"Engine Restore" Does it work.

Soltrykk

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

For our newer remembers. This poster has made three posts one of which he has deleted. The two remaining point to the manufacturer's website here there are claims but little if nay proper scientific evidence that these claims  are true in the long term. The product he seems to be pushing is probably a viscosity improver (in the absence of any other information as to what it is) and filling with a substantially more viscous oil may well have similar effects.

The product may be of some use in hiding problems during an MOT or a car sale but I am not convinced.

An old trick in the past, when selling older cars with side valve engines which were getting a bit "loose" Some people were even known to add sawdust to try and hide the knock of worn crankshaft bearings.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

An old trick in the past, when selling older cars with side valve engines which were getting a bit "loose" Some people were even known to add sawdust to try and hide the knock of worn crankshaft bearings.

I know & dropping the sump and wrapping a stocking around the affected big end. A mechanic I was apprenticed to has a an of SAE 80 engine oil for such things. Goodness knows where he got it from, never seen it before or since.

Everyone is familiar with STP oil additive........thick and sticky as sn**..............anyhoo,it turns out this stuff is an excellent ultra high pressure lubricant for metal stamping and forming,and deep drawing of brass and aluminium.

7 hours ago, john.k said:

Everyone is familiar with STP oil additive........thick and sticky as sn**..............anyhoo,it turns out this stuff is an excellent ultra high pressure lubricant for metal stamping and forming,and deep drawing of brass and aluminium.

Some 40 years ago my then neighbour bought n almost new Ford Crapi, not sure of the details, but it was the engine known for wearing the camshaft at an alarmimg rate. He used STP in each oil change (largely because he got it for free from work) and the camshaft never went on his car. Might be luck of the draw? I don't know. 

I've just checked & YES we have used this exact product 'Ametech RESTORE Oil Engine Restorer & Lubricant ', only because there was a tin lying around. I chucked it into my 2013 1.9 Vivaro van which has 130000 miles on the clock prior to it's last MOT which it, somewhat miraculously, passed with flying colours. I have no-idea if the additive helped with the test but the engine is a lot less smoky and seems quieter. than I remember it.

4 hours ago, Clodi said:

I've just checked & YES we have used this exact product 'Ametech RESTORE Oil Engine Restorer & Lubricant ', only because there was a tin lying around. I chucked it into my 2013 1.9 Vivaro van which has 130000 miles on the clock prior to it's last MOT which it, somewhat miraculously, passed with flying colours. I have no-idea if the additive helped with the test but the engine is a lot less smoky and seems quieter. than I remember it.

I used it in my old XK8 engine when it was getting tired kept it going for another year until we found a good low mileage steel linered engine to fit, so it worked for me that s all I can say