What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Hate is an awful word. You don't really hate your life. It just annoys you.

Oh dear, I sound like one of those people in the shopping precinct spouting off with a little book in their hand. And no, not the AA or RAC man.

Blame the weather man in the sky for the weather.

lol i was thinking soap box when i read that. Words all depend on how you take them.

Sods law with me always, and this week is no different, i booked 3 days off work a month or so back so i could get stuck into the boat, What happens, the temps drop so much i cant even do anything now as i am onto insulating and the adhesive needs above 5 deg. best 20-22 deg, better move the boat to the Bahamas to finish it off, what a shame smile.png. No point in even doing and work with the resin as its so cold sad.png

I HATE MY LIFE sad.png:(sad.pngfrusty.gif

Can't you stick an electric heater in the boat to keep the temperature up?

I have a list of things I'm hoping to fettle tomorrow (or sometime).

It includes:

1. Fit a new fettled regulator to Refleks

2. Swap nasty modern fuse panel for a lovely old vintage one

3. Check why oil pressure gauge isn’t working on BMC

4. Fix wobbly thunderbox lid

5. Stick back loose tile on sink splashback

6. Stop bedroom door from sticking

7. Add an illuminated switch to central heating pump so I can tell when it’s on

8. Add another 240v socket in cabin

9. Stick back a piece of wooden window trim that’s come loose

10. Make a rack/shelf in engine room for newly acquired original Kelvin tools

11. Replace leaking diesel tap on day tank

12. Replace oil wicks on Kelvin

13. Replace brushes on one of the alternators

14. Renew alternator belts

15. Find a better way of hanging lace plates in back cabin

16. Put in proper bearings so the speedwheel works smoothly

17. Tighten up sloppy gear change chain

18. Remake battery box cover

19. Replace all the locks with a set that opens with a single key

20. Cut one of the large, heavy and unwieldy engine room floor plates into two manageable sections.

It remains to be seen how many I manage to tick off.

Can't you stick an electric heater in the boat to keep the temperature up?

We have a 2kw blow heater, but we got it in the front room as its so bloody cold in this house. I did think of it but its also the outside temp and getting the hull up to temp, just went out and its 1deg, if temps pick up as it says it will during the week i will get some done.

Not fettling as such, just things that needed doing

Drained water tank and hot water system on Shapfell (GRP cruiser)

checked anti freeze

removed batteries and put in Sabina H's engine room on maintenance charge

removed cushion covers from Shapfell's (new)upholstery and put in vacuum storage bags

Removed divider curtain for pattern to have new one made to match new cushion covers

opened ventilators a fraction and locked in place

gave her a pat on the roof and told her to be a good girl until spring

Changed the thermostat in the immersion heater (don't believe it ever worked correctly from new.)

Fitted some LED wall lights in lounge. 6 watts instead of 50 watts and more usable light.

Today's job is ordering a new transducer for the speed and temperature on the Raymarine Tridata.

It seems to have gone AWOL! rolleyes.gif

DSC_1283_1.jpg

DSC_1284_1.jpg

The new transducer has arrived today ready for fitting at the weekend.

Let's see how long we can keep this one in one piece!

DSC_1297.jpg

DSC_1296.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to get my replacement generator into the engine room, proper squeeze to get it through the hatch but now sitting on the sub frame.

I am too knackered to even think about doing any more today (and I suspect I will ache too much to do anything for a couple of days) but at least it is now in and I can take my time doing the rest in the comparative warmth of the engine room.

23723653702_62f1a70ce5_m.jpg

SAM_0167 by mudlarker2, on Flickr

23805991996_24f4e68891_m.jpg[

/url]SAM_0169 by mudlarker2, on Flickr

23749618671_ac57aaffcc_m.jpg[

/url]SAM_0172 by mudlarker2, on Flickr

23205320373_0073b9a9f0_m.jpgSAM_0173 by mudlarker2, on Flickr

Edited by John V

Emptied out the coolant water from the engine bilge that exited through a core plug failure on the Aire in October, upgraded the 240v sockets in the lounge to ones with integrated USB power and let the stove cool down in the warm weather to replace a broken firebrick. That should do it for the rest of the year...

BMC 1.5 Changed oil and filter on Friday after 200 hours. Yesterday changed oil in gearbox, changed fuel filter and managed to bleed the engine...I was well pleased as I remembered which screws/bolts to release. Removed some dirty water from bilge, mixture of diesel, oil and water, still some more to go. Will need to clean and paint area later when I have more time. Lovely warm sunny day to do it as well. Painted stove..... Drained domestic system plus Paloma water heater just in case of a cold snap.

BMC 1.5 Changed oil and filter on Friday after 200 hours. Yesterday changed oil in gearbox, changed fuel filter and managed to bleed the engine...I was well pleased as I remembered which screws/bolts to release. Removed some dirty water from bilge, mixture of diesel, oil and water, still some more to go. Will need to clean and paint area later when I have more time. Lovely warm sunny day to do it as well. Painted stove..... Drained domestic system plus Paloma water heater just in case of a cold snap.

You've been a busy boy Roger! Got more time on your hands now the battle bus is parked up and the campaign trail is behind you? ;):)

Not my boat but spent the day on a tug tracking down an elusive electrical fault........BIG TUG (100 tonner) the standby generator was 36Kva driven by a 6 cylinder Deutz, The main generator was 117Kva driven by a 6 pot Lister The engines themselves were a couple of blocks of flats built by Ruston Hornby. Lots of polished copper pipework but getting a bit scruffy in the corners. The old girl has come down in the world since her glory days but you can still see the quality. I might be retired (officially) and getting a bit too old to climb around things now but I love doing odd days working on things like this. (Incidentally found the fault or to be more exact the two faults that were working in conjunction to cause the problem)

SeaDog - yup for the last few weeks seemed sensible to tour the London canals chatting to people rather than stuck down the back of my boat seeing very few people. Salar isn't going anywhere for a while as just finished being painted at High Line and they are fitting out the bathroom in the hope I'll loose my job and have to spend more time with my boat (perhaps I should tell my wife). I change fuel filter annually (well about 400 hours), same for gearbox oil (used ATF instead of ordinary oil this time, woops. Engine oil every 200 hours and must add some antifreeze. I've also purchased some clear PVC to see if I have the ability to add a clear front cratch cover under the ordinary one, idea is to sit at the front even when its raining, 4 popper snaps each side should fix it down. Thought I might make a fold down table for the cratch using clear perspex rather than wood...I'm not the most practical person so should be a challenge. During the painting they found a split in the seam between the roof and sides which explains why there was a regular damp patch in a couple of places, most likely been like that since she was built in 1988. Spring job is to put on the vinyl stickers front and side.

Roggies mention of the clear pvc for his cratch cover got me thinking about the windows in mine, I am planning on replacing the PVC with TPU since it's a lot stronger and does not crack or split with age or low temperatures

• 1 month later...

post-10094-0-11578200-1455566873_thumb.jpgA computer fan set in a wood frame to push warm air down the boat. It works like magic! The rear of the boat is noticeably warmer.

This is the rear view. post-10094-0-58702700-1455567166_thumb.jpg A bit ugly and needs the cable tidying up.

It hangs from the ceiling on small curtain hooks and can be unplugged and stored when not in use.

It's a variable speed fan and can be regulated to be whisper quiet. I have it set to a timer which switches it off after 3 hours.

It looks a lot bigger in the photos than it is in reality. I'm 5ft 7in and can walk underneath without touching it.

• 1 month later...

Well I have finally fitted the metal air horn that I bought on ebay last November following a suggestion from a member on here to replace the twin plastic ones that kepd breaking due to UV degradation

attachicon.giffan1.jpgA computer fan set in a wood frame to push warm air down the boat. It works like magic! The rear of the boat is noticeably warmer.

This is the rear view. attachicon.giffan2.jpg A bit ugly and needs the cable tidying up.

It hangs from the ceiling on small curtain hooks and can be unplugged and stored when not in use.

It's a variable speed fan and can be regulated to be whisper quiet. I have it set to a timer which switches it off after 3 hours.

It looks a lot bigger in the photos than it is in reality. I'm 5ft 7in and can walk underneath without touching it.

I fitted 3 in the bulkhead above the doorway, they must do something as you feel the draught when you walk under them but I have not been able to measure any temperature change, bit like the eco fan

post-261-0-62477000-1458418772.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler

Legacy is one of those boats with a side walkway, the Starboard side. Consequently all fixtures and fittings are on the port side:- galley, bathroom, seating, bed, people.

I have been trying to find some ballast to help even her up. 56lb weights are now stupidly expensive. Sitting on a bench at the station I was looking at a scrap length of railway track and this got me thinking.

Some research indicated the standard track is 96lb / yard.

I have just come back from NYMR having negotiated 6 x 1 yard lengths of rail which at 40kg each will for sure straighten things up. OK I gave them over the odds for the scrap metal but they flame cut the long length into the 1 yard size pieces which is about all I can manage, that and the money goes to a good cause.

They will go on the swim, under the cratch bench and under the wall cupboard (floor mounted) in the galley.

Job will be done

Dave R

Edited by DaveR