Loud thudd noise from somewhere

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Yesterday and today we've been hearing and feeling these large loud thudding sound periodically through the day, and last night, just wondering if anyone in the Seend Devizes area knows what it is. It sounds like a large explosion a long way away. Also sounds like something very big and heavy being dropped from a great height on to the ground.

There's no pattern sometimes it's a few thuds together and some times single thuds about 5 to 10 minutes apart. It reminds me of the noise you hear when near Salisbury Plain when army are testing artillery. There's no military around here though.

It actually vibrates through the boat and the canal water slightly shimmers too, really strange.

I would also say Fracking!

Google it and see if its in your area, i seem to recall it is...

The government has not granted any exploration or development licences for sites within Wiltshire nor has the council received any request from potential developers to engage in pre-planning application discussions.

It's not fracking I'm pretty sure Dave

the Army on manouvres on the the Imber ranges which are only about ten miles from Seend.

That makes sense, I was unaware there were military stuff going on, some big explosions though if 10 miles away. Not heard any now for a good half hour, it's no big deal just wanted to know the cause.

It's not fracking I'm pretty sure Dave

That makes sense, I was unaware there were military stuff going on, some big explosions though if 10 miles away. Not heard any now for a good half hour, it's no big deal just wanted to know the cause.

Are there any building sites nearby. Piling works perhaps?

I would also say Fracking!

Google it and see if its in your area, i seem to recall it is...

It's not fracking, it's the Army.

The Royal Artillary Training School are using live amunituion during their training excercises on the Imber ranges between the 2nd and the 6th of December. A second (even noisier) excercise will be taking place between the 16th and 19th December, when the Land Warfare Centre conduct their armoured Infantry excercises on both Imber and Larkhill ranges. Source - Salisburuy Plain Training Area December Newsletter.

Edited by David Schweizer

It's not fracking, it's the Army.

The Royal Artillary Training School are using live amunituion during their training excercises on the Imber ranges between the 2nd and the 6th of December. A second (even noisier) excercise will be taking place between the 16th and 19th December, when the Land Warfare Centre conduct their armoured Infantry excercises on both Imber and Larkhill ranges. Source - Salisburuy Plain Training Area December Newsletter.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/259423/spta_newsletter_dec2013.pdf

Are there any building sites nearby. Piling works perhaps?

Piles can be painful I believe but not noisy. closedeyes.gif

Lots of warnings about Piles on the Broads and upper Thames. like;-

Piles.

submerged Piles.

Beware Piles.

Hidden Piles.

No mooring to Piles.

Piling in progress.

More Piles.

Avoid Piles.

Piles of Piles.

Edited by bizzard

Take it from me, it is the army. Although we are nearly twenty miles away from the ranges, we have been hearing it for thirty years, and it matches the OP's description exactly, it used to make our old (single glazed) windows rattle. The noise from bird scarers (we get them as well) is a much higher pitch and is not accompanied by the heavy vibration,.

Edited by David Schweizer