Out for blacking - sense of balance

Daiboy

Featured Posts

Has anyone had this experience or is just me (I cannot believe this). I live aboard and have done for around 18 months. I am at Highline marina on the Slough Arm and Saturday my boat was lifted out in preparation for a 2 part epoxy blacking (I have recently come into some money from PPI refund).

I find that when I walk down the boat I still continue to try and counteract the swaying motion as if I'm still on the water. This is very disconcerting especially before a beer.

Still a funny feeling of no movement at all.

Steady as she goes

Safely down

I would be more concerned in making sure the hull is well shot blasted before correctly applying 2 pack epoxy, at least then you can sip your beer in the almost certain knowledge you probably won't have to endure this situation again for at least another 5 years or so smile.pngcheers.gif

Thanks Julynian. I have watched the lads work on a few boats here over the last few months and they do a good job. First jetwash to clear rubbish, shotblast back to bare metal (I will then have a hull survey done for insurance purposes), coat of primer, 2 coats of the epoxy stuff and finally a coat of black gloss because the epoxy dries to a grey colour. Lift out and in all for £3,600. I'm out for a month so the work will not be rushed and they can dodge the drops.

Hey hi ya Daiboy, Haven't seen a lot of you lately,good to see you on the board's again.

I know what you mean ref the false movement compensation thing, it is odd, I don't get it so much on this boat as it doesn't really rock that much, but my last one did. So took a day or so to get use to it when on Terra Terma, but I find copious amounts of Cider helps !.

Hope all goes well and the weather holds for the work to be done, (or are you being Tented). Boat looks good now, so will look Brilliant with a Bum Lift !..

Cheers for now.

When I first had my boat, and started living on it remember the first few weeks were very strange. Would be standing on dry ground and everything looked like it was swaying. And yes, was completely sober :-). Stopped on mine when I blacked it just before xmas and find it very difficult to sleep when nothings moving

I get sea legs and I suffer for a few days when I'm back on dry land.

Not forgetting the related condition where you get in the car after a trip on the boat and find everybody overtaking you - even 20mph seems dangerously fast after a week spent at 4 mph!

• Greenie 1

I can't bear it when our boat is in dry dock. It just seems 'dead' somehow when there is no movement, no light flickering on the ceiling, no noises.

Such a relief when she goes back in the water.

Not forgetting the related condition where you get in the car after a trip on the boat and find everybody overtaking you - even 20mph seems dangerously fast after a week spent at 4 mph!

And you keep slowing to tickover for moored cars too!

You know that you are getting good at handling a boat when the car feels horribly vague........

And no, the tyre pressures were fine!

And you keep slowing to tickover for moored cars too!

Make sure you don't try passing cars coming the other way port to port! ;-O

I've heard it referred to as "Land Sickness" which I quite like.

We are a big and heavy 70 footer so don't really move about nearly as much as a smaller boat but we still both keep crashing into the doorways when we are in the dry dock.

Met a hireboater in Newbury a couple of days ago with a serious case of Sea Sickness but they had just come up the Kennet!

..............Dave

I can't bear it when our boat is in dry dock. It just seems 'dead' somehow when there is no movement, no light flickering on the ceiling, no noises.

Such a relief when she goes back in the water.

Indeed. We were out for almost nine weeks this winter.

Took some getting used to both ways.

Our boat moves around a lot so I guess the feeling is even more pronounced than on a narrowboat!

I've heard it referred to as "Land Sickness" which I quite like.

We are a big and heavy 70 footer so don't really move about nearly as much as a smaller boat but we still both keep crashing into the doorways when we are in the dry dock.

Met a hireboater in Newbury a couple of days ago with a serious case of Sea Sickness but they had just come up the Kennet!

..............Dave

Yea. Land sickness is real.

I traveled from New Zealand to Britain on a modest liner as a kid, stopping off on the way (crossed the equator on my tenth birthday and was ceremoniously thrown overboard. They hadn't invented health & safety yet)

OK at sea, but on disembarking I felt ill and stumbled about.

Working on and sleeping on a 'tender' boat I hopped onto the pontoon in the morning and must have looked like I'd taken a bottle to bed with me.

The strangest thing that I can remember, related to this subject, is when PETRA was docked for pre purchase survey in Zaandam and I stayed on board.

It was a floating dry dock along a busy commercial canal and, when in bed at night, it took some getting used to the boat moving even though she was out of the water!

Keith

I would be more concerned in making sure the hull is well shot blasted before correctly applying 2 pack epoxy, at least then you can sip your beer in the almost certain knowledge you probably won't have to endure this situation again for at least another 5 years or so smile.pngcheers.gif

Hi Julynian, Just thought I'd put up a few photos of Abacus out on the hard standing and the shot blasting that's being done.

It looks good to me as it's gone back to bare metal and there are a few areas of pitting but not too much for a boat built in 1975. Your thoughts are welcome, as indeed are any thoughts from this forum.

Cheers, Dai.

Hardstanding 1

Hardstanding 2

Hardstanding 3

Hardstanding 4

Hardstanding 5

Hardstanding 6

Hardstanding 7

Our boat is painted in 2-pack and has been since new. We originally thought that we'd get everything on the stern gear checked over and put right with a view to not needing to take it out the water for a good 4-5 years. However, our cutlass bearing was replaced a couple of years ago and is already somewhat worn, so 'stretching' out lifts to 5+ years is not such a great idea. (Footnote, might be worth mentioning it could be related to the engine not being aligned properly in the first place - however we bought the boat then and PAID FOR the engine to be aligned and the cutlass bearing to be replaced......grrrrrrr (at least we now know the workshop/canal engineer to avoid)).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dai

Good and interesting pics

I would love the penny's to get our boat shot blasted, can you breakdown the cost please?

Shot blasting

Paint

Etc

I was also thinking of shot blasting and using a hard international anti fouling?

At the mo we just have black jack on, but to be fair, if having the boat out every 2 years what's the best bottom to cover your bottom.

Is it you get what you pay for?

Most boats on tidal waters have anti foul, most boats on the canals have blacking.

I once saw a Dutch barge come out at Willowbridge,

after 3 years in water, once pressure washed all the anti fouling was still smooth looking good!

Edited by bigcol

Hi Dai

Good and interesting pics

I would love the penny's to get our boat shot blasted, can you breakdown the cost please?

Shot blasting

Paint

Etc

I was also thinking of shot blasting and using a hard international anti fouling?

At the mo we just have black jack on, but to be fair, if having the boat out every 2 years what's the best bottom to cover your bottom.

Is it you get what you pay for?

Most boats on tidal waters have anti foul, most boats on the canals have blacking.

I once saw a Dutch barge come out at Willowbridge,

after 3 years in water, once pressure washed all the anti fouling was still smooth looking good!

Hi Bigcol,

Sorry there is no breakdown as the cost is an all inclusive price for this type of blacking at High Line. Lifting boat out of the water, shot blasting back to bare metal, primer coat, 2 part epoxy coat and a finishing coat of black gloss and lifting back to canal. The cost here "in the South" can be quite expensive but the job is well done.

Just an update on the survey. For a boat built by Hancock & Lane in 1975 there has been no overplating and the hull is in great shape apart from a little pitting on the water line. As the insulation is expanded polystyrene I will have the pits filled with a chemical "metal" as apposed to spot welding, as this could melt or fire the insulation. It will cost around £500 extra but I'm sure this would be the same cost as spot welding the pits.

Anyway the survey report is great and just right for my insurance renewal next month. I will post some more pictures of the bottom as the work proceeds.

Dai

• 2 weeks later...