And another thing. Slowing down.

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

Yeah but when they sit at the front they do not realise the a-end swings out (albeit from the middle or wherever) and hence moored craft get clouted very hard. And it happens frequently. It is not the scientific detail, which I do understand, it is trying to find simple language that new boaters understand. The good yards work to that rule - the stern end swings - others don't mention anything and, of course, sometimes tuition/advice falls on deaf ears.

Incidentally, I was told that a boat pivots about 2/3rds down its length working from bow to stern.

Edited by Traveller

I'd go with 2/3 give or take a bit.

You can find out roughly where the point is by pushing on the side of the boat whilst stationary, eventually you will find the point where the bow pushes away from you.

It may alter a little under power but not much.

I never give it a thought these days though.

Get a Speedometer App for your Smartphone, take some readings related to your tacho revs.

Do this on varying depth/width stretches. Then you know exactly how fast you are going.

Most of the time using less throttle actually results in the same speed on a shallow canal .

Our Boat is hugely over-engined and we cruise at 3.7 mph at 700rpm on good water……AND I slow down for moored boats to 2.7mph at 500rpm.

If it is really tight and shallow I will knock it into neutral past boats, and no I don't lose my steering thanks.

SLOW DOWN YOU BU**ERS!

Knocking down the banks and silting up the Cut BAH!!!!!

Rant over!

I'd go with 2/3 give or take a bit.

You can find out roughly where the point is by pushing on the side of the boat whilst stationary, eventually you will find the point where the bow pushes away from you.

It may alter a little under power but not much.

I never give it a thought these days though.

All that, and each boat is different. My first (Very light, clinker built) boat pivoted round the engine, which was about 20 feet from the bow on a 32 foot boat. This one seems to pivot about 20 feet back on a 36 foot Springer with an engine about 32 feet from the sharp end.

You do get used to it very quickly, and I find having to get it within a foot or two at 4mph is much more relaxed than the normal 6 inches either way at 60mph I have to do at work, especially when the boat is smaller than the coach in all directions.

Could have done with someone turning the wind down last night, never mind passing boats slowing down.

Not nice in Wells with a strong north easterly blowing down the harbour. Had this for three hours each tide yesterday!

Thankfully the wind has turned around to the east today so it won't be so bad.

Just remember a passing boat may upset you for a minute or so then it's gone. Not much you can do about Mother Nature when she's in a mood!

On the few occasions I've been on the boat when people have been gong past I've noticed the amount my boat moves isn't necessarily related to how fast, or slow the other boat is moving. Not sure what the deciding factor actually is but some boats have whizzed passed and caused barely a ripple, whereas other boats pass slowly (whilst moored at the same spot) and I've really felt the earth move.

I'm pondering if the boats that slow down meet their higher speed bow wave as it ripples back from the banks, causing more choppy water. - Sorry for such a poor explanation!

The most irritating experiences have been the people that gently pootle past, then, as soon as their boat is level with the end of a (my) moored boat, push the throttle up to their normal cruising speed, this sudden surge really does rock my world.

I really don't care too much how fast or slow people go by, although I try to always chain to piling and I'm often elsewhere during 'regular boating hours' so it doesn't affect me that much. That said I had to use pins when moored around Brinklow, every day I came back from work, wondering if the boat would be where I'd left it. Luckily it was, although I regularly came back to find one of the pins torn out of the, very wet, ground and on at least one occasion, that was only because someone had kindly re-moored the boat in my absence, I could tell because the lines were tied differently to how I do it. - Thank you to the unknown rescuer.

Rob

I almost burst out laughing last week- We must be one of the slowest boats on the cut and do slow down before passing boats- last week we were about to pass one boat on the T&M last week and the owner was stood outside his boat- I tried to catch his eye to say morning and initially he wouldn't look at me and then just said "Too Fast"

Honestly- I was actually shocked. When I managed to lift my jaw up- I suggested he learn to tie up correctly as there was no reason his boat should be impacted by us passing it

I think for some boaters it's becoming a Pavlovs dog reaction- If they see a boat pass they automatically shout "Too fast"

I have no sympathy for speeding boats, but some ( a small minority) boaters when moored seem to have no ability or desire to differentiate between speedinhg and non speeding boats

Hi Woodstock,

It wasn't willington was it? We passed a boat as slow as I could go (deep draft historic narrowboat) his ropes were so slack that the boat bounced towards os then rebounded as the rope tightened. Bloke reading a paper ranted for us to slow down. I politely suggested I would stop and teach him how to tie up!

