Where to leave a boat for a month in Brum?

MtB

Featured Posts

Ok, thanks for all the replies and offers everyone.

Thing is, I don't really have a plan other than that I'm likely to arrive in Brum and have no idea where to leave Reg while I hang around waiting for the BCN Challenge weekend and driving back to Reading for work.

Sherborne Wharf looks a handy place to park him if I get stuck. Anyone know how much they charge, given the comments about them being expensive? I had a look at their website but despite a subheading inviting visitors to download a price list, there is no link that I can see!

MtB

I had not twigged your timings here, I would agree with Richard, leave the boat at a combination of Lapworth and the Wearings Green, that is what we are doing pre BCN Challenge. WearingS Green to NIA is about 5 hours.

LOL.

Wouldnt trust Cambrian Wharf, however outside the NIA is not too bad, public but usually alot of boats moored there. Might be worth asking the residents at Gas street if somewheres free just for a couple of weeks

The permanent moorings are pretty full right now. The only spot 'inside the gates' is one where the usual moored is highly unlikely to give permission.

If you wanted to moor on the visitor moorings in the basin, I'm happy to keep an eye out for your boat but I'm likely to be away and back a few times myself.

I was just going to say, the twice I have been with boaters at the NIA, someone untied boats in the night. Evidently the f'tard massive has a large following in that area.

Odd isn't it? I totally agree with the poster who said just because there was a problem 10 years ago it won't be the same now. We frequently moor in Birmingham and love it there. However, in many years of boating we have only been cast off 3 times, twice outside the nia on successive nights back in 1999ish. The first time we were pretty scared by a loud thump on the boat at 3 a.m. -it turned out to be security waking us up to tell us we'd been set adrift and they'd spotted us on CCTV cameras.They didn't stay to help us tie up though.

But if he takes up your offer how are we going to fit Tawny in as wellbiggrin.png

Ahhhhhhh.........

So that's where you're starting smile.png

On the subject of being cast orf, we've untied twice in the past year or so. Once from the mooring across from the cube, we were the only boat there, and once from the Main Line. That time we were the last boat on the way out towards Shepcote St Bridge.

But this hasn't stopped us from mooring in Brum, we love it there. Preferred mooring is just round the corner at the start of the Oozells St Loop.

As for MtB's question I'd agree the North Stratford is probably the better route if he's planning to leave 'Reggie' for a while. Fewer locks too, 18 up to Gas St. as opposed to 30 on the GU. Prettier too.

And more pubs!

cheers.gif

Sherborne Wharf looks a handy place to park him if I get stuck. Anyone know how much they charge, given the comments about them being expensive? I had a look at their website but despite a subheading inviting visitors to download a price list, there is no link that I can see!

i suspect they will charge a similar cost as their sister company, Heritage Narrow Boats, who currently charge for short term hire, £1.20 per foot, per week.

But if he takes up your offer how are we going to fit Tawny in as wellbiggrin.png

My suggestion Mike would be to leave her at the top of Lapworth, Hockley heath is good, and then to move her on to somewhere like warings green (assuming your going in up the Stratford). From there it's only 4 or 5 hours into the centre of Brum. If you're going in up the GU then Catherine de Barnes for a fortnight, then maybe ibto brum.

I suppose it depends where on the BCN you're starting, but I'd certainly have 2 weeks before you get there, then you only need 1 14 day morring in Brum.

Sue

The Cat has never been set adrift once in his many sojourns to central Brum, but has been broken into once. Guess where that was. Some places may look nice and rural, but that doesn't always mean they're safe. Just sayin'

Odd isn't it? I totally agree with the poster who said just because there was a problem 10 years ago it won't be the same now. We frequently moor in Birmingham and love it there. However, in many years of boating we have only been cast off 3 times, twice outside the nia on successive nights back in 1999ish. The first time we were pretty scared by a loud thump on the boat at 3 a.m. -it turned out to be security waking us up to tell us we'd been set adrift and they'd spotted us on CCTV cameras.They didn't stay to help us tie up though.

The incidents I know of were both in the last six months, and I suspect there were many more too!

We are often in Brum as we moor at Titford at the top of the Crow.we have been untied once in the last ten years !After that happened we have used parcel ties around the ropes-never been set adrift since then !We sometimes moor in Oozels st loop but more often on the main line opposite the N I A as we like to see what' s going on ! Trina

Nope. I haven't enquired anywhere yet except on here. I would imagine Hockley Port will not be answering their fone this time on a Sunday night :D

Anyway all bets are off as REGINALD's engine is busted now.

:(

MtB

Anyway all bets are off as REGINALD's engine is busted now.

sad.png

MtB

You've still got 4 weeks, enough time to forge a whole new engine in the volcanoes of Mount Doom if necessary. I think all this talk of loosened ropes has put you off and you have tipped a bag of sugar into Reggie's fuel tank!

The incidents I know of were both in the last six months, and I suspect there were many more too!

I also expect there are loads of people like myself who have spent many months in Birmingham and never been Untied!! The only time in 9 years that I have been untied was in Audlem

Perhaps we've just been unlucky in being untied twice.

There was a third attempt too. I was woken by the boat rocking very early one morning. I lept out of bed shouting 'Get off my boat you bastard' but by the time I found trousers, etc all I saw was a figure pegging it along the towpath towards Shepcote St Bridge.

But I would emphasise that I wouldn't let this put you off mooring in the center of Brum.

I feel it's more of a 'youthful high spirits/drunken prank' sort of thing rather than something more malicious.

(But was still bl00dy annoying having to get out of bed in the middle of the night when it was chucking it down and blowing a hooley!)

Tawny, Mike. There is a whole basin of forumites here at HP. Plenty of room for 2 extra boats to park themselves temporarily. Just be aware it is not a BW key so arrangements need to be made to let you out. Give us plenty of warning.

I like mooring in Brum too, but I have encountered three incidents of mild annoyance.

First a beer bottle slung from the balcony of the pub which hit the hull and smashed. Second the rope untying fairies , cast off the hire boat in front of me and started but gave up on my knitted mooring lines. The third and potentially worst was a bunch of pratts who planned to piss in the hold from the bank . They cleared off when I waved a soaking wet mop at them. I hope somebody got their cocktail sausage caught in their zip.

None of this would put me off mooring in Brum its par for the course anywhere urban really.