What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, dave moore said:

Mahl stick, please...you knob!???

Doh!

Can you tell I made it last night........... the old paint stirrer plus agffer tape/rag!

20200819_145739_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Is it or isnt it? ?

I picked it up for nothing, it doesn't owe me anything. And, I find that moving it over to one side of the boat cures a slight list (maybe caused because it was on the opposite side before) . Compared to the Victron, it's a lot easier to understand. I also like it, as a piece of machinery. ?

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Higgs said:

I picked it up for nothing, it doesn't owe me anything. And, I find that moving it over to one side of the boat cures a slight list (maybe caused because it was on the opposite side before) . Compared to the Victron, it's a lot easier to understand. I also like it, as a piece of machinery. ?

For less than a fiver you can buy it a mate...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Generator-boat-project-watercraft-barn-find-dc-ac-240-volt-off-grid-redi-line/164339304592

9 hours ago, Higgs said:

I don't intend to use it for the general supply of power to equipment on the boat, the Victron would be for that, if needed. I have the Redi-Line, it's there, and I know it will power a few tools. I'm basically looking for a Swiss army knife of options at the moment. The two items I know I'll need to power at the same time would be the Metabo orbital sander and the large vacuum to take the dust extraction work. 

The Redi-Line is rugged and suits a workshop environment: chop saws, circular saws...

I wonder how it would cope with the arc welder? 140 amp welding inverter. The generator is rated at 8 amp output. It would probably baulk at trying to power the welder.  

The Redi-Line won't work on some tools with electronics, unless the generator has help by first getting it to excite with the use of an incandescent bulb, or something basic.  

And is about 50% efficient so your 8 amps output will be sucking around 300 amps out of your batteries

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And is about 50% efficient so your 8 amps output will be sucking around 300 amps out of your batteries

That sounds like better value than I get from CRT. In fact, they're about to suck another £1,000 out of me that I don't legally need to pay. And of course, when I paint the boat, it will be getting a professional job for free. Judging by some of the quotes I hear people are getting for a paint job, I'll be quids in by quite a few thousand pounds. 

There is a bright side. ?

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Oh, why is that then?  :icecream:

Haha. I haven't scheduled another mention of that at the moment. ? 

..., but no need to fret, it will be mentioned. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Happy 1

Just taken delivery and assembled the new sofabed for the boat. It increases the flexibility by increasing the sleeping accommodation from 2+2 (a king size double and 2 singles) to 4 +2 (a king size double, a small double and 2 singles).

First impressions are it is very comfy as a settee and as a bed.

20200820_152108.jpg

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Nabru?

No, Sofabed Barn.

It has a "clic-clak" mechanism, so very easy to convert from one mode to the other and there are two angles you can set the back of the settee part. Underneath the mattress is storage for duvets, bed linen and pillows.

I paid extra for a water & dirt resistant fabric and a better quality memory foam mattress and a months state pension paid for it. ?

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Liam replaced the exhaust for the Webasto diesel heater yesterday which of course is in the most inaccessible place in the engine bay. Had to take a few bits off the engine to get him in there!

20200822-110858.jpg

A paperclip is useful in so many repairs...

• Haha 2

Sidehatch back on. Now the rear hatch and 2nd sidehatch to do.

20200822_105956.jpg

Put petroleum jelly on the cratch zips. And recoloured the vinyl cratch - diff you can see below. See General Boating for the product used (no connection).

2 (2).jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Liam replaced the exhaust for the Webasto diesel heater yesterday which of course is in the most inaccessible place in the engine bay. Had to take a few bits off the engine to get him in there!

20200822-110858.jpg

Glad to see that you have trained Sidney to hold onto Liam's ankle in case he falls into the engine hole! ??

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Glad to see that you have trained Sidney to hold onto Liam's ankle in case he falls into the engine hole! ??

There was nowhere left to fall too ???

He is laid on the battery boxes there! 

Whoever installed the diesel heater initially must have been a contortionist dwarf........

26 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There was nowhere left to fall too ???

He is laid on the battery boxes there! 

Whoever installed the diesel heater initially must have been a contortionist dwarf........

Yes, that little guy gets around a bit as he has installed stuff on nearly every boat I have been on! ??

• Haha 2

Spent a grim hour plus wire brushing the water tank and slapping on Vactan.

Climbed into the tank to brush the rust and paint vactan in the nooks and crannies then used a small roller on a broom handle to do the rest.

When that has gone off just need a couple of coats of blacking - oh joy.

IMGP4936.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

What have I fettled today?

After several BSS advisories over the years on the lack of low level ventilation I have finally killed 2 birds with one stone.

I have cut out the bottom panels of the front doors (which were rotting) and fixed massive ventilation grills to both doors

and beaded them up. Staining/varnishing is the next job.

But I suspect it mighty be a bit draughty in the front cabin during winter with OTT ventilation?