Crick - did you buy anything?

Kwacker

Featured Posts

I exhibited at Crick last year, dutch barge winches, bow stars, small castings and other boat stuff that I make and we did better than many, i.e. we broke even allowing for van hire and all the other costs, decided it was probably not worth the bother, I think it needs to decide whether its a sort of Sunday market or a dedicated boat show, it`s expensive if you are not a big operator.

That exactly is what we thought and why we didn't bother to visit this year. I reckon if one of the

I went purely on the basis that julia was there!

I'm a bit of a mountaineer / walker / climber / massive perv and julia is my perfect bird. I even named my Land Rover Defender after her!

I also went to take the missus to show her around a few boats as I want to build a 35 foot weekend / holiday escape for myself and to let out to friends and family so it's always good to sniff around for build tips. I can't afford to buy one but I have a family business in fabrication and it's been my ambition for the last eight years to build myself one. The show is great to see things first hand but do appreciate the criticism of the pricing of some stuff.

I bought nothing more than food, drink and some glorious fudge and almost aqcuired a restraining order from the fantastic Julia.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed Julia's talk, taking the missus around a few boats which has really whetted her apetite to another one of my hairbrained 'projects' and most of all a fine day in the sun.

And I got a photo with my ideal woman. Result.

JuliaBradburyampme.jpg

Edited by uncle bede
  • Greenie 1

Had a look round a few of the boats and am amazed at the price differences (a 25ft Nb for £52K ? ) could nearly have bought the 60x 12 fat boat for that... (was it £57K can't remember ?)

I guess you're thinking about the Sea Otter which had a 32 ft boat for 52k (and that's because it had100 hours on the engine - a proper brand new one would be over 60k) but Sea Otters are always expensive because they're made of aluminium. The Aintree Beetle was 25ft at just under 30k.

I exhibited at Crick last year, dutch barge winches, bow stars, small castings and other boat stuff that I make and we did better than many, i.e. we broke even allowing for van hire and all the other costs, decided it was probably not worth the bother, I think it needs to decide whether its a sort of Sunday market or a dedicated boat show, it`s expensive if you are not a big operator.

This year was much busier than last year, no doubt helped by the much better weather, and not having to compete with thousands of Jubilee events. Judging by the size of the show this year (I thought it was a lot smaller, and many people who've regularly been there were missing) I suspect quite a few traders had a bad time last year and decided not to come back. A shame, because the weather was fantastic and the footfall seemed pretty good. Certainly the traders I spoke to seemed to be doing quite well this year. Edited by adam1uk

This year was much busier than last year, no doubt helped by the much better weather, and not having to compete with thousands of Jubilee events. Judging by the size of the show this year (I thought it was a lot smaller, and many people who've regularly been there were missing) I suspect quite a few traders had a bad time last year and decided not to come back. A shame, because the weather was fantastic and the footfall seemed pretty good. Certainly the traders I spoke to seemed to be doing quite well this year.

There certainly was a lot less traders there which I think might cause numbers to shrink next year? I went this year for specific items and was a little disappointed that I have come away without them.

Their paint is proof that you get what you pay for.

hmm I'm not entirely convinced about that and suspect there relatively small production runs probably account at least partly for the higher cost. Anyway the point is they were selling stuff so you could speak to Mr speight get his advice and then decide whether to buy his product rather than just come away with a glossy and then have to find a 'stockist' ....

I brought 2 new chairs for the new boat, and done a deal on a new fridge and toilet!

took me ages to get round the show as kept getting stopped by people wanting to say hello to my Dogclapping.gif always happy for people to say hello to him!

so if anyone stopped to say hello to the English Bull terrier on Sat then that was me and my hubby

Drove there on the Monday had a lovely time, drooled over all the lovely boats, cried myself to sleep on monday night when I checked my bank acc and still short of the £128k I had set aside for my wishlist by about.... arhhh yes £128k to be exact tongue.png

seeing the historic boats up close was a thrill, after seeing the rebuild of Raymond on the tv a couple of years ago it was nice to see it for real..

