Staircase locks

Old Stoker

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have a question regarding staircase locks and the transitting thereof. In my limited time on the cut, I have yet to come across these and I imagine they can be a bit trickier than most, especially locking up during busy times. So what is the routine please,I need your advice for when the time comes.

Are they all wide locks? I know that at least some are permanently manned in order to keep boats flowing and also (i imagine) to provide a referee for the inevitable boxing matches that must arise!

Mark

One basic principle: one chamber is emptied into the one below it and by the same token, a chamber is filled from the chamber above it. If going up, you need the chamber above the one you are in to be full, going down you need the one below you to be empty..

This rule isn't always strictly necessary, but it is never going to lead to disaster. The only real exception are the staircases at Watford (4 rise) and Foxton (two 5 rises) which operate on a different principle as each chamber is emptied and filled from a sidepond alongside the lock rather then the next lock in the sequence.

Staircases are wide beam and narrow beam: two narrow boats can pass in a wide staircase but obviously not in a narrow one. Most two rises and some three rises are not supervised, The only time I've used Watford and Foxton the supervision was very light-touch. I've never been through the Leeds and Liverpool but have heard the staff are far more hands on: someone else will know better.

Staircases are generally more common on the northern half of the network, I think there around 30 on the connected system and from memory only three (all two rises) are south of Birmingham. The Leeds and Liverpool canal between Bingley and Leeds has eight, a five-rise, four three-rises and three two-rises

Don't worry, they're easy. The main thing to do is to know where you are (on the canal network, eg use a map) and you'll know the lock you're approaching is a staircase, not a single chamber lock. You'll be amazed how many people don't realise its a staircase, start working the lock like a single one, and then panic once they're half way through it.

Basically, for any 'normal' staircase its top chamber full, bottom chamber empty. If there's 2 chambers, that's it (and yes, its the same to set a 2 chamber staircase up, going either direction).

If its 3 or more chambers, then set the middle chambers to empty if you're going down; and full if you're going up.

In any case, I believe every staircase lock has a noticeboard at the top and bottom with a picture showing how its done.

And when you moor up and walk up to it initially......don't forget the windlass (loads do, and then have to go back to their boat for it).

We had never done more than two stairs before last summer. Then we did the Llangollen entry and then the Montgomery. Both of these are assisted in peak times. It's easy to get a bit complacent about the wonder of the canal network when using single locks for extended times. You then use a staircase and there is a real weakening and "B$&@?y He&l feeling again when you appreciate the marvel of the engineering of the system.

I could tell you all about my first introduction to staircase locks a few weeks ago, but I won't. All I'll say is I got very wet!

Granted I was quite stupid, but if you've never encountered a flight before, I wouldn't dismiss it as 'easy' like someone above has.

I think the easiest way of remembering it is that in a single width flight, with any number of locks, the first lock needs to be in your favour and all the rest against you.

In a double width flight a single narrow boat can pass a pair going the other way ( assuming good sense and a bit of shuffling to the side)

Edited by Mike Jordan

I could tell you all about my first introduction to staircase locks a few weeks ago, but I won't. All I'll say is I got very wet!

Granted I was quite stupid, but if you've never encountered a flight before, I wouldn't dismiss it as 'easy' like someone above has.

Yes they can in, extreme cases be bloody dangerous. Check to ensure no one above you opens a paddle!

First lock I ever did was Grindley. I moored above for the night to think about it. Next morning I went through no problem and there was no lockie in them days. Must say I was very concerned about going through but it was quite straight forward so don't let it bother you.

I'm trying out an analogy - all locks are staircase locks. So if you are going up you have to have the bottom empty and the top full. With a single chamber lock the 'top' is the pound above of course

Richard

The main thing is to take your time and think about what is going to happen with the water when you open paddles. Also watch out for other people, as they may not know how it works and my not have thought about it! On narrow locks you absolutely can not have anyone going the other way, but on wide locks, it is possible to shuffle boats if the other parties are willing, we often do that at Bascote (2 lock/wide staircase).

Basically going down it is top full all others empty, and going up bottom empty all others full. Foxton and Watford are a little different though to the "std" staircase, and there are different rules to follow there in terms of the order you operate the paddles, but the lock keeper (who you need to book in with on arrival) will help you.

