Severe flood warnings issued for Thames - BBC News Item

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

"Fourteen severe flood warnings have been issued along the River Thames in Berkshire and Surrey amid concern that people and property are at risk."

BBC News Item

14 out of 16 severe flood warnings are on the Thames

I boat sunk in T&K Marina

another Forum's member's boat broke free and sailed itself down river to end up safely in somebody's garden.

Nasty.

I boat sunk in T&K Marina

How does a boat manage to get sunk on floating pontoons?

Oh no, some properties along the Thames might get some water in their garden.... Call the BBC. Get Paul Daniels (or rather, if possible, Debbie ) to tear fully bemoan the criminal neglect of dredging of the Thames...

I think it might be a bit worse than that Henk. I know some people who now have a couple of feet of water in their houses. They're not all rich.

Mind you, this woman in Old Windsor still seems to be smiling

00856685%20-%20610x404.png

Edited by blackrose

I'm going to ask a dumb question here I think, but I need to just to put my mind at ease as I'm in a different country at the moment.

I am on the 22 mile Paddington Arm pound, am I correct in saying it would take something worse than monumental to make the water level rise?

I'm going to ask a dumb question here I think, but I need to just to put my mind at ease as I'm in a different country at the moment.

I am on the 22 mile Paddington Arm pound, am I correct in saying it would take something worse than monumental to make the water level rise?

yes.on that arm you can go over the north circular road?,you are along way above the Thames

A friend of mine who is moored in Little venice posted some pictures on facebook yestersday and whilst the canalthere is not overflowing it is was ceratinly up to towpath level, the highest I have ever seen it!

Tim

It does beg the question of what they would do if tidal conditions dictated the Thames barrier had to be closed and all that water was tipping down from the upper levels - would it then overspill into central London?

does all the water at the top of the map(north)...run down to the bottom of the map (south)

icecream.gif

Of course it does, that's why the Somerset levels are flooded.

But no problem, CRT will backpump it back to the north. If they were allowed to administer the Thames, there would be even more to backpump to canals that tend to have water supply difficulties.