Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Impressive. I watched a video on 'SPARKY', a similar tug in use in NZ. Two and a half hours running time between charges which could be twice a day. Equal in power to a diesel tug of a similar size. 1400kW charge rate in just over one hour through glycol cooled cables. That's a lot of power from . . . ? Grids that are under strain from the current demand. All hail the electic tug. Fine if there's a close by hydro-electric power source.

What is not mentioned, or even hinted at, are two important factors; fire risk from battery packs (witness the disastrous fires of electric powered vehicles from scooters to buses), and the issue of humanitarian disaster in the processes of mining the raw materials for battery manufacture.

EV car sales have plummeted in recent months. Their resale value is rock bottom. The claims of cutting CO2 by xxk tonnes emitted suggests a pandering to the CO2 global warming concept. That is a scam.

Silently (actually, it's not so quiet) through the Dudley tunnel in clean air is fine. But as in so many things - 'There's no free lunch'.

Interesting that the Chinese tug was built prior to : -

"The technical specifications and regulatory requirements for all-electric ships in China have not yet been clarified. The Ministry of Transport in China has set up a research group for the development and supervision of fully-electric ships. "

Regulations? This is China . . .

Edited by Derek R.

22 hours ago, MtB said:

Brill, thanks!

I wasn't meaning to be demeaning by asking, I genuinely didn't recognise it. I've never seen a Sabb in the flesh. Designed from the ground up as proper marine engines I gather, and occupying the space between vintage lumps and modern marinised industrial diesels. 

Or should that be from the sea bed up? 

They also come in 30hp versions. Not as slow as some - max revs about 1850rpm -but slow enough.

Mines a 2J-HR which means its got a Hurth box on it and not Sabb box.

20230918_084831.jpg

It reminds me a bit of the Ara but I think that one was restored. 

Someone will know. 

Just now, stagedamager said:

Argus

Pete Hawkers old boat? 

!

He used to keep them looking 100% when he did the coal around the Southern GU

IMG_20230921_113805.jpg.db9f73bfdca8a0f3ca9804717e52787f.jpgpppic

I'm sure both of Pete's boats had been refooted and rebottomed. If so this looks suspiciously like a major bargain.

Looks like some welding work down there in this picture from HNBOC

Obviously a lot of water from above. 

IMG_20230921_114550.jpg.57b074d4f3fac05a9bb81a120adb0e63.jpg

Definitely Argus as the lamp and the licence holder are the same.

IMG_20230921_114512.jpg.5a97d7ad1fc6a865fa0b16db79306df9.jpg

(images from HNBOC)

There is an abandoned Bantam at Maidenhead on the wall below the lock. Been there ages the EA have ticketed nobody has been down to it. Floating fine someone stole the cabin top portholes so I put gas bottle over to stop the rainwater. Looks to have an air cooled Lister. 

I was advised to ask the EA if interested. 

39 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Is this one of the boats which was hiding in the stinkhole arm below Springwell for a long time? 

Nice item. 

It spent many of its post Pete years tied to the bank between Slapton and Marsworth, I was always sad to see it deteriorating every time I passed by.

46 minutes ago, merline said:

Is this the one that used tow ARGUS around after it was in Pete's ownership?

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Edited to add:

£5,000 ???  It can't be that rough, surely?

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Edited to add:

£5,000 ???  It can't be that rough, surely?

I think it might be a bargain. 

(Argus I mean) although a decade of having water in it won't be nice. Similar happened to Archimedes and Ara when they were out of water at the marina by London city airport and Michael Pinnock told me they were in a really bad condition. 

2 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Argus

Argus has been moored on the Aylesbury Arm around Wilstone the last couple of times I have been through.

It's being sold by Commercial Boat Services, which suggests CRT have taken possession of it, perhaps for non payment of licence or other breach of the Ts and Cs.

• Greenie 1

Steel back cabin is nice. Not original but if done right it is hard to argue with it. 

Bargain. I bet someone has already bought it. 

Not been up there for a while (2009) but is the advert image opposite Ovaltines at Kings Langley?

Edited by magnetman

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

Steel back cabin is nice. Not original but if done right it is hard to argue with it. 

Bargain. I bet someone has already bought it. 

Not been up there for a while (2009) but is the advert image opposite Ovaltines at Kings Langley?

Not sure its a bargain particularly given its condition. Correctly priced to sell more like, I'd say.  Needs one helluvalot of work to get it back to nice condition when it will be worth what? £20k?

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Not sure its a bargain particularly given its condition. Correctly priced to sell more like, I'd say.  Needs one helluvalot of work to get it back to nice condition when it will be worth what? £20k?

It would depend on internal hull condition but its got a steel back cabin and easily verified by looking but I think its been refooted and rebottomed so it could be in really quite good order. Of course nobody wants butties and some people would object to all the dents. I think the dents are great. In another life I'd be onto it yesterday. 

At least the heavily dented bows might make it less attractive to someone who wants to cut it. It could survive as an intact butty which would be nice. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think its been refooted and rebottomed so it could be in really quite good order.

From memory it went into Roger at Braunston to be done but that must be 15-20years ago. A lot could have happened in that time😱

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

Argus has been moored on the Aylesbury Arm around Wilstone the last couple of times I have been through.

It's being sold by Commercial Boat Services, which suggests CRT have taken possession of it, perhaps for non payment of licence or other breach of the Ts and Cs.

Thet were/are?  moored around Aylesbury for a long time

argus 2.jpg

argus 1.jpg

Interesting that the Bantam tug is at Greenwalls farm but the butty is advertised as located near Watford. 

Same seller CBS who are the CRT S8 contractor. 

ETA I see the CBS default location comes up as Chester but the boats probably are both on water near Watford. 

Edited by magnetman

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/yarwoods-short-boat-for-sale/731907

Short Boat WYE price asking price reduced.

One of the ones the CRT S8'd its now at Greenwalls Farm. 

Down to £33,750 asking which is quite an interesting price. Steel top but windows are nackered so a lot of internal work. Seems to have had a lot of overplating which is bad/good. 

Nice item 1947 Yarwoods built with For 6D in it. 

A lot of work also a lot of boat.