Just one point to bear in mind with a three-lock staircase when going down. Whilst, as John above says, all others are empty, don't take this too literally. It is possible to completely empty the middle lock. If this happens there won't be enough water in it to go through after you have emptied the top lock. Many staircases have a white line on the gate or side of the middle lock to tell you what the level should be. Otherwise, with the bottom lock empty, empty the full middle lock into the bottom lock and it should stop at the right level.

At Grindley Brook, be careful going from the top to the middle if you are fairly deep draughted as you can catch on the cill. When Mal Edwards was there, he used to run a bit of extra water through the top lock to lift the level a bit.

The main thing is to take your time and think about what is going to happen with the water when you open paddles. Also watch out for other people, as they may not know how it works and my not have thought about it! On narrow locks you absolutely can not have anyone going the other way, but on wide locks, it is possible to shuffle boats if the other parties are willing, we often do that at Bascote (2 lock/wide staircase).

I do like that concept! I once had a "lady" dash up Bunbury staircase screaming and ranting that they had two boats entering the bottom as I opened a top gate to go in with one boat. No amount of polite explanation would convince her it was possible.

Finally, I simply said "watch and learn". She stormed off shouting "supercilious bastard!".

I have no idea what she meant:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

I do like that concept! I once had a "lady" dash up Bunbury staircase screaming and ranting that they had two boats entering the bottom as I opened a top gate to go in with one boat. No amount of polite explanation would convince her it was possible.

Finally, I simply said "watch and learn". She stormed off shouting "supercilious bastard!".

This happens all too often at Bunbury. CRT should put up a sign explaining that 3 full length narrowboats can use the lock simultaneously (2 up 1 down, or 2 down 1 up).

Its also possible for 4 to use it, but it depends on how long the boats are (the length in the lock where the gates swing open, and the additional length of the cill, gives extra room to position and pass. However its a bit more complicated....so only worth trying if you're confidently within the limit. My record so far is 9 boats in the staircase - 1 full length narrowboat, 1x 45ft, 1x 35ft, 6x 9ft long canoes.

I said "if the other parties are willing" as I don't think it is obvious that you can do this at first, but its not rocket science when someone points it out, which is what happened to me at Bascote the first time I did this, someone explained it and the lights came on! The nice thing with Bascote is that the 1930's GU locks are very long, at least 80ft, so there is room to do the shuffle, even with long boats.

The other thing that seems to confuse people with staircases is the concept of "turning" a lock. Taking a 2 lock staircase example to keep it simple, irrespective of if you are going up or down you need top full bottom empty at the start, but when a boat has passed through the staircase it will be left either full/full or empty/empty, so which every way you are going you will waste/use a lock full of water to get to the start condition. At the staircase on the Droitwich we had a guy have a go at us for following a boat down as we should have waited for him to come up as it was in his favour. He was still below the next lock down at the time we came down the staircase BTW, not waiting at the bottom of the staircase!

When I did my first staircase I moored up, read the board with the instructions then sat and watched so that I understood the sequence of events. Its not that easy to understand from reading the posts on here (which are all correct I may add) unless you have actually done it. Don't be fazed by it just take your time and all will be well.

The worse thing about staircase locks is that they always attract a lot of spectators, helpers that don't actually know what they are doing, and other boaters that will want to rush you and tell you their way is best.

I said "if the other parties are willing" as I don't think it is obvious that you can do this at first, but its not rocket science when someone points it out, which is what happened to me at Bascote the first time I did this, someone explained it and the lights came on! The nice thing with Bascote is that the 1930's GU locks are very long, at least 80ft, so there is room to do the shuffle, even with long boats.

The 'shuffle' doesn't require any extra length - get the boat in the way to go sideways, and you can avoid doing an 'S' shaped manoeuvre going from one chamber to the next.-]

The staircase lock that baffles me is the one at Chester. The middle lock has min (and max?) levels if you know where to look for them, though I have seen one guy try to work through for the first time and he ended up sitting on the bottom of the middle lock. Seeing as it was a springer he got quite alarmed when the boat began to tilt to one side.

I know the instructions are there on the lock side too but I struggle to understand them. I think I'm a bit intimidated by them so I get a bit of mental block and psych myself out

Stay Alert !

Northgate Locks Chester, Middle chamber, two full length boats going down.

Boater following draws top paddles to refill top chamber; as the level comes up the leak

around the quoin post of the offside intermediate gate turns into a deluge onto stour's cabin top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYHuZI_wUE

stour is being driven from the engine room

springy

Edited by springy