Have you been boating today?

DeanS

Featured Posts

Been out on the Glos- Sharpness since last Saturday but had to come home today, shame. Lovely autumn mornings & evenings & pleasantly warm during the day, certainly no reason for the cruising season to ever stop.

Steve

PS I think the problem with Glos lock might be sorted,I haven't checked the stoppages. They worked on it all day Tuesday & let 5 narrowboats & a Tupperware out at about 5-30. I was a bit surprised at that, it was dark by 7-15, where did they all spend the night on the river?

I had to go boating today! I had not planned to go boating today but Python had to go on a mercy mission to tow in a boat with an engine problem. To cut a very long story short we thought we were simply "lending" Python but then we realised that without bona fide Python crew on board she would not be insured so someone HAD to go and mess about on the river ......... It's a tough job!

577351_10151855140514070_1488623431_n.jp

Samuel Barlow coventry canal to sandon lock on the T&M, last hour in the dark. Mad dash to Harecastle tunnel tomorrow before they shut.

So far since Monday am, set off from Willowbridge marina on the GU to Sanford lock, 113 miles and 47 locks.

Did you pass us??? ohmy.png

We are hiring a boat for next week clapping.gif , Wednesday to Sunday on the Lancaster. This is our first long term boating experience with our two dogs. I have already put my order in with Mother Nature for sun (in any form) but no rain please. I am hoping to see some wildlife (of the animal kind), take in a pub or two or three, keep my dogs from jumping into the canal, feeding the ducks and swans, and generally relaxing on the water without pouring down rain like the last time. Can't wait. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Too busy for boating. I've spent this week at my house making picture frames for my lady. Now I'm at hers painting them. In the meantime Jan has been helping her sister bring her newly purchased liveaboard narrowboat from Nantwich back to Stockport. So they are boating.

If anyone sees a boat called Alfian cruising up the Macc today and tomorrow give them wave and wish them congratulations.

I got to sleep on Tonka last night, does that count?

I haven't been boating, I've been directing traffic. The presence of an ambulance in the middle of our busy little road could have caused chaos. But it was all worth it. My neighbour now has a new baby boy which arrived at very short notice, before the midwife, who came running down the street, could get there. Both doing well.

A friend was out on the 26th with me boating , that may have been the day we arrived at the boat lift to come up off the weaver , we arrived to early at the lift moorings so decided to just tootle around the river close by until it was time to moor up on the signed lift mooring to await instruction from the attendant , we could not have got on them anyway as three boats we already on those moorings and we thought they must be going up before us , they were not before us as it happens it seems they just took the view that they could ignore all the signs stating only boats waiting for lift passage should moor up there and then only 30 mins before stated passage , time passed by and the three boats remained where they were while another joined them but this one had to moor on the lift trip boat mooring as it was now time for passage for thier boat and mine , the attendant went and instructed them and then had to shout out to me as i was holding position mid river , whats the boat name etc etc , i should be moored up ready for instruction for lift passage he says but understood that of course the three boats on the lift moorings had prevented me doing so , me needing a hearing aid for both ears never helped but i eventually understood his instruction to go and enter the lift with the boat left with little choice but to moor on the boat trip place following me in , this meant the three boats were on the moorings at least 50 minutes before any alloted time they had been given if they were going on the lift at all , my friend reckoned they could be in need of THERAPY or may have even been taking some CIDER WITH ROSIE , arrogant badwords he called these lot who most likely would be the first to complain about any other boaters who behaved less than perfect , apart from that a brilliant week , Castlefields the tunnels round Preston Brook and the Lift highlights of the trip for me mate who had never cruised more than a mile from Burscough , once again the weather stayed good as it has done every year on visits to the Weaver.