take care, turn your stove vents down. North

matty40s

Featured Posts

Watch out, overnight a vicious low is developing that will cross North Scotland and move down the North Sea.

Winds wil generally be westerly switching north and affect Scotland and Northern/eastern England.

Coastal Flooding is a real risk due to the high tides along with low pressure and high winds down the East Coast.

luckily for us, the worst will be felt elsewhere in Europe. Holland will shut the new flood gates for the first time and Northern Germany has put all emergency services on high alert,

Obviously, not an issue to the media seeing as London not affected.

In high winds, don't leave solid fuel stoves unattended. there two very significant dangers - over-firing where the fire builds up and races away causing extreme heat and possible chimney fires. Don't build up a fire with fuel and leave it.

The second danger is backdrafting of the combustion fumes which can fill a cabin with dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in a very short time.

It's a good moment to test the smoke and CO alarms if you haven't tested them this week already.

The very high tide levels are critical for any estuary moored boats and of course for the nearly all of the Norfolk Broads where the water backs up and causes huge flooding problems for a lot of the local boat yards and moorings (good luck guys)

Then tomorrow, ice is forecast. So please take care and avoid being the person I read about most winters having slipped from their boats into icy waters. Decks get very, very slippery. Take care changing over gas cylinders or carrying sacks of coal or wood around.

My mobile signal has already gone in the gales earlier this morning - you may not be able to rely on your mobile in high winds, so it is best to avoid getting into trouble if possible. Emergency services will be very stretched in some areas, another good reason to apply the precautionary principle.

Watch your mooring lines, keep an eye on any over-hanging trees and batten down the hatches. - Stay warm, but stay safe too.

• Greenie 1

Rob talks a lot of sense. Now don't go getting upset, this just an observation but last time we had a significant weather event which affected mainly the South, there were loads of posts about Southern Softies, storm in a teacup etc etc and today?......nothing, just saying

Phil

My mobile signal has already gone in the gales earlier this morning - you may not be able to rely on your mobile in high winds, so it is best to avoid getting into trouble if possible. Emergency services will be very stretched in some areas, another good reason to apply the precautionary principle.

I suppose that the electromagnetic waves can't travel that fast upwind. Why don't you put yourself downwind of the transmitter?

Nick

Rob talks a lot of sense.

I've never been accused of that before

I suppose that the electromagnetic waves can't travel that fast upwind. Why don't you put yourself downwind of the transmitter?

Nick

Very droll, I am actually downwind of it and it's still no good.

I reckon the wind has blown the wires out of the connectors yet again.

Still with the villages around here being evacuated this evening, who needs mobile phones in an emergency..... frusty.gif

I helped my neighbour rescue their chimney and fancy turning cowl that had blown off and sunk! Thank goodness for a big magnet. Tapped it back on and tied it on this time. A few boaters have lost their rain cap.

I had to put some more coal than normal, and open up the fire this morning as the cold wind was blowing straight through the bow door vents and mushroom vents.

My fire isn't affected by strong winds but other makes have been. It was in again this morning as usual.

Jamescheers.gif

Is Macclesfield far enough North to be under threat? I'm not sure if I'm in the North or the Midlands - I think the latter but the local news channel and weather reports tell me we're in the North.

wish id read this yesterday i might still have a shed door , which is now on my jobs to do list

Is Macclesfield far enough North to be under threat? I'm not sure if I'm in the North or the Midlands - I think the latter but the local news channel and weather reports tell me we're in the North.

wish id read this yesterday i might still have a shed door , which is now on my jobs to do list

Macclesfield is most definitely 'up north' by a country mile!!

I've always worked on the idea that Watford to Nottingham is the Midlands. Anything above Nottingham is up north.

Rob talks a lot of sense. Now don't go getting upset, this just an observation but last time we had a significant weather event which affected mainly the South, there were loads of posts about Southern Softies, storm in a teacup etc etc and today?......nothing, just saying

Phil

You mean we should be calling them Northern nancyboys? huh.png

Overtopping defences at Gunnes and Keadby now.

Hull and surrounds have major flooding - police warning people not to walk around as manholes are beimg forced off by the pressure of water from below.

Boston, Wisbech and Kings Lynn now all experiencing flooding and Lowestoft tide gauge is 2m above normal - 2 hours before high tide.

:

Dene Sanders, Deputy Chief Fire Officer at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, tells BBC Radio Humberside that while water levels are now slowly falling, tonight's situation is just "a rehearsal for tomorrow's high tide".

"Prepare yourselves, this is serious. Vigilance is the order of the day," he warns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-25237257

Overtopping defences at Gunnes and Keadby now.

Hull and surrounds have major flooding - police warning people not to walk around as manholes are beimg forced off by the pressure of water from below.

Boston, Wisbech and Kings Lynn now all experiencing flooding and Lowestoft tide gauge is 2m above normal - 2 hours before high tide.

Yes it looks like the centre of Boston is wrecked. If only the proposed tide barrier had been built. The Fens link would have been a step nearer and Boston town centre would be dry.

I have heard that a woman has had to be rescued off a barge at Lynn, but fortunately the flooding is slight. The main defences held at Wells.

The fishing boats at Boston had to be pushed off the quay before the water went down.

Let's hope all the boats at Fossdyke, Surfleet, Wisbech and Sutton Bridge are OK.

NB The situation is not sounding good at Gt Yarmouth.

Just heard from a friend of ours that water has over topped the gates at Mutford Lock into Oulton Broad.

Looks like they have a long night ahead as that means they now have two tides tonight to contend with!

Also a bit closer to home they are evacuating parts of Goole, Gunness and Keadby.

The highest tide ever has been recorded at the Hull tide barrier and the tide has overtopped Boston Sluices!

It looks set to be a long night for some. Stay safe guys:(

Have just been informed that another friends boat which was chocked ashore has floated off its chocks and been deposited in the car park of Fossdyke Marina.

So it's been a high tide there. A17 shut so they can even get there to see what they can do to minimise the damage!

A crisp packet just blew past my front door here in Reading. I'm getting worried.

MtB

Hmm. All quiet here in Sheffield and we know NC is tucked up safe and sound.

It's a bit odd but we feel quite guilty as so many of our friends have found themselves in the path of this storm surge yet we are safe and sound:(

Bit daft I suppose!