Bought a few trinkets for my nearest an dearest ..yup I am a softy smile.png , on a light hearted note ... got fleeced by the lovely guides and scouts on litter patrol at every turn " told you I was a softy" smile.png but they did a great job and worked hard all day..

Enjoyed the music especially Murphys Marbles rendition of "Fishermans Blues" by the waterboys... Boaters and fishermen who would have thunk it tongue.png

Will defo go there again hopefully when I have a boat of my own smile.png ... now did I check the lining of the sofa ....

(if you were still moored there on Monday ) The free boat trip went past a boat with lovely Bull Terrier sitting on its chair ( was too busy saying hi to the dog to notice the boat name sad.png

Edited by Maggsy

hmm I'm not entirely convinced about that and suspect there relatively small production runs probably account at least partly for the higher cost. Anyway the point is they were selling stuff so you could speak to Mr speight get his advice and then decide whether to buy his product rather than just come away with a glossy and then have to find a 'stockist' ....

I don't think it is Mr Speight's company any more, and hence technically no longer his product, although I think he is retained as some kind of technical advisor, with the company now owned b others.

Unless it has changed again since the last explanation I heard.

Happy to be corrected if there is an update.

What's your web address?

I am kicking myself - I should have posted that I was exhibiting in the food hall and could have met more of you.... If you saw the foraged jam stall Wild Side you saw me!

We now have three vinegars and cordials in the kitchen, bought by my wife and daughter while I was queuing up for a pasty.

Never fancied going to Crick,most of the stuff at a trade show would not be relevant to my sort of boating. maybe I should visit to find out how modern life works!

No, I think you may already have got things fairly correct, and I'm not sure Crick has any more relevance to your kind of boating than it does to mine!

I promise not to "find out how modern life works", if you do the same!

(Although I don't think Crick will necessarily answer that question for you anyway!).

I don't think it is Mr Speight's company any more, and hence technically no longer his product, although I think he is retained as some kind of technical advisor, with the company now owned b others.

Unless it has changed again since the last explanation I heard.

Happy to be corrected if there is an update.

I'm happy to confirm this from the horse's mouth, having spent about 45 mins chatting with Mr Speight on Sunday including covering this exact subject! (Although most of the convo involved me learning in detail how to scumble, but without opening any tins :D )

MtB

its was my first time and lasted! best part the 4 working boats on show

Ex-working boats?

I can recall the following:

Mendip

President

Nutfield

Raymond

but I think I'm was one more at least. The one with the mock-up 'back cabin' installed facing the wrong way around, owned by Dudley Canal Trust....?

MtB

Shared locks on the GU yesterday with Medip on the way back to Ellesmere port from Crick..

Such a nice couple on board and such a lovely boat

Ex-working boats?

I can recall the following:

Mendip

President

Nutfield

Raymond

but I think I'm was one more at least. The one with the mock-up 'back cabin' installed facing the wrong way around, owned by Dudley Canal Trust....?

Sagitta, possibly?

(Not that I was there, so I'm guessing!.....)

Sagitta.JPG

Shared locks on the GU yesterday with Medip on the way back to Ellesmere port from Crick..

Such a nice couple on board and such a lovely boat

Mendip is the perfect boat in my opinion. Still has a wooden back cabin. Wonderful....

MtB

Sagitta, possibly?

(Not that I was there, so I'm guessing!.....)

Sagitta.JPG

Yes! That's the one Alan (Mr Encyclopaedia! )

So five 'working boats' at least....

MtB

Help for Hero's loud and over pushy.

As someone who has just left the forces and does a bit of charity work for HTH, can I just point out that those two guys that were collecting for "our injured soldiers" are in no way associated to Help the Hero's and were not collecting for HTH. I also thought they were a bit pushy.

As someone who has just left the forces and does a bit of charity work for HTH, can I just point out that those two guys that were collecting for "our injured soldiers" are in no way associated to Help the Hero's and were not collecting for HTH. I also thought they were a bit pushy.

HTH? Isn't it HFH? Or is that another one?