Hazel sat on the bottom

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Why do ebay people put in an annoying secret reserve price? Why not just state the lowest they are prepared to accept as a starting price?

The psycholgy of bidding suggests a momentum of bidding might build up that rockets past the secret reserve price, whereas if the reserve was used as the starting price, no-one might bid.

In addition, I suspect the ebay fees might be slightly lower if a secret reserve is used instead of a high starting price.

MtB

I don't have the lister manual anymore, but I remember that the max power of the SR3 was rated at 27 or 28 hp at max revs.

The manual for my mums boat rates theirs at 19.5 HP, of that I am certain.

I am on the Great Ouse 50 odd miles away by car and 110 odd miles by boat so can't nip back and check I'm afraid.

Why do ebay people put in an annoying secret reserve price? Why not just state the lowest they are prepared to accept as a starting price?

Adding to my previous comments, my guess would be that the reserve will be close to £10k, the price HAZEL was being marketed for last time around IIRC.

This boat seems to be regularly changing hands as naïve and/or potless buyers realise too late what needs to be spent and decide to get rid instead. The cost of restoration will never be added to the boat value so I think this boat is past the point of no return. She is doomed to lie around continuing to rot away. Pass the parcel springs to mind.

I had a chat with Gem Bates a few years ago about restoring a wooden narrowboat. His view was that building a whole new boat using the old one as a pattern would be cheaper than restoring an existing old wooden narrowboat properly.

I have the feeling each new owner of HAZEL has the same conversation after buying her, and realises they don't have the bargain they thought so back on the market she comes...

MtB

No current cruising licence but moored on the Oxford canal. Is this a case of 'will be removed and broken up'

It looks that way to me. The boat was looking very unloved last time I passed, a few months ago.

With no license I wonder if it has been served a Section 8 already, hence the sale.

MtB

According to the description we have a motorised butty with a 30HP Lister ST2. Must be turbocharged.

Edit: I see the 'ST2' has 3 cylinders.

And looks suspiciously like an SR, not an ST.

Only if you have £50k to throw at a £20k boat

MtB

And nothing else to do with your time.

• 1 month later...

Latest auction ended 27th Sept, yet again reserve not met, and bidding up to £3000.

I can't help but feel this will drag out and not end well.

Dan

Three grand is the top end of what it's worth but I'd rather have Hardy, a substantially rebuilt Nurser worth a lot more but available for a lot less.

it's probably worth whatever the engine would fetch, it does need quite a lot of work, it needed some work 20 years ago and I would guess not a lot has been done since then!

Tom

What engine is it then? A small Lister of no particular value IIRC. Especially as it's been immersed recently!

Very sad but the boat seems to be of no value to anyone. I can see it getting Section 8'ed and removed soon if the mention of no license on the ebay listing is correct.

MtB