Talk about generalising.

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

...A really blurry picture that has unreadable writing????

Probably for the best you possibly would not like it if you did.

I could read it (well with my best specs on!) I have seen another letter similar to this I think in Canal boat a while back. I don't really recognise the writers description of the Northern section of the Oxford or the Coventry. We moor on that Oxford section and it seems fine to me but then I don't really want an over manicured canal either.

Got it, just!

Meh. Nothing to get wound up about, imo. The opinion of folks like that letter writer are about as meaningful as the writing on the back of a toilet door.

How many of this opinion though are there in boating organisations though supposedly supporting all boaters?

...rid the waterways of the legion of dirty and poorly maintained vessels that are an eyesore to those who strive to pay their way and keep their boats in decent order....

Well, I may as well throw the towel in then.

No don't there is room for all kinds, well, with the exception of axe murderers etc.

It all adds to the diversity which is what I for one like. It would spoil a great deal for me to have bowling green towpaths, over manicured hedgerows and the canal full of new freshly painted new boats all the same.

How many of this opinion though are there in boating organisations though supposedly supporting all boaters?

Not sure what you are driving at there.

If one is representing "all boaters" then of course there will be people of this kind of opinion and other extremes too. In any organisation even if they do not wish to admit it there will be odd ball views and people on the outer limits of what may be seen to be the normal. As much as I may disagree with much of the view in the article the person has a right to express it regardless of another persons view of it or indeed an organisation representing a minority.

• Greenie 2

It's just another rant is it not?

You see them all the time in Canal Boat magazine too. One of the reasons I stopped buying it.

Or is Mr. Hancock some sort of official in a boating organisation??? in which case that would be different.

Well he does start it off by saying it's designed to provoke comment, so clearly he has been successful in that respect. My only point of agreement with him would be that, whilst there is no need to moan about dirty or tatty boats, there is a need to moan about piles of junk cluttering up the towpath. I can see no excuse for that. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

However, a nightly fee for Continuous Cruisers mooring, now there's an idea...

• Greenie 1

We could have a dedicated enforcement group. They could tour the towpath checking for such things as:-

Sufficient paint shine

White plaited fenders

Highly polished mushrooms

No firewood

All coal bags must be placed in a purpose made velvet stowage bag

All mooring pins must have solar powered warning lights

The boat must be washed and polished at least weekly (this must be entered in the vessels cleaning log) and available for inspection

And on and on

This is the new breed of posh boaters who do it because they have the money but lack feelings for the life on the cut .I wonder what would be said if the working boats where still working in large numbers ?

You sometimes see them on the Internet too. I've even heard tell that rants have been posted to forums on occasion, though it seems unlikely to me.

Of course, but I don't pay to read them on here.

Was it from that tozzer who wrote in one of the mags about not slowing down when going past 'dirty and poorly maintained boats'?

ETA Just read the blurry pic. Yes, it was. Onanist!

I used to be involved in the importation of large American RVs (motorhomes to you and me), favoured by a lot of motor racing teams. I could never refrain from sniggering when the Stateside contact used to tell me that, "Yeah, sure Jahn, it has a built-in Onan Generader"!

Edited by johnthebridge