Andrew

Yeah but when they sit at the front they do not realise the a-end swings out (albeit from the middle or wherever) and hence moored craft get clouted very hard. And it happens frequently. It is not the scientific detail, which I do understand, it is trying to find simple language that new boaters understand. The good yards work to that rule - the stern end swings - others don't mention anything and, of course, sometimes tuition/advice falls on deaf ears.

Incidentally, I was told that a boat pivots about 2/3rds down its length working from bow to stern.

Even for the same boat it seems to depend on how much engine power you apply and how far you push the tiller over. Plus of course it depends on how the weight is distributed: it is a fascinating experience to take a loaded boat, carrying say 15 tons of coal, and then observe how the pivot point gradually moves towards you as you remove the load over a period of several days.

I went so slow at times whilst moving my boat that my boat fitters head popped up and down checking out what was up, i maybe cannot quite work this speed thing out yet. It was nice of Stuart to come as i am such a novice.

With regard to the speeding issue .... I often think the difference between hirer and private boater (generally....) is ignorance versus arrogance

I love that phrase. Sums it up in a nutshell! and I agree with the (generally) bit

With regard to the speeding issue .... I often think the difference between hirer and private boater (generally....) is ignorance versus arrogance

I love that phrase. Sums it up in a nutshell! and I agree with the (generally) bit

Cruel........but (generally) true

Well that is very clever of you. I think most of us know how to tie up properly and the implication of not doing so. ..

I am sorry but you are wrong. You may know how to do it but a lot of boaters don't know how to tie up. This month I have been on the K&A and a lot of boaters here moor up for a long time and you wouldn't believe how many ropes are so slack they hang in the water.

No its because some of them are on hire boats.

I was traveling with a hire boat this week, locking together, the pounds were quite long so we were following each other, not traveling side by side. When we reached one of the locks, I was following, the hire asked if the boat we had passed shouted at me for speeding, which she hadn't. We were both doing the same speed but he was on a hire boat, so must be speeding.

I know what you mean about being 'treated' differently if on a hire boat...... we have owned boats for over 10 years ............ boated for over 15... When we first started hiring owners couldn't wait to give us helpfully advice .......... a few years ago we hired for a week whilst we waited for a new boat to be delivered........ Totally different... Telling a friend about this he said not to worry he was even further down the food chain........... he helped on a charity boat and owners didn't even give them the time of day!

Some narrow boaters are a bunch of wimps when it comes to boats going past. Imagine putting signs out like that area is your private property. I'll slow down but not to tickover. Do any of these people ever moor on big rivers? They'd get a bit of a shock. If people expect there to be no movement once they've moored up they really shouldn't be on a boat.

I actually like a little movement when moored up, I find it relaxing.

And you must remember you are on a boat, anyone who wants to be perfectly still when stopped for the day buy a caravan instead of a boat

I actually like a little movement when moored up, I find it relaxing.

And you must remember you are on a boat, anyone who wants to be perfectly still when stopped for the day buy a caravan instead of a boat

Hi muddy. Think you passed me twice today at grove lock. Nice boat.

Passing through the GU from Debdale to kings cross, I noticed a silly little sign that now adorns lots if boats who's owners must have been to Crick show.

A magnetic A5 white sign with red circle warning sign with TICK OVER through the middle.....proudly stuck to the sides of their boats. By the time you read it, oops, bit too late.

I only got shouted at once, after miles if tick over cruising, middle of a line of boats outside the Crystal Palace in Berkhampstead. I couldn't have gone slower without reversing ( which I almost did!!)

Edited by matty40s