Attacked by an Angler

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

What is it with fishermen?

A few days ago we were down on The Chesterfield Canal. Approaching a lock there was a fisherman right in the middle of the short lock landing. I warning him of our intention to moor up and he just shouted that he was there first. I pulled in, trying to avoid his keep net, but the wind was high so maneuvering was difficult.

We had few more words and he just wouldn't accept the boats have right of way at lock moorings. He'd been doing it for years and hadn't heard of any rule like that.

Luckily he wasn't violent but my wife was still quite concerned about him.

Bob

What is it with fishermen?

A few days ago we were down on The Chesterfield Canal. Approaching a lock there was a fisherman right in the middle of the short lock landing. I warning him of our intention to moor up and he just shouted that he was there first. I pulled in, trying to avoid his keep net, but the wind was high so maneuvering was difficult.

We had few more words and he just wouldn't accept the boats have right of way at lock moorings. He'd been doing it for years and hadn't heard of any rule like that.

Luckily he wasn't violent but my wife was still quite concerned about him.

Bob

We regularly get them not on the lock landings themselves but close enough to them to make the approach much more difficult than it needs to be - of course they are quite entitled to fish there but if they moved their lazy backsides a few feet further down the cut it certainly would be more considerate.

I know folks have said "I would do this or that in a given situation" but believe me when something happens to you in person any well laid plans go out the window. In stress situations you act almost instinctively.

But Mr Smelly is correct beware of "weapons" in case they are used against you. Someone suggested belting the intruder with a mooring chain, but what if he managed to get it off you...........? He now has a ready made weapon to attack you with.

Some folks are like me, slightly built, in no way equipped to deal with a young thug.

I didn't suggest others should use a chain just what I would have done. Though I am now 66 years old he wouldn't have got it off me but he would have regretted his actions.

That is their way of dissuading you from creating work for them, they would rather go for a cup of tea. Easy to say I know, but perhaps you should have called their bluff.

I sometimes think so too but I had a headache at the time and just wanted to go home.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, how frightening.

There was a fishing match near Middlewich yesterday, is that where it happened, down from the junction where Kings Lock is? Sorry if I'm miles off course.

This definitely needs reporting to the police, with photos. That top he's wearing is one of those advertising the energy drink 'Monster'. Quite appropriate.

I hope you're ok, and hope that horrible man gets his comeuppance.

Looking at the pictures the incident happened at Billinge Green flashes which are approx 3/4 mile past Orchard marina heading towards Middlewich. The flashes end near the railway bridge in the photo.

Steve

David, you say a weapon was brandish but reality it was only a stick whereas John produce a kitchen knife which is more serious. I think John would have his knuckles rapped and the bloke would get a way Scott free.

Darren

Not sure I agree with this. Your boat if your home and you are allow to protect it with reasonable force. There was a case in Kent when a burglar was breaking into a house through the window and the owner stabbed and pinned his leg to the window sill. nothing happen to the the owner but the burglar got charged.

Edited by Puckle

If/when you report it, just don't mention the knife! There are some odd fisher folk round those flashes - when I was there last year there were a group of lads fishing, deliberately turning a radio up to full volume for the pure joy of being annoying to everyone else. I suspect you were right about drink/drugs - it seems an extreme reaction from someone in a normal frame of mind. Not that fishermen are ever really in a normal frame of mind - luckily most of them are just gloomy.

But don't let it wreck your head - it's happened once in n years - and will almost certainly never happen again.

smile.png What a horrible thing to happen and like everyone else I am glad that you are ok now.

I must admit the thought of having a horrid encounter with someone while I am out on my boat, especially as a lone female boater, has made me think about what I would do. I am lucky in a way that I have got quite a lot of self-defence experience and am a very confident ( have a very fiery temper) person. Plus with my work I have a lot of expereince of working with people with challenging and unpredictable behaviour and have had personal protection training. Nethertheless I tend to go on red elert if I find a person or persons behaviour makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

When I was last on my boat travelling from Gayton to the Northampton flight, I had to wait at the start of the flight due to a problem with the lock for a couple of days. It was ok while other boaters were there, but I had to wait there a bit longer. A couple of blokes aged early 30's passed by and remarked on my boat and if I was on my own. NO! replied moi my hubby is just getting stuff out of the car as we are on holiday as hes on military leave. They walked off but sat on the grass near by... then a chap from the flats came down and asked if I was ok ( apparently he had been watching these two blokes from his flat) he gave me his number and said if ever I was worried to call and him and him and his father would come right down. I had got talking to his father earlier as he was fishing further up and we were chatting about the repair on the lock. I suppose the moral is if you feel wary of someone ecterea maybe take evasive action, like move in the middle of the canal.

Sadly there are a lot of very weird people about and we all have to be aware, as horrid incidents like this can happen anywhere. I would also report it to the police.

This man is nothing less than a bully infact hes not a man at all and he needs to be found and stopped. Once again try not to let this spoil things for you.

Lorraine.

Edited by tree

This is why I am very glad to have a long cabin shaft with a point on the end always to hand at the back of the boat. It should keep any assailant at a good 6 foot distance.

Six foot!!! Go for the longer 12 footer gives you more leeway.

Sorry to hear this John, I hope you are OK?

I would also speak with the police, whilst I would have probably done the same or similar it does seem that the law as it stands does put us on the back foot somewhat.

With the current trend (certainly in London) of the law coming down pretty heavy on people using bladed articles, rightly so, I would hope that you don't get some excited bobby/cps/judge who can't tell the difference.

Anyway, I personally think you'll be fine and it's more important that this idiot is flagged up to all who should be concerned.

Sorry to hear about this John - must have been a horrible experience - glad you came out of the other side of it unharmed.

It reminds me how vulnerable we are as we pootle along on our narrowboats.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I would firstly like to say for anyone reading this that is considering getting a boat that incidents such as these are very very rare. I am now in my 8th year of Continuous Cruising and this is the first incident that I have had and I still consider myself a very lucky person to live this lifestyle.

• Greenie 4

I've occasionally had a bit of verbal from Anglers there & a some threats from others further up, but nothing like that, just glad you were not hurt. I've had problems in Middlewich with Kids on the boat & chucking bricks etc, so I called the Police & they were very good so really would recommend calling Middlewich Community Action on 08454586382.

We'll be down that way in a few days & will keep our eyes open.

Cheers, Brian

I've occasionally had a bit of verbal from Anglers there & a some threats from others further up, but nothing like that, just glad you were not hurt. I've had problems in Middlewich with Kids on the boat & chucking bricks etc, so I called the Police & they were very good so really would recommend calling Middlewich Community Action on 08454586382.

We'll be down that way in a few days & will keep our eyes open.

Cheers, Brian

Funnily enough, that is one of the few locations I have had serious verbal from maggot drowners. Must be something in the water, preferably anglers if they come close enough giving grief!

George ex nb Alton retired

Is a paintball gun a lethal weapon ? Seriously , I think a well aimed camera is a great method of disuasion , and staying in the middle of the canal whilst calling the cops . I had trouble with a youthful fisherboy down by Worcester , threatened to throw a rock at me cos he didn't see nor hear me coming in time to move his rod , ( 56ft boat and a noisy Lister )

Is a paintball gun a lethal weapon ?

The trouble with any form of reprisal is that yobs on the towpath go quicker than we do, so they just wait up at the next bridge and have another go. As you say, the camera & a mobile call obviously to the police is the best reponse. But this kind of thing, as has been said is extremely rare - and in fact much rarer than it was thirty years ago. The last thing I had chucked at me was a barley sugar in Chester four years ago - I said "thank you" politely and ate it. Seemed to leave them a bit nonplussed.

The last thing I had chucked at me was a barley sugar in Chester four years ago - I said "thank you" politely and ate it. Seemed to leave them a bit nonplussed.

I had a nearly full bottle of very nice red wine thrown at me once when I said hello to a passing day boat.

It would seem that they had had enough of being told to slow down and the thrower was very apologetic as he wasn't expecting a friendly greeting.

Fortunately I caught it cleanly so no apology was necessary (I didn't think they were going that fast either).

• Greenie 1