Whistling Kettles! Padlocks on gas lockers? Green or Blue down the Loo?

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Having just bought a narrowboat we realised we'll need a 'whistling kettle' for the gas stove (we're not used to cooking with gas, our electric kettle here at home clicks itself off when water boiling). Which ones are nicest/best/most suitable for narrowboats?

Gas locker - is it allowed to put a padlock(s) to the hinged hatch? Safety regulations may forbid use of locks? Do gas bottles ever get stolen from the locker? Ours is at the nose of the boat (and for those who like to use nautical terms I mean 'front').

Portable 'cassette' toilet. I suppose 'cassette' sounds better than 'plastic bucket', eh! Thetford has 'Aqua Kem Blue' and 'Aqua Kem Green' - we have been told to use Green as it's more environmentally friendly. What's the difference between the two? Advantages/disadvantages? Price difference?

Edited by Emerald Fox

Having just bought a narrowboat we realised we'll need a 'whistling kettle' for the gas stove (we're not used to cooking with gas, our electric kettle here at home clicks itself off when water boiling). Which ones are nicest/best/most suitable for narrowboats?

We are looking for a new Whistling Kettle so will be interested to hear the replies. One kettle I cannot recommend is the Morphy Richards Accents Whisling Kettle. The whistle is on a hinged flap attached to the spout, and is so weak it cannot be heard over the radio inside the boat, let alone outside. We bought one, but it went back.

I believe they now produce one with a conventional removable whistle which might be better. I may try and get one of those.

Edited by David Schweizer

Our kettle has a loud whistle, and even I can hear it, but sadly have no idea what make it is. Came from a caravan shop IIRC.

Locks on gas locker hatches were naughty at one time, but the rules keep changing. I imagine you could lock the bottles in with a chain and padlock around bottle tops?

We use bilogcal washing liquid in the bucket and chuckit. Cheap at Asda and after a few applications the smell is much less than with blue/green stuff. I am told it is kinder to the seals too. (the toilet seals not the sea mammals.)

Le Cruset (sp?) Do a nice kettle that can also go on top of your SFS when it's on. You can usually pick them up reduced in TK Maxx.

Yes, we have one in a lovely enamelled blue colour. They do a big one which is normally getting on for £100 in posh shops like John Lewis, and a smaller one that's nearer £50- but we got ours from TK MAxx for £25 and are very pleased with it.

We've had 3 whistlers now.

First one was a decent medium quality camping kettle S/S about 2.5L worked perfectly well but got a bit grubby & tatty over time 5/6 years cost under a tenner. So Lynn wanted a bigger & posher one, so we spent about £20 on a decent medium quality whistler S/S with a lever built into the handle to release the whistle top. After about 2 years it began making a whistling noise well before boiling and did so even with whistle top removed, it was really annoying, it also started rusting internally, 3 years old.

So shopping one day in a local B&M store a couple of months ago we came across some lovely small metallic painted whistling kettles, the wee whistle is hinged at the spout and a plastic handle. Cost £4.99 and it's brilliant, it's only 2L but seems to boil 2 mugs of water far quicker than the previous 2 kettles.

Anyway we're sticking with it until it too gets grubby and or fails. Lynn does like the La Creuset whistlers though so we'll probably go for one of those next time around.

At the end of the day even cheap ones do the job, brand ones will look and possibly perform better, they can be very expensive though.

Portable 'cassette' toilet. I suppose 'cassette' sounds better than 'plastic bucket', eh! Thetford has 'Aqua Kam Blue' and 'Aqua Kem Green' - we have been told to use Green as it's more environmentally friendly. What's the difference between the two? Advantages/disadvantages? Price difference?

Basically, the blue works and the green doesn't.

MtB

Gas locker - is it allowed to put a padlock(s) to the hinged hatch? Safety regulations may forbid use of locks? Do gas bottles ever get stolen from the locker? Ours is at the nose of the boat (and for those who like to use nautical terms I mean 'front').

Portable 'cassette' toilet. I suppose 'cassette' sounds better than 'plastic bucket', eh! Thetford has 'Aqua Kam Blue' and 'Aqua Kem Green' - we have been told to use Green as it's more environmentally friendly. What's the difference between the two? Advantages/disadvantages? Price difference?

Whistling kettle not necessary. When cabin fills with steam, you'll know that your kettle is boiling. You will soon get used to the routine.

We have a padlock on our gas locker. I'm not sure that it would deter a genuine thief as it's a rather weedy little thing, but it will put off casual nosey parkers.

If you're going to moor where you told me you were, you will need to get green loo fluid, as the farmer will only let you use the disposal facility (all right, manhole) if you're using ecologically friendly stuff. He's an organic farmer, you see. Not sure how or if he checks! loo fluids tend to be cheaper if bought from a non-canal location, e.g. caravan shop or garden centre.

Now wait for Bizzard to come along with his patent whistling gas padlock....

Yes, Athy, that's why I asked - still haven't heard/read why the Green is more environmentally friendly than the Blue, or why the "Blue basically works and the Green doesn't".

Anyone else uses a padlock on their gas locker?

Interesting comments about kettles - I see I have led a sheltered life up to now... ;)

Yes, Athy, that's why I asked - still haven't heard/read why the Green is more environmentally friendly than the Blue, or why the "Blue basically works and the Green doesn't".

Anyone else uses a padlock on their gas locker?

Interesting comments about kettles - I see I have led a sheltered life up to now... wink.png

Blue contains formaldehyde which kills 'germs' I gather, and green doesn't. Green just makes the content of your cassette smell (slightly) nicer whilst being stored.

MtB

We don't have a padlocked gas locker, but our neighbour does. Neither of us has had any issues with either system, apart from we don't have an extra key to lose :).

Have yet to find a reasonably priced, nice looking whistling kettle though. Bought one from Midland Chandlers and the plastic hand wrinkled on first use!

Do indeed make sure your whistle works. I put the kettle on (the whistle has never worked), forgot about it, sometime later my smoke alarm went off, which surprised me because I didnt have anything on... thats when I noticed the kettle, just in time to see the plastic handle fall off!

Loadsa whistling kettles on Amazon (prob: not sensible if you don't have an address) Name your price - from about a fiver upwards.

I lock my gas locker when we're not cruising. Just can't trust folks darn sarf.

Blue is an invention of the Devil - Marinas etc have to pay extra to have it carted away 'cos its treated as hazardous waste and can't be dumped at a sewage works.

Reminds me of a story -

When we cruised the Avon years ago, we bough and eat some lovely vegetables near Wyre Piddle lock. Returning later, noticed said landowner had move his pumpout tanker to the centre of his vegetable patch...

Draw your own conclusions.....

Another vote for Le Crueset, mine's like this:

92112506-Le-Creuset-Kone-Kettle.gif

Flat bottomed and ultra stable, as well as matching all the other red stuff in the kitchen. Don't know what it cost as Mama bought it as a pressie, but there is no way she paid the advertised retail price. Some of them quote £80 blink.png