the the previous (?) owner last Autumn when on the market. We went to look at Hazel, having previously owned by my parents in the nineties when she was subject to a section 8 at Trent Lock. I believe she had just been sold, and there was certainly signs of life on her. She isn't as bad as she looks, given the age, and probably the last "most original" wooden butty on the cut, she should certainly be kept extant. The danger lies with looting rather than being a restriction to navigation, and she'll certainly come up with a couple of pumps. I have to say though that she needs to be with someone who understands the work required, and stops worrying about the cabin paint and concentrate on the caulking and waterline planking.

Regards

Dan

• 1 month later...

According to the description we have a motorised butty with a 30HP Lister ST2. Must be turbocharged.

Edit: I see the 'ST2' has 3 cylinders.

yes, I pointed this out in an earlier post this week. I got a lecture about there being ST and SR type Listers...

(Had an ST3 in my boat for three years, I know them a bit... doh.)

BTW, I make the engine in the picture in the advert an SR3, judging by the rocker covers. 27 hp at full tilt, when new...

yes, I pointed this out in an earlier post this week. I got a lecture about there being ST and SR type Listers...

(Had an ST3 in my boat for three years, I know them a bit... doh.)

BTW, I make the engine in the picture in the advert an SR3, judging by the rocker covers. 27 hp at full tilt, when new...

It looks very much like a SR rather than ST re the rocker covers. Always understood the SR3 to be rated at 19.5 hp

Don't think so. Marine SRs normally rated are 6.5HP per pot, so 19.5 HP is likely to be what is on the manufacturers plate.

Generally people said "20", though.