Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Imperial measurements are available, and are still understood. Converting from one to the other does not change the thickness, nor does it change the rate of advancing corrosion.

Once I twigged that 1/16" is within 1% of 1.6mm I had an easy thing to remember. So 5/16" = 8mm, etc. etc.

Just multiply the number of 16ths of an inch you want by 16 and you get the equivalent in millimtres x 10.

(Approximate equivalent not precise equivalent)

Does it work? 12 x 16 is 192 but 3/4 is 19.05mm. Maybe not all that good but reasonable.

Metres to feet = multiply by three then add ten percent.

3.2m would be 96+9.6 = 105.6 = 10.5ft approx.

On 07/12/2023 at 09:48, springy said:

Mopped or wiped out daily / as required ?

springy

No . Didnt matter.composite bottoms on small boats so damp/ wet bilge anyway.

As the butty should be down by the head you have a bilge pump ahead of the cabin bulkhead, in our case it was 2 one each side of the keelson, just in front of the mast.

its academic anyway unless the boat is permanently clothed up.

Steel narrowboats rot from the inside out,  and the outside in . The pitting on some internal hull sides is very evident, on boats that have carried cargo.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

I managed to teach the younger daughter who is 11 how to use the basic functions of a slide rule. I expect when she shows it to the teacher he is going to be confused !

You mean "guessing stick"

It can be very accurate. I used to  be able to do all the trig functions and got very close to calculators set to one decimal point. I like it because it makes you think about how the math is actually working rather than just relying on a machine which you may have applied erroneous inputs.

Forgotten how to do all that as brain has been out of action too long.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 14:23, Morris said:

I don't think I've seen Carnaby mentioned on this thread yet? 

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/harland-and-wolff-40-traditional-for-sale/744627

Saw a picture of that on Facebook today (3) Facebook and I passed her this week at Grendon

On 12/10/2023 at 10:57, rivergate said:

Progress is a lovely little boat to my mind - and the advert here has given me something to think about for sure..although Id take the ropes off her deck straight away lol

Shes in very good nick considering her age and while there is an issue in her hull it wasnt that that led me to sell her...as silly as it sounds I simply found her uncomfortably small 🤷🙂

The issue in her hull is this - on her front right hand side the swim plank - longest plank from forend down side and first on bottom boards has a hole in right on the bend where her bows straighten out ...the original plank used has very open grain there and on the bend rott set in and worked its way straight through...I plugged it with a few blocks, redid the internal sheeting ( the whole is about a foot long all way through, packed with resin and horse shit lol and put a metal alli plate over it which was bent over and under bottom boards...it was water tights but vulnerable 🙂

..the rest of hull when I had it out and cleaned off and blacked and caulked was very good 

The guys I sold her to - I showed them the pics of hull hole - did a really nice reskin of her cabin and deck as that was leaking a bit at time..

..very pretty little boat and a lovely feel to her.. 🙂👍

sorry about spell check - I cant see how to get back to edit duh! lol 🤷

Passed her this week. image.png.5a2ab31066888bbb72c05238956be4dd.png

39 minutes ago, rivergate said:

Dan - last time I spoke with him he was coming to you...I think he said some engine troubles 🤷 

yep, the dynamo has been removed from the engine between the sales particulars being prepared and the handover. very strange.

On 22/12/2023 at 18:43, stagedamager said:

yep, the dynamo has been removed from the engine between the sales particulars being prepared and the handover. very strange.

...really ..I assumed it had broken...how weird is that..? I guess someone wanted that dynamo very badly...lol

On 22/12/2023 at 18:43, stagedamager said:

I can think of another boat seller with similar tendencies...

Alec

On 25/12/2023 at 08:28, rivergate said:

...really ..I assumed it had broken...how weird is that..? I guess someone wanted that dynamo very badly...lol

I can’t imagine many people would want that dynamo, it is unusual in being chain driven from the flywheel end, I’m not sure there are that many Fowler marine engines around now, the list can’t be that long….

17 minutes ago, tom_c said:

I can’t imagine many people would want that dynamo, it is unusual in being chain driven from the flywheel end, I’m not sure there are that many Fowler marine engines around now, the list can’t be that long….

You are making the assumption that it was removed by someone with a clue, who actually had a use for it, rather than just thinking it was 'valuable'. I suggest from previous experience that this is not always the case...

Alec

Edited by agg221

• 2 weeks later...