"Engine Restore" Does it work.

Soltrykk

Featured Posts

There must be some potential politicians on this Forum as from 22 replies to date not one has answered the question namely 'Has anyone used Engine Restore from American Technolgy.co.uk and if so did it work '.? I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works .

Yes I have and yes it did the job that was required of it.

If you need to get a smokey old series land-rover through the MOT then it will improve the emissions temporarily.

The Land-Rover returned to its smokey old state within a few days.

There must be some potential politicians on this Forum as from 22 replies to date not one has answered the question namely 'Has anyone used Engine Restore from American Technolgy.co.uk and if so did it work '.? I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works .

No one here mentioned Engine Restore to me, I dare say a lot cheaper than the €3000 engine restore I just purchased.

And totally useless...

Enjoy your new motor, it will be money well spent!

If its any consolation, the bill for the yam is steadily rising, cases head and cylinder are off for powder coating, the crank is away for bearings and balancing to match new forged piston, and there's talk of some expensive carbs to boot. Bill will be getting on for a third of your boat engine, it has a measly 25a charging circuit and is air cooled so no good for running a calorifier.....

I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works.

I think the OP should buy some and report back.

I'm inclined to fund the experiment if he/she PMs me.... It would be nice to nail this one, once and for all.

MtB

Some of these things do work to a lesser or larger degree but only temporarily, Holts used to do a ''piston seal'' which you squirted through the spark plug holes of petrol engines, again it worked temporarily, long enough to flog a vehicle or get it through the MOT. There's also various makes of ''radweld'' again that can work too providing the leaks not too bad but tend to clog up other parts of the cooling system like the small tubed heater rads. Beaten eggs of course will do exactly the same job.

A mate of mine swears by putting 200ml/90litres of 2 stroke oil in his diesel Prada. He says Mercedes don't actually say it works BUT have done tests which they do not publish. I put in approximately the same amount of Morrisons snake oil each 100litres of diesel and my Beta sounds as smooth as. Even after leaving it for 4 months to get away from the cold each winter. And no, I have had no diesel bug either. This reminds me, I must do some calcs to see exactly how much condensation I can expect from cooling/heating of the fuel tank, a furfhy I expect because I have had zilch water in my fuel in 3 years. Put the stuff in, it will lubricate the injector pump and injectors if nothing else.

Oops, made a mistake, the thread is about oil additive, not fuel additive. And I have only had 2 pints as well! Sorry people.

But what's interesting is that the fuel additive may very well work as well. Consider, the problem with fully combusting fuel at low temperatures ( tick over when charging) is the unburnt residue and unburnt fuel washing the cylinder walls of most lubrication. This transfers to accelerated wear of liners and rings and reduced alkalinity (KoH values if I remember correctly) of the oil. So by adding fuel additives the residual unburnt oil actually gives a degree of lubrication to the liner/ring interface at low engine revs.

Me, I'll just have a glass of red now to ensure my internal lubrication is taken care of.

• 1 month later...

Amtech Engine Restore has been around long enough for the internet to destroy it reputation if indeed it is 'snake oil'. Plenty of reviews from users who are happy with its performance......and plenty who claim it damages oil pumps.

Years ago a friend of mine used it on his old cavalier that was down on compression on one cylinder. Solved the problem. I seemed to recall though it was not a lasting 'repair' as soon as the oil was changed the effect was lost.

Yes you do! you have to put 250ml in at every oil change.Does it work? It kept my old nicosil lined engine going long after it should have been dead so we were as surprised as anybody

Peter

• 5 years later...
30 minutes ago, Bee said:

Snake oil. But..... I have actually met a few people whose knowledge I respect who say it works.

DavidT (above) has just joined the forum to say what a wonderful product it is and how it's helped him get through the winter on a knackered National with only one cylinder working - by February it had fixed the other cylinder, had also sorted the knackered 400Ah Albion battery bank to run like a 660Ah Trojan set and also made his old black and white Phillips Tv accept HD 5G colour input from a Sony Betamax video recorder from 1974.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

DavidT (above) has just joined the forum to say what a wonderful product it is and how it's helped him get through the winter on a knackered National with only one cylinder working - by February it had fixed the other cylinder, had also sorted the knackered 400Ah Albion battery bank to run like a 660Ah Trojan set and also made his old black and white Phillips Tv accept HD 5G colour input from a Sony Betamax video recorder from 1974.

Does it also provide a tasty mix of Spiced Pork And haM in a convenient tin for long term storage?

Just asking, and resisting the urge to post the video ... 

(But I reckon @rusty69 can't resist those Vikings and their Lobster Thermidore ... )

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Does it also provide a tasty mix of Spiced Pork And haM in a convenient tin for long term storage?

Just asking, and resisting the urge to post the video ... 

(But I reckon @rusty69 can't resist those Vikings and their Lobster Thermidore ... )

Nah, that won't get Rusty off his 9999.

• 1 month later...

For our newer remembers. This poster has made three posts one of which he has deleted. The two remaining point to the manufacturer's website here there are claims but little if nay proper scientific evidence that these claims  are true in the long term. The product he seems to be pushing is probably a viscosity improver (in the absence of any other information as to what it is) and filling with a substantially more viscous oil may well have similar effects.

The product may be of some use in hiding problems during an MOT or a car sale but I am not convinced.