What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Stick at it! cheers.gif

Just wait until you put a top coat on...

When i do it will feel a whole lot better.

I have to admit there has been a time i wish i hadnt even bothered.

But then i have a moment and sit and think what it will be like to actaully chill out and cruise again. :):):)

Not today but last Sunday, refitted eberspacher after new pump and brain, took ages to remove the air lock in the piping.

Fitted new wash machine and rebuilt cupboard as WM now faces a different way.

No, I have learned which end of the soldering iron is hot and remember not to touch it. Most of the time

Richard

Soldering irons should be treated with a great deal of mistrust, often used by people who are far too interested in the dark and mysterious art of electrickery.

Unless of course it's a gert big iron for working with tin. But even then it's a pale imitation of proper joining methods such as riveting forging and weldificating.

Ali duct fabricated for the SR3 in hackenbush's new boat. 1mm Ali sheet, 1 1/4" Ali angle, lots and lots of holes and pop rivets.

To replace the rotten green canvas- should last a lot longer.

DSC_0747.JPG

Edited by FadeToScarlet

If I make another one, I must remember to drill the angle symmetrically, rather than leaving a bigger spacing at one end, as the spacing on one run is wrong because I drilled it the wrong way around!

No, I have learned which end of the soldering iron is hot and remember not to touch it. Most of the time

Richard

I must get my grandmother to teach me to solder properly, she spent the late 1950s and early 60s soldering together circuit boards for radar sets, aircraft and missiles for Sperry's.

• 5 weeks later...

Took the Rev counter home put it in the airing cupboard after reading it on here and what beta marine advised me to do as the hours display didn't work.

F98E2F1C-D62F-4E7D-9844-2B0BCF277968_zps

Last logged service hours was 2010 at 1945 hours. So for a 2003 boat not many hours.

The rev counter still don't work cos some dipstick in the past fitted a cheapo one where these is no w connector for the revs to register.

Edited by rustydiver

Took the Rev counter home put it in the airing cupboard after reading it on here and what beta marine advised me to do as the hours display didn't work.

F98E2F1C-D62F-4E7D-9844-2B0BCF277968_zps

Last logged service hours was 2010 at 1945 hours. So for a 2003 boat not many hours.

The rev counter still don't work cos some dipstick in the past fitted a cheapo one where these is no w connector for the revs to register.

You really have not done many hours since 2010 then!

We've only had the boat since last October. I was supprised how little hours came up.

We have the Volvo Penta version of the same gauge, I believe VDO make them for VP. That also doesn't always display the hours. We have found that after a period sat in the sun it will start to work again. It is still counting hours even though it is not displaying.

I fitted this yesterday. No 4 of 4 port side opening portholes below gunnel level (its a barge so they are about 18" above water level)

I cut the hole in the steel with a jigsaw. Mahogany ring cut with a holesaw. Porthole mounted to mahogany ring with neoprene seal between wood and steel now its almost finished just 3 more bolts to go on :)post-1752-0-58754500-1466673748_thumb.jpg

Edited for autocorrect typos

Edited by magnetman

I did the other 3 last year. By mounting the porthole onto a wooden ring (cut fro a 48mm thick mahogany plank) the porthole frame is isolated from the boat steelwork and I experience minimal condensation so if anyone is fitting opening portholes I can definitely recommend this method !

Changed the oil and filter on my beta marine 1305 engine after it had not been run for 2 years. It was the first time I had done it.

It went well but wish I had a filter wrench as space tight, Modern trad, so put screwdriver through the filter and it came undone easily! Installed filter and then re- filled with morris 15-40 oil.

Used the old oil can for the old oil and that will be disposed off at the tip in their oil waste can tomorrow.

Ran the engine and then let it cool, checked the level, all ok so checked diesel tank and filters, all ok so then went to the dock and had £40 put in.

Then decided why don't I go for a run, so went up from the marina to the first winding hole and then back, half hour each way and enjoyed it and no issues thankfully. After I had re-moored I gave the grease tap a quarter turn.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

I fitted this yesterday. No 4 of 4 port side opening portholes below gunnel level (its a barge so they are about 18" above water level)

I cut the hole in the steel with a jigsaw. Mahogany ring cut with a holesaw. Porthole mounted to mahogany ring with neoprene seal between wood and steel now its almost finished just 3 more bolts to go on smile.pngattachicon.gifIMG_20160623_101739689.jpg

Edited for autocorrect typos

Great to see someone fitting them the right way round.

Changed the oil and filter on my beta marine 1305 engine after it had not been run for 2 years. It went well but wish I had a filter wrench as space tight, Modern trad, so put screwdriver through the filter and it came undone easily! Installed filter and then re- filled with morris 15-40 oil.

Used the old oil can for the old oil and that will be disposed off at the tip in their oil waste can tomorrow.

Ran the engine and then let it cool, checked the level, all ok so checked diesel tank and filters, all ok so then went to the dock and had £40 put in.

Then decided why don't I go for a run, so went up from the marina to the first winding hole and then back, half hour each way and enjoyed it and no issues thankfully. After I had re-moored I gave the grease tap a quarter turn.

Jamescheers.gif

I have one like this so I can put a ratchet spanner on the end https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht720-oil-filter-claw-wrench/?da=1&TC=GS-040810720&gclid=CjwKEAjwka67BRCk6a7_h_7Pui8SJABcMkWRCKdEgCXnW5oBKfq80q8lsNqYET8ZhTRRiQZeO3XBJxoCVz7w_wcB

Looks goodcheers.gif I'm going to buy one and a funnel and keep them in the trad engine bay cupboard. This way I'll find them when I next need them!

Jamescheers.gif