Scam artist or not?

beetooex

Featured Posts

Hello all,

We're selling our boat at the mo and we got a very strange reply to the advert. I'm pretty sure it can't be legit so look out if you're selling online...

Have a read if only for a good laugh.

Email Enquiry from BoatsAndOutboards relating to the following advert:

PAA64600 - 39 foot, perfect first boat! - £ 19999.00

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/PAA64600

Enquiry From:

donald joshua donaldjosh03@gmail.com

Message / Question / Enquiry Remarks:

Hello seller do you still have it and in good condition,let me know the final price .....email me back at donaldjosh03@gmail.com Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Donald,

The boat is still available but we've had a few offers that we're going to decide on this week. You'd be more than welcome to have a look but sooner rather than later.

The boat is in great condition inside and out. The hull has been signed off by a professional surveyor, the exterior paint is only a few years old and we've finished the cabin to a high spec.

Have a look at our main advert on Apollo Duck to see some more pictures. Be sure to click the 'photographs' link at the top of the page to see them all.

http://apolloduck.net/290944

Get back in touch if you've any questions or you'd like to view it.

Thanks,

Ben

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for getting back to me , can you assure me that i will not be disappointed buying this from you, I'm interested and ready to buy . I don't always be in state cos i always move from one place to another for business , as I'm an Engineer and General Contractor, am in Singapore right now for a contract , I will appreciate if you can email me with more pictures, as i won't be able to see this in person.

I will be glad if you can tell other interested buyers that the item has been sold. I will be paying you via PayPal. I can only pay through pay pal at the moment as i do not have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay. If this is acceptable, advice soon ...if you don't have an account, you can easily create an account fast and easy at www.PayPal.com. I will need you to provide the following information to facilitate the Payment

Your PayPal name and PayPal email address.

Your address for pick up And your phone number for me to forward it to the pick up agent for them to schedule time and date for the pick up.

final Selling Price.

I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up agent to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after funds has been received

let me know if you wiling to proceed and Get back to me as soon as possible

Regards Donald

It's a scam.....

I've heard of a number of scenarios like "

I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up agent to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after funds has been received" turn out to be scams - -

Don't touch it, would be my opinion

(and besides - you also smell a 'rat' - otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question, would you?)

He thinks he is on ebay.

The scam is, he pays by paypal, you deliver the 'item' in person, he claims not to have received it and asks paypal to refund him.

Paypal ask you for a copy of the delivery tracking receipt and you won't be able to produce one as you delivered/he collected in person. Paypal then reverse the payment to you and refund the buyer.

Simple and vicious, eh!

MtB

He thinks he is on ebay.

The scam is, he pays by paypal, you deliver the 'item' in person, he claims not to have received it and asks paypal to refund him.

Paypal ask you for a copy of the delivery tracking receipt and you won't be able to produce one as you delivered/he collected in person. Paypal then reverse the payment to you and refund the buyer.

Simple and vicious, eh!

MtB

This is totally correct

I've heard of similar scams but not involving a boat

The email doesn't even sound correct which should be a warning sign

Press delete on the email and empty the recycle bin

Play along, it's good fun :lol:

I've done this before and wound up some scammer a peach.:lol:

Yes, sell him the boat, then post him a nicely packaged brick in a box by DHL.

Then when he demands a refund from Paypal, you can supply them the proof of delivery....

:D

MtB

The two scams are

1/ payment by paypal with a collection so no delivery documentation trail -it will be recharged by paypal when the buyer clams not to have received it.

2/ They are offering you payment for the delivery agent as well as the boat, so when the whole deal is recharged by paypal you will lose the delivery agent's fee too.

the normal scam is,

you will get a fake email saying he has paid for the item and extra for the shipping agent

the shipping agent will then send you an email for his fees,

you pay the shipping agent ( Usually a few hundred £££ )

you then find out either the payment was fake or reversed leaving you out of pocket for the fees paid to agent

I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up agent to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after funds has been received

Regards Donald Duck

Five 'pick ups' in one sentence. Either this guy is into electric guitars or, as you've already suspected, he's one of many whom believe it's so easy to scam the English.

It's a wonder he didn't sign off as I have edited. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to sell my motorbike on BikeTrader at the moment and have had a similar response to my ad.

I thought it must be a scam but went along with it just in case it wasn't and saw no harm in giving out my email address. I then received a fake "Paypal" email saying that the funds had been sent to my Paypal account. Of course there were no funds in the account so I told whoever it was to get lost.

I thought the way the scam must work was that the scammers would then say the payment was stuck in the system and they needed the rest of your paypal details - account number, password, etc. Then you'd find that money had disappeared from your bank account?

Hello all,

We're selling our boat at the mo and we got a very strange reply to the advert. I'm pretty sure it can't be legit so look out if you're selling online...

It is a scam, although a variation on the usual version, which involves stolen cheques, and Western Union.

The scam works, because it actually exploits your suspicions.

The scammer knows that for a high value item, such as a boat, you are going to be concerned about parting company with the boat until you have the cash, and relies on the fact that because they aren't trying to pressure you to release the boat, you will become convinced that all is well.

The scammer doesn't want your boat, and will not collect it.

He wants to pay you, using stolen money (whether a stolen cheque or a hacked paypal account), then get you to pay the "agent". By the time it comes to light that the money is stolen, and you have had to hand it back, you will already have paid the "agent" and you are out of pocket to that extent.

As others have said, playing them along can be